Is this your last Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this your last Acura?

If Acura does not come out with a better design than the TLS and more horsepower in the next couple of years I'm going to Lexus!!!!
Old 07-30-2002, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Well, this is my first Acura. In fact, this is my first new car ever. I was won over by the overall value of the car. I feel like I got a helluva lot for $30k. More HP is always welcome, but for me I moved up from a 94 accord 4 cylinder which I am sure didn't even have 150 HP. So 260 HP is welcome!

I don't think I would be comfortable shelling out more money unless it was a BMW. And even then I dunno how much money I would be willing to spend. Cars are great and all, but the whole depreciation concept makes me wary of spending too much. But, I guess 'too much' is totally subjective.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

I'll just copy my reply from the acl.com topic since I'm too lazy to type it again
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my next car.... It really depends on what Acura has to offer the next time I'm in the market. I love my TL-S.... I really do. My problem is that the service department of dealers is so inconsistant. I've made the decision that on this car, Park Ave. will be my dealer of choice, so hopefully with acl / atl.com's relationship with them I'll actually have a pleasant experience. That alone could change my mind.

For my next car I'd love to get a BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus, but again, it all depends on what Acura is throwing up against those brands. I think everyone knows that a car is a losing investment, which it totally is, so bang for the buck is still key. Regardless I'll have to see what happens. I'd really like a C32 AMG, M3 or M5 for my next car. What I'd probably do is buy a used one (6-12 months old) with low mileage. That way the original buyer absorbs some depreciation along with some of the sales tax, plus all of the luxury and gas taxes
Old 07-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Depending on what Acura puts out next. So far I have been unhappy with the dealerships and some quality control issues with Acura cars. Feels too much like a Honda experience. Might think about Lexus, Audi, or BMW. Although, soon I might be getting an MDX for my wife. She really likes the looks of those. I'm trying to steer her towards the new Volvo SUV that's coming out soon, but she wants to see it in person first. If that decision gives any insight, maybe my next won't be an Acura. hmmmm
Old 07-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is this your last Acura?

Originally posted by Mr. Bo Jangles
If Acura does not come out with a better design than the TLS and more horsepower in the next couple of years I'm going to Lexus!!!!
If I don't get my Nissan R34(280hp) or Nissan G35 coupe(sweet) 275hp. I will stick with Honda/Acura.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my first Acura as well and it won't be another 4-5 years before I start thinking of getting another car. If I do, I will be shopping around again to see if the new model suites my taste.
I particularly like the yellow blinkers, not red when shopping for a car (don't ask me why)

If Acura comes out with a more horsses with more mpgs and great looking car ... why not ?

Cheers !!!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am not sure I have been part of the Honda family so long now 22yrs to be exact I don't know. I remember when Ronald Reagan was calling people that purchased Honda & Toyota cars traitors. I had my 1980 Prelude 15yrs & was very happy I got it. I don't think my taste will change that much in the next couple of years.
This is why I am concerned about the RL my next car will be bigger in size. I wan't more HP, ride comfort, a car thats big & powerful not sedate or bland in styling but still sporty. I wan't the latest saftey features. Take for instance HID enhances your night tme vision. I want something like some Cadys have Night vision in the windshields. ACURA will need to do this for me in order for me to purchase another one.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I think my next acura is going to b an NSX...
Old 07-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Racer

I went from Acura (TL) to Lexus (GS430). This has been discussed before, so I won't give my full answer, but the short of it is that Acura's line does not include the type of car that I want...a RWD, front engine, V8 (or very powerful V6) sport sedan. Hopefully the next RL will be exactly this and will include a Type-S version, but when I decided I wanted a new car Acura had nothing to offer me.

I had no bad dealer experiences with Acura, although I did struggle with the squeaks and rattles others have had. The Acura experience wasn't quite of the quality I've experienced with Lexus but better than my wife's experience with BMW. Of course, dealer experiences differ all over; some Lexus dealers suck and some Ford dealers give great service, so I don't subscribe to absolutes such as "Lexus is better than Acura in service."

