Your thoughts on Touchless Automatic Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your thoughts on Touchless Automatic Car Washes

I have recently been using Shell's Automatic Touchless car wash service for my 2003 TLs
It happens to be quite convenient for me, although it does not do the best job it does get off dust and any bird crap.
I do handwash wash my car thoroughly when the weekend schedule permits but in between I do the touchless thing.

I am concerned however with the high pressure spray that it uses. Do you think it could create a paint issue eventually?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thx
Old 06-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what a tochless car wash is. I have not taken my TL to any car wash in the 3 & a half years I have had it. The ACURA dealer has washed it when it was serviced a few times. I don't know what they have & my car was real dirty at that anyway.This was like during our bad snowy winter this year. I hand wash my car. But back to your question I don't think it would be a problem with high pressure. The problem would be with any cloth type thing touching your car. If nothing touches your car but water your fine.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

some are touchless but they still have 2 guys standing outside to help dry some spots.... those are the guys i dont trust one bit

had my bro's car scratched cuz one of them had a ring on that he rubbed against the car... argued with them but it was our word against theirs so didnt get anywhere
Old 06-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Instructor

As long as you dont dry it your fine. Dirt is still on there. No cloth ones either. Spray will be fine, no problem.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Advanced

I was told by the dealer of my last car (Grand Prix) _not_ to go to a touchless car wash. Apparently since nothing touches your car they need very harsh cleaners to get things clean. The cleaning solution they use will get in around the doors etc., and tends not to wash completely out, then it rots your body.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Bada Bing

My car will never see a car wash (other than at home) unless there is a hose/power washer, a wash mit and a guy who cares enough to do a great job and the sign out front says hand wash or detail shop.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SlyTLS
My car will never see a car wash (other than at home) unless there is a hose/power washer, a wash mit and a guy who cares enough to do a great job and the sign out front says hand wash or detail shop.
You're not going to get more of a car freak than me, I've been know to wash my car when it's 19 degress out.

There's nothing wrong with a touchless carwash since nothing touches you car but water. That said, not all touchless carwashes get your car clean and I only go to places that have a specific model. It's called the Laserwash 4000. It's the only one I found that gets all the dirt off, especially the winter salt and crud.

When the temp is above freezing, I always hand wash, but when it's cold, it's the best alternative.

As for Cardumb's post of what a dealer told him, I say BS!

I've been going to touchless carwashed for over eight years and it's never affected the paint on my cars. I've always gotten compliments on my cars finishes.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:34 AM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

I only occasionally go to the touchless carwashes, and then i usually use a damp and a dry towel afwerwards to get off any stuck on bug and get rid of any watermarks. However, when the weather is cool enough (I live in Florida) I handwash our cars. I am such a cleaning freak though that when i lived in Nashville a year ago and it rained just after i washed it, i washed it again. Overall, I washed the car 3 times in 2 days. That put the waterbill up.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

The problem with these carwashes is they all damage your rims.
If you have used these carwashes often, just check the outside edges of your passenger side rims. If you do this often enough, eventually, you will damage your rims with gouges and scratches.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by sweetride01
I only occasionally go to the touchless carwashes, and then i usually use a damp and a dry towel afwerwards to get off any stuck on bug and get rid of any watermarks. However, when the weather is cool enough (I live in Florida) I handwash our cars. I am such a cleaning freak though that when i lived in Nashville a year ago and it rained just after i washed it, i washed it again. Overall, I washed the car 3 times in 2 days. That put the waterbill up.
The unique struggles of us Florida boys.....Gohawks63 said he would wash his car when it was 19 degrees out.....I think sweetride01 will be with me on this...there ain't no way way that I would even think of involving my body with water outside while dealing with sub-freezing temps(no, I didn't forget the windchill brr). When you have your home built....have the guys throw in a drain along with hot an cold water in the garage! Then you're chillin'!LOL

Gohawks63, you love your ride! Go ahead,Dog,!
Old 06-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant even find a touchless here.
I only do hand wash and sometime presssure wash underneath the car. Never went throught a auto-carwash before. Dont trust the cloth, wax, soap, they're using. And oh yeah, those wax that they use leave you with a funny looking windshield afterward.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

I have been told by someone that those touchless car washes recycle about 80% of the used water. The water is caught in the floor grates and is "somewhat" filtered then re-used. I was told this by a couple of people. Basically they are saying that they reuse the water and any little particals of dirt that don' get filtered.......... well guess what happens....... sandblasting effect.....

I don't know if this is true but have heard it from a couple of people and one of them was someone who pours concrete for those carwashes..........

Just my 2 bits......
Old 06-12-2003, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by vtecbiggie
I have been told by someone that those touchless car washes recycle about 80% of the used water. The water is caught in the floor grates and is "somewhat" filtered then re-used. I was told this by a couple of people. Basically they are saying that they reuse the water and any little particals of dirt that don' get filtered.......... well guess what happens....... sandblasting effect.....

I don't know if this is true but have heard it from a couple of people and one of them was someone who pours concrete for those carwashes..........

Just my 2 bits......
No problems with me and my car's finish is like glass. As for Whalen's concern about the rims, you need to be careful pulling in. Yes, ou can damage your rims if your not careful. My wheels don't have a scratch on them.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Onerastaman

Gohawks63, you love your ride! Go ahead,Dog,!
Yes I do, I just hate seeing all that salt and winter crud on my car. Lately though I've been washing my car in the garage. My garage is attached and insulated. You go into my garage from the laundry room. I connect a hose in the laundry sink, I crack my garage door open so the water can drain out and I wash. If it's in the teens outside, with my garage door slightly open the temp stays in the mid-30s. It works pretty well, but the floor starts icing up and my driveway becomes an ice rink, but it's worth it.

In the dead of January, I have the cleanest car in the neighbrhood.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by GoHawks63
Yes I do, I just hate seeing all that salt and winter crud on my car. Lately though I've been washing my car in the garage. My garage is attached and insulated. You go into my garage from the laundry room. I connect a hose in the laundry sink, I crack my garage door open so the water can drain out and I wash. If it's in the teens outside, with my garage door slightly open the temp stays in the mid-30s. It works pretty well, but the floor starts icing up and my driveway becomes an ice rink, but it's worth it.

In the dead of January, I have the cleanest car in the neighbrhood.
All I can say is....nice!