Is this your last Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
My question is... is a $30,000 vehicle even considered "expensive" these days??
Great point. $30,000 for many just isn't that much anymore.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:35 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd consider an Acura/honda again. Like most have said I'll evaluate my situation and necessities when I get closer to buying a new car. I love my TLS but I always thought of it as a stepping stone. I would love more power and more luxury so again when the time comes I'll evaluate things. Acura will definitely be considered!

If I could I would make the leap to an M5 or E55 AMG!! under 75k to get either one of these beasts and be able to spank everything on the road with the exception of a few sports cars!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Instructor

I don't think I would buy an Acura again. Having gone through two transmissions, live with a faulty driverside door seal that makes a sucking sound whenever the car body shifts, not to mention the standard set of creaks and rattles, I think my money will be well placed somewhere else.

I actually went out a bought a second car. A little Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd, as a commuter car. I don't always trust the TLS anymore and can't wait to turn it in when it's lease is done! Funny, I bought the GT used and it hasn't given me any trouble in the 8 months that I've had it. Thinking of putting a Pioneer navi and a super charger in it. Already modded the breaks to slotted and cross drilled units. Shocks, springs and anti sway bars are going in this weekend.

If I have an urge to get another larger car and money is not tied up in buying more rental properties, that money is going to 540i 6speed or a full blown M5.

But, on the flip side, the GT seems fit me just fine. I just miss the navi and the TLS' power. A super charger gives the car ~340hp at the crank, ~280hp at the wheels... yikes. And pioneer's navi (i believe...) is more sophisticated than the one in the TLS.

M5 or GT+SC+NAVI in the long run those are two extremes, I know. I'll just have to wait and see how I feel over time. I know one thing though, I'm out of the TLS game after this....
Old 04-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by ngcreese
I don't think I would buy an Acura again. Having gone through two transmissions, live with a faulty driverside door seal that makes a sucking sound whenever the car body shifts, not to mention the standard set of creaks and rattles, I think my money will be well placed somewhere else.

I actually went out a bought a second car. A little Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd, as a commuter car. I don't always trust the TLS anymore and can't wait to turn it in wen it's lease is done! Funny, I bought the GT used and it hasn't given me any trouble in the 8 months that I've had it. Thinking of putting a Pioneer navi and a super charger in it. Already modded the breaks to slotted and cross drilled units. Shocks, springs and anti sway bars are going in this weekend.

If I have an urge to get another larger car and money is not tied up in buying more rental properties, that money is going to 540i 6speed or a full blown M5.

But, on the flip side, the GT seems fit me just fine. I just miss the navi and the TLS' power. A super charger gives the car ~340hp at the crank, ~280hp at the wheels... yikes. And pioneer's navi (i believe...) is more sophisticated than the one in the TLS.

M5 or GT+SC+NAVI in the long run those are two extremes, I know. I'll just have to wait and see how I feel over time. I know one thing though, I'm out of the TLS game after this....
You're gonna need to do some major suspension tuning and modifications.

I have a 2001 GT-PP Sportronic, and it only has a K&N filter. It's completely stock otherwise. Beyond 3000 RPM, the surge of power comes, and unless the traction is excellent, the wheels hop like a mofo. It's a fun little car to drive, but the wheel-hop drives me ABSOLUTELY INSANE. That's why I'm giving it to my brother, and he's selling it to get a Saab.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Instructor

You're right, it is a fun car and it does need some suspension tuning if you want to do anything with it, the stock suspension is way to too soft.

Personally, I didn't expect it to be fun to drive, go figure.

Anyway, I'm looking at set of Eibach pro-kit springs & camber correction kit, KYB AGX adjustable rebound and compression shocks, and a Suspension Techniques anti sway bar, in their boxes, spread out on my living room floor, right now....

Rims, I thinking ADR M SPORT, SSR GT1, or MASITALY PRESIDENTS all in 18s

The SC kit comes with an upgraded set of motor mounts, which seems to be the source of the wheel hop. That kit is REALLY tempting.

GT+SC+NAVI really meant
(Suspension & Brakes modded) GT+SC+NAVI

This is gonna be a really cool project car....

Hey, SAABs are fun cars also. I know their servicablility was somewhat tricky in the past, hopefully that is not as much of an issue these days.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

considering i bought my 1year old type s w/nav for 21k i would never buy a "brand new" acura. I love the fact that i own very nice allaround car,for what a new accord would have cost. i would absolutely buy another one just not the first year of a new model and not a brand spankin new one. but thats a rule for any car for me.
Just my .02, thax
Old 04-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
My TL Type S is my 4th. Acura and I won't waste my hard earn money on a BMW or a Lexus. I never had a problem with my dealer and they have always been great to me. Then again I never had a problem with any of the Acura's that I now have or owned.

My wife is driving a 94 Ledged with 161,000 and still going strong.

My next one after this TL is the new TL or a RL.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Advanced

It all depends on the 04 TL. If it kicks ass in all the ways we are hoping for, it will still be a great value, even with the additional 3 grand or so. I think what bugs me is that although the TL "S" is farely new, and the "S" version got me to even LOOK at Acura... the TL body style itself has been around for a while. It's starting to look dated, and that when I start thinking about trading my car in for a new one. I'm 35, and this is my 9th car! Otherwise, I have been happy with the whole Acura experience. My dealer (101 West in Calabasas) is great. When my trany went out, they were the best. After writing one letter to Acura, they agreed to cover all my scheduled matainence for the life of the car. That was pretty cool of them!