'99TL. How do I make it run like new?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
FamusTLX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99TL. How do I make it run like new?

Just got on board with AZ and I wanted to ask some questions about my little baby.

1, I wanted to know if I should use regular oil or synthetic oil when I do my oil changes. I spoke to a service guy at Acura dealer and he told me that you could use anyone as long as your consistent with either regular or synthetic.

2, Also I wanted my car to run like new so what things should I do interms of a tune up? i.e. sparks, EGR cleaning etc.
Any and all idea on what I should fix/change is welcome.

PLEASE PROVIDE AS MUCH DETAIL INFO AS POSSIBLE!

THX!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Syn or dino doesn't matter. Mix and match to your hearts content.
2. If your car is running fine, there's nothing to do. This isn't the old days when there were points and a condenser to change.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 PM
FamusTLX

Unhappy

Originally Posted by MikePA
1. Syn or dino doesn't matter. Mix and match to your hearts content.
2. If your car is running fine, there's nothing to do. This isn't the old days when there were points and a condenser to change.
I really don't think its running well by any means.

1, "Clonk" coming from all four tires when a hit any uneven bump on the road.
2, Change all four rodars and pads but still vibrates when breaking from high speeds.
3, When I'm off the accelerater and not breaking it feels as if the car has a "slight gerk, bounce" so I'm not sure if its the rodars or something to do with the suspension.

I've searched the forums but havn't found any solutions for these problems
Old 02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not the resident expert by any stretch, but your search issues could be spelling related!

Rodors = rotors
Gerk = jerk

Sounds like you may have a wheel balance issue instead of warped rotors?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

Sea Foam... it will do wonders for you car.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
hates the winter

How many miles are on it.

The motor mounts should be checked, spark plugs, wheel balance, wheel alignment, tranny fluid, should all be checked and changed if needed.

Mobil 1 for the oil changes. Can't go wrong.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 PM
FamusTLX

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
How many miles are on it.

The motor mounts should be checked, spark plugs, wheel balance, wheel alignment, tranny fluid, should all be checked and changed if needed.

Mobil 1 for the oil changes. Can't go wrong.
I got the dealer change one of the engine/motor mounts already but don't know if the other ones are crack and just about to go. I'm up in Canada and right now its very cold, when I start her up in the morning and put it into reverse the entire car shakes and then other times you won't even notice.
I read some threads that state that this is normal for this type of Acura and others are say'n that it could be the motar mounts or tranny. Don't know fur sure

Any help.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:12 PM
FamusTLX

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
I'm not the resident expert by any stretch, but your search issues could be spelling related!

Rodors = rotors
Gerk = jerk

Sounds like you may have a wheel balance issue instead of warped rotors?
So your saying that a wheel balance will solve the problem I have with herky/jerky ride when I'm offf the gas and brake??
Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by FamusFace
I really don't think its running well by any means.

1, "Clonk" coming from all four tires when a hit any uneven bump on the road.
2, Change all four rodars and pads but still vibrates when breaking from high speeds.
3, When I'm off the accelerater and not breaking it feels as if the car has a "slight gerk, bounce" so I'm not sure if its the rodars or something to do with the suspension.

I've searched the forums but havn't found any solutions for these problems
1. This could be dependant on several issues: I would start by making sure your tires are inflated to their proper levels. We need a better description then "clonk." And is it from the tires or the wheels? It could really be a gazillion things... If i had to take a guess... I'd say it might be time for new shocks/springs. (and that's just a stab in the dark)

2. what kind of rotors did you put in? Did you use the proper procedure to break the pads in?

3. Relates to question 1. If you just replaced your rotors, then it's most likely not the problem. I think it's definitely suspension related. But like I said, make sure tires are inflated correctly as that's the easiest solution. If it doesn't fix anything, I'd say problem 1 and 3 are due to a bad suspension.

We need more info about your car in general. Is it on stock suspension? ON stock wheels or aftermarket?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 AM
FamusTLX

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
1. This could be dependant on several issues: I would start by making sure your tires are inflated to their proper levels. We need a better description then "clonk." And is it from the tires or the wheels? It could really be a gazillion things... If i had to take a guess... I'd say it might be time for new shocks/springs. (and that's just a stab in the dark)

2. what kind of rotors did you put in? Did you use the proper procedure to break the pads in?

3. Relates to question 1. If you just replaced your rotors, then it's most likely not the problem. I think it's definitely suspension related. But like I said, make sure tires are inflated correctly as that's the easiest solution. If it doesn't fix anything, I'd say problem 1 and 3 are due to a bad suspension.

We need more info about your car in general. Is it on stock suspension? ON stock wheels or aftermarket?

Everything on the car is stock and I'm at 100k (km up in Toronto Canada). The clonk is definitely coming from the wheel and its most prominent in the two front tires. Not sure how to describe it but its as if every time a hit anything uneven in the road I would hear a 'clonking noise' coming form the wheel.

A friend recommended a local repair shop and the guy said the 'bushing related to the stabilizer link) is the reason why I'm having these issues. Does this sound like the right assessment for this situation??

What do you mean by 'breaking the pads in?' Not sure what kind of rotors they are but they cost about $40 Canadian each. Not sure how much proper rotors go for. I'll call the parts store and ask them what kind of rotors they are.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:39 AM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya man, just do a normal tune up, ie. oil, oil filter, pcv, tranny flush if you want, air filter, sea foam, plugs, throttle body cleaning, tension the throttle line, clean everything up.

its pretty simple and common sense.

as for the "gerking" while braking, it can be either of two things or both: warped rotors or unbalanced wheels. just because someone resurfaced or replaced your rotors doest mean that they were done correctly or manufactured correctly. bring it back and complain, they have to fix it if you just had it done. likewise, the "clunking" when hitting uneven pavement can be a few things: ball joints, motor mounts (most likely), and shocks (most likely). the latter of the those are probably your problems.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Advance

Just some small advice i've noticed when putting our car in gear. If your on a hill or a slight decline and you put your car in park, it will roll forward a tad bit and land on the parking pawl. When you go to start the car up in the morning or w/e and take it out of gear it will often be a hard jerk or loud noise because your disengaging the parking pawl. To remedy this press down on your parking brake THAN put it in park. So you don't settle on the parking pawl. Hope I made sense. Get a wheel balance because it's fairly cheap at local shops and while their at it, go out and have them check out your suspension when its on the rack. Look at your shocks and make sure they aren't leaking, check bushings aswell. Goodluck with your endeavour's to make your car run like new.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Worn sway bar bushings and end link bushings will cause some major noise as the sway bar shifts around- especially low speed very loud thunk thunk over bumps

If a professional mechanic says that will fix it- have him do it. Its easy if you have the right tools and skills.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Have the mechanic put the car up in the air and inspect it. When he finds something loose or worn have him physically show you what's going on. That way you can see for yourself and know that he isn't just replacing part to make $$$$. This is what I do=then discuss the repair costs etc. and get er done. Pretty simple eh? You can write and write stuff here, but no one can diagnose your car online.