I can say that unless things change, the next time I'm in the market for a car (not for a looonnnng time...still loving my GS), I will most likely be looking at Lexus, BMW, MB, and Audi, in that order. They seem to be creating cars that meet my specifications more so than any other manufacturers.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:41 PM
9th Gear

Seeing as I've owned a 87 & 90 Legend LS, a 94 Integra GS-R, a 96 & 98 Accord EXL and a 99 TL, I'd have to say yes!

I'd love to get a BMW but for the "bang for the buck" an Acura will win every day of the week.

I too would love to get an NSX. Someday in the near future hopefully.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:53 PM
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts
I have had several Hondas/Acuras. I went from an 856 Civic to a 90 Integra to this 03 TLS. My wife went trough 2 accords before turning to Volvo for their 850 wagon.

I will do what I did before buying my TLS - do a complete survey of everything out there at the time. If Acura has what I want and it is a good value I will buy it. If another brand satisfies my needs better then I will go that way.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:22 PM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

This is my first acura and i LOVE it, im gonna hold onto it until i can afford a bimmer
Old 07-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my second Acura and I'd buy another in a heartbeat!
Old 07-30-2002, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll likely be staying within the Honda family.

I'm actually becoming quite impressed that Honda has thus far steadfastly refused to get into the displacement wars (with big V8s). To me, it shows their emphasis on building BETTER engines, not just bigger (which, of course, equals better to the average American).

I'd like that DN-X, with 400hp 3.5l iVTEC and 43mpg! I'd take it over an M5. I'm tiring of the "image is everything" attitude of the typical Central FL BMW/Benz owner. I don't fit into that "it's all about me" mold.

Todd
Old 07-30-2002, 09:25 PM
Pro

unless i get a nsx, im givin up on honda/acura.......power's just not cuttin it and theres power problems when u try to make it fast...........i would get a 350....but scared they'll bring a twin turbo out a year later =P.......im leanin towards supin up a wrx...friends runnin 13.1 1/4 mile
Old 07-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Unless my TL and Accord has major problems a , I will be a Honda man forever.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I saved the R&T article on used NSX'S for a reason
Old 07-30-2002, 11:19 PM
Advanced

Staying with Honda/Acura

I had a 94 Accord, no problems. Currently have a 2000 Accord and a 2002 TLS. I plan on keeping each car around 8 - 10 years, so I need a car that is dependable and won't be costing me a fortune in years five and on. Honda is great with reliability, so I will most likely stay in the Honda/Acura family (unless I win the lotto).
Old 07-31-2002, 09:13 AM
Instructor

This is my last Acura, transmission problems and quality control issues is way too much for a over 30k vehicle. My next vehicle will be either a Infiniti or Lexus.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

I haven't had very good luck at all with the dealerships or Acura in general so this will be my last Honda product. In the last ten years I have purchased 7 new cars and so far purchasing the Acura has been the worst. I like the TL-S very much, just wish the dealerships were better!!!!

Jimj
Old 07-31-2002, 09:24 AM
Drifting

This is not my last Acura.

Acura offers a great package at a great price.

The TLS outclasses anything in it's price range and the MDX has been compared against the AMG ML55 because the reviewer said that the ML430 didn't compare in features. That should tell you something.

You can get better cars but you pay dearly for it whether you are going to Lexus or Mercedes or BMW or whatever.

If you want RWD or AWD in a sports sedan, however, you must look elsewhere.

Personally, I'd love to see a scaled down, lowered wagon version of the MDX in AWD to go against the volvo cross country and audi allroad.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm still waiting for my first acura!!!
Old 07-31-2002, 09:39 AM
Instructor

I've only owned Hondas/Acuras.... I will plan to keep my family in them. They are good cars (for the most part) and won't fall apart around you... like my g/f previous Neon (POS).

I am hoping they do something new with the 04 TL-S... I won't not mind upgrading. I think Acura has some issues to address about what to do with the TL series. I think it all but settled that the CLs are going to be pahsed out soon. The CL has an interesting market niche that hasn't quite developed IMHO. I am not knocking the CL....

