Zaino issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zaino issues...

I just applied my first coat/coats of the Zaino line. I did the whole Dawn-clay bar-wash-Z1-Z5-Zwhatever, etc. job.

The Z1 w/ Z5 took FOREVER to dry, even under fairly warm w/ low humidity conditions. After the the Z1/Z5 had been on the car for about 16 hours, I buffed it off and still had smearing. I used a damp towel to remove the smears as the directions Zaino set suggested and still had some evidence of smears. It seems no amount of buffing or wiping will remove this.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do you suggest fixing/avoiding it? Has anyone tried using just the Z5 or Z2 w/out the Z1 Polish Lok?

I was going to apply the Z2 for a the deeper shine it is supposed to achieve, but if it is also that damn hard to remove, forget it!

Overall, the finish looks spectacular w/ absolutely no swirl marks or scratches. But in some light, the car has a greasy looking haze. I'm probably the only one that one notice it, but that's all that really matters.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm... I recall a similar problem the first time I used my Zaino stuff. Scared me actually... I thought I'd wasted my money!

First, I remember a "greasy," "smeary" look after applying Z-5 the first time.

Second, it turns out that I was using too much product and didn't let it dry long enough. (Even though like you I waited a long time.)

Now, I only use a very thin amount (took some practice) on my applicator (I dampen the applicator with a spritz of Z-6 first) and life is much rosier!

My free advice is to wait a day or so and go ahead and apply a thin, thin, thin (did I say "thin") coat of Z-2 to your car. You want just enough product to produce a little haze. (Remember: Less is *more* in this case)

Let it dry (until you can rub a tiny bit off with your finger AND it leaves a shiny spot!) and then wipe it off with your clean, white, cotton towels (turning frequently). This worked for me... hopefully it'll work for you.

And once I learned how to apply thin coats of the stuff - wiping it off became a much, much easier (and quicker) task!

Good Luck,

Vincent

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by vperkins2 on June 11, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-11-2001, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Zaino is tough to get the knack of applying and it is EXTREMELY affected by humidity. When you say "low" humidity do you know what it was? I noticed you're in Virginia. Chances are, even low humidity there is just too much for Zaino. And I agree that you probably put too much on. Here in AZ, with the extreme high temps and extreme low humidity, I recently did Z1/Z2. I wasn't paying attention to how much I put on and it still took almost 5 hours for it to dry at 100+ degrees with less than 10% humidity!!!! On the other hand, if I put just Z2 on in those temps and put the correct amount on it will dry in about 5 minutes.
Old 06-11-2001, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

When I say low, I don't mean AZ low but probably around 30%. I suspect the Z1 is what is causing the greasy look as it is greasy going on.

Is it possible to use the Z2 or Z5 w/out the Z1? Does it make that big of a difference?
Old 06-11-2001, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by RedLined:
When I say low, I don't mean AZ low but probably around 30%. I suspect the Z1 is what is causing the greasy look as it is greasy going on.

Is it possible to use the Z2 or Z5 w/out the Z1? Does it make that big of a difference?
Well, you've already put it on there now, so don't worry about it. Next coats you put on are just Z5 or Z2 by themselves. They dry MUCH more quickly because it's just the one product and not both Z1 and Z2/Z5. They will come off just fine. My last job I had a little bit of smearing. I just got it as good as I could and still put the Z2 on the next day. When I took it off it was fine. I also try to put the car out in the sun AFTER I put Z2 on. Helps it to dry a little quicker. Even though it dries fast out here, I'll still leave it on for an hour or two outside in the 100+ temps. You just can't be too patient with Zaino.

Also, I've never tried Z2 without Z1. I wouldn't recommend skipping it though. When you follow Zaino's directions perfectly (hard to do when you're first starting out, I know!) the stuff is just amazing.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS on June 11, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-11-2001, 05:47 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
30% humidity in Virginia - don't think so. The Sahara has higher hunmidity than that!
Old 06-11-2001, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking

Ok, maybe not 30% but it was 50% the night before according to The Weather Channel and felt less the night I Zaino-ed my car. Just trying to illustrate that it was not southern Louisiana humid. Also, the car was in my garage which is less humid than outside.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:17 AM
Pro

Question

I'm starting to wonder if Zaino is all that easy to use

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-13-2001, 02:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Lonny,
Zaino's easy to use once you learn not to apply it like a wax! A little dab'll do ya in most cases.

Redlined,
You only need the Z1 once -- and as GoldTypeS mentioned -- now you'll be applying Z2 or Z5 by themselves. No need to double-up for a long time. I agree your drying time should be greatly improved.

V.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by vperkins2:
Lonny,
Zaino's easy to use once you learn not to apply it like a wax! A little dab'll do ya in most cases.

Redlined,
You only need the Z1 once -- and as GoldTypeS mentioned -- now you'll be applying Z2 or Z5 by themselves. No need to double-up for a long time. I agree your drying time should be greatly improved.

V.

NOTES:

1. If you do the Zaino in the hot sun (application and removal -- you will use more than most people say you should).

2. Need to reapply the Z1 every 10 coats (thank you Sal Zaino). (I just did it after my 10th coat, now on 12th.)

3. If you can, you get the most mileage out of the product (little goes a long way) IF you can apply it in the hot shade, but let it dry in the sun (my opinion and experience).

4. Cleaning first with the Z6 gloss enhancer is really cool. You will make sure that no water spots get "buried" under a coat. I have been doing this, and only have two tiny pits in the grill, one small pit in the bumper after a year of driving.

Finally, Zaino is coming out with a new product that will enhance the stuff you have. You will be able to skip the Z1 every 8-10 coat stuff. You will also be able to apply more than one coat in a day. COMMING SOON

Old 06-13-2001, 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by EricL:

NOTES:

1. If you do the Zaino in the hot sun (application and removal -- you will use more than most people say you should).

2. Need to reapply the Z1 every 10 coats (thank you Sal Zaino). (I just did it after my 10th coat, now on 12th.)

3. If you can, you get the most mileage out of the product (little goes a long way) IF you can apply it in the hot shade, but let it dry in the sun (my opinion and experience).

4. Cleaning first with the Z6 gloss enhancer is really cool. You will make sure that no water spots get "buried" under a coat. I have been doing this, and only have two tiny pits in the grill, one small pit in the bumper after a year of driving.

Finally, Zaino is coming out with a new product that will enhance the stuff you have. You will be able to skip the Z1 every 8-10 coat stuff. You will also be able to apply more than one coat in a day. COMMING SOON

What do you mean you clean first w/ the Z6 Gloss Enhancer? Even if the car is filthy? Please explain to the newbie.
Old 06-13-2001, 08:16 AM
Racer

I just recieved my Zaino order and I'm thinking when I should start the process.. It sounds like most have been doing one step each day in order to let the coats dry. Have you been driving the car between applications?

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S w/Navi
Old 06-13-2001, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

I didn't drive it between applications. I didn't want any dirt to get on it risking rubbing the dirt around during the next application. Definitely a pain in the ass.
Old 06-13-2001, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

What do you mean you clean first w/ the Z6 Gloss Enhancer? Even if the car is filthy? Please explain to the newbie
If the car is really dirty -- it is time for a car wash. I always get a few water spots from drips. I do a Z6, and it removes ALL of the water spots and makes for a perfect base to apply the Z2 (or Z5).

If the car IS NOT TOO DIRTY -- I will use a car duster, and a few tamps with some blue cotton shop cloths. I have enough Zaino on the car, that most of little stuff just wipes right off. I use the Z6 on a soft towel to clean the car BEFORE I apply the Z2. I will only do this if there is only a light layer of dust on the car -- I'm not advocating a "Z6 car wash"! The Z6 gets the car perfectly clean and slick. Now the Z2 (or Z5) goes on perfectly, with no junk stuck under the Z2/Z5!

If you really get crazy you can do a Z6, then a Z2, then a Z6. The Z6 really makes the car slick, and helps keep bugs, bird dropping, tar, and sap from sticking to the car.

Note: I tamp and wipe my car down as soon as I see a nasty "hit" to the car. The Z6 works great 98% of the time for removing small sections of gunk. The car is almost 1 year old, and looks better than new (12 coats).
Old 06-13-2001, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Tag66:
I just recieved my Zaino order and I'm thinking when I should start the process.. It sounds like most have been doing one step each day in order to let the coats dry. Have you been driving the car between applications?