I will say.... the lure to the M3 is very powerful and if I am not upgrading to the 04... then I might jump ship to the BMW. I know they are considerably more expensive than the TL, but they are too much fun
Old 07-31-2002, 09:46 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wont be my last, but i am only 21 and my next car will be a sports car. I am keeping this car for a while as well. When i am in the market for another practicval car, i will consider acura again. I love my TL.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

i'm gonna move on to porsches!!
Old 08-03-2002, 07:54 PM
Instructor

As of now this IS my last Acura. I've had too much heartache from the dealer in servicing my Navi problem. I've had problems with other cars in my life, but never from one so expensive and reputed to be a luxury class car. It's only 8 months old and I'm too pissed off to think straight. I just can't believe this would have happend with Lexus or Infiniti. Maybe I'm wrong but I never had so much grief from and American car I owned. This is so sad.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Pro

Echoing others here, my TL/S is my first Acura, and may well be my last. I like the car and the bang for the buck, but the dealer network is abysmal, horrid, and lousy.

I've stated this many times before, my Jeep and Saab dealers treat me like a king compared to how the Acura dealer network has worked with me.

I shouldn't have to beg people to take my money, yet this is the attitude you get at your typical Acura dealership - sand sales is ten times worse than service.

When I shell out $30K+ on something, I expect a level of service that Acura simply doesn't provide, and even worse, could seem to care less about.

Compared to the level of service I get from my Jeep and Saab dealers, and based on what I've seen coming from other luxury brands, Acura has a long long way to go before it can be mentioned in the same breath as Lexus, Volvo, Saab or even Infiniti.

Sorry, but the "ownership experience" does matter a great deal as part of the package.

My Jeep had its share of problems, but since my dealer bent over backwards to correct things like *four* broken rear hatch latches in two years without any resistance whatsoever (and a freeking loaner EVERY time!), I felt damn good about the Jeep and the money invested in it and I would definitely consider getting another one down the line.

With Acura? When I shop for my next ride in 2003/2004, in the back of my mind will all the negative experiences I've had at Acura dealerships. Not a great way to start a new ownership relationship :-)
Old 08-04-2002, 02:08 AM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

I had a Jeep before my TL and i must agree that the service at jeep was great, they did treat me like i was their only customer and that i was the most important one. But on the other hand ive had great experience with my acura dealer aswell although ive only had one oil change there they have been very nice to me. Considering when i got my car i didnt have the navi and when i was looking it over i saw 2 dents and they gave me the same car with the navi to make up for it.....
Old 08-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Racer

just an FYI for any of you who might want to go with a german car next time around....Although I love my audi, I miss the relability and build quality of my accord. The car never rattles or squeaked and always ran perfectly. Then again my audi is very modded and I have to expect with 500 lb springs and sport shocks there might be some noise in the cabin. I have been fortunate to have 0 problems with my car, but it seems like more poeple on the audi boards have had more problems than here. I realize the transmission issue here, but I still think it's worse on the german side with many recalls and issues. In general german cars aren't going to be as reliable as the japanese cars, and once you are out of warranty, have fun paying for parts and repairs. The motivating factor for me buying my car was the AWD and free service under warranty. Some dealers even give synthetic iol as a free option. Otherwise I jsut bring my own. If a BMW 330 came in AWD and was about $10k less, I'd be all over it. If the CLS six speed were available when I bought my car, I would have jumped on that. Japanese cars offer more bang for the buck. But hen again if you are talking about AMG, M or S cars...who the hell cares about value or repair costs right? All in all I do love my car. I turn the radio up when the squeaks and rattle irritate me. But I fear the $$$ I'll be putting into the car in 7k miles when I'm out of warranty. Especially when I go with a bigger turbo. At leas the car is paid for :>)
Old 08-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by T Ho
I'll likely be staying within the Honda family.

I'm actually becoming quite impressed that Honda has thus far steadfastly refused to get into the displacement wars (with big V8s). To me, it shows their emphasis on building BETTER engines, not just bigger (which, of course, equals better to the average American).

I'd like that DN-X, with 400hp 3.5l iVTEC and 43mpg! I'd take it over an M5. I'm tiring of the "image is everything" attitude of the typical Central FL BMW/Benz owner. I don't fit into that "it's all about me" mold.

Todd
Word. Very well said.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm basically a Honda guy. Ultimately, like others have said, it depends on what Acura puts out there when I'm ready to buy again. This should not happen for