That's what Z6 and a car duster is good for. I usually HAVE to drive my car in between apps. So, I just dust it off and Z6 it before applying the next coat. Much quicker and easier than doing a full wash. I'd Z6 it even if it has sat overnight in a garage without driving. Dust is everywhere folks and the finish needs to be perfectly clean before applying a coat of wax/polish/Zaino/whatever. The only time I haven't used Z6 first was when I immediately put on my car cover after an application of Z2.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS on June 13, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-13-2001, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

EricL,
12 Coats!! Wow! Other cars must get blinded when they look at you!!

I also agree with your advice... I also use Z6 before and after applying Z2 or Z5. I've had pretty good success so far! Not to mention a lot of jealous neighbors (I live in an apartment complex).

Good luck, RedLined!

Vincent

Old 06-13-2001, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool

Tag66,

Just remember that temperature, humidity, and amount of product used will affect the length of time it takes your car to dry. I'm located in Northern Cali so I have low humidity and pretty warm temps to work with.

And as EricL mentioned, (try to) apply in the shade and move your car into the sun to dry, if possible. My first time out I was able to do the Dawn-wash, Z1, Z2, and Z6 steps before I pooped out. The next day I started with Z6 (again), Z5, and finished with Z6. Just take your time, bring a few brewskis, and enjoy.

Later,

V.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by vperkins2 on June 13, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-14-2001, 04:03 PM
Racer

Man, I don't have those problems...The stuff dries here in so cal within an hour!

Comes off real easy too....
Old 06-14-2001, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Thumbs down

Guys forget about Zaino!
The stuff is just too hard to deal with. I've got a black TLs and I use either Griot's polish and wax or the Soverign wax made for dark color's. "red or black" They are so easy to apply and remove that using them is fun. My paint looks like it's wet and is easy to keep that way. Wash it once a week,use speed shine(15min.)every time and wax with a good quality carnuba paste wax and be very carefull how you wash your car and you will be happy. Griot's publishes a excelent manual about car care that everyone who loves car's can learn something that they did not know.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:42 PM
Pro

I just received my Zaino's order, and now after reading this thread I'm dreading putting the stuff on - I want a nice shine, not an experience that will take two days to complete!
Old 06-14-2001, 09:54 PM
Racer

I'm in the same boat, Xorg... Just got mine and from the posts around, not looking forward to applying it. Of course it's humid as all hell right now in the tri-state area so it can't be done now anyway. Waiting for that nice day when I can wake up at 6:00 and get started. No way am I killing a whole weekend to put on the different coats though. Life is too short-- I wanna drive.

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S w/Navi
Old 06-15-2001, 02:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh well, I guess you worry-warts could just drive through one of those gas station car washes and pay a little extra for the "wax." That way you'd get to "drive" a lot more. j/k

Feel free to send me your unused Zaino products - it can't hurt to keep some in stock!

Now get out there and Zaino your cars!
(Geez... how many wussies can there be on the East Coast anyway? I thought you folks were supposed to be tough!)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by vperkins2 on June 15, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-15-2001, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess the main problem here on the East Coast compared to the West Coast is the humidity. Where I am in VA, it's supposed to be 70-80% humidity this weekend. The first time I applied the Zainos, the humidity was about as low as it gets this time of year -- I'm guessing less than 40%. It was definitely a lot of work but the results were amazing. I've spent the last few days driving up and down the interstate through the remains of Tropical Storm Allison and you would think my car would look pretty dirty. Amazingly, it does not. If you look closely, from w/in a few feet of the car, you can see some dirt where water was streaming off but he car really does look pretty clean. And the water didn't just bead -- at night it looked more like little glass balls all over the car. As soon as I would get up to about 30 mph, ALL the water would stream right off.

Yes, it was a pain in the ass the first time but to me the results have been worth it. I just let my TL-S sit for a day or so and drove my other car. It's just like being w/o it while it gets serviced. And I just figured I washed my car and got a workout at the same time (all that buffing really works the triceps).

I'll be washing and polishing it again this weekend using the abreviated application process (i.e., w/o the Z1) along w/ the tips given here, so hopefully it will be a bit easier, even though it's more humid. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Did the Z5 yesterday w/out the Z1. I let it dry for a couple of hours in my garage and it came off w/ ease.

So, it seems after the first Zaino session, it's much easier.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:44 PM
Pro

Well, its raining like crazy here today and I have to go back to work tomorrow, so another week without Zaino...

Old 06-17-2001, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Check that -- I put on Z2 not Z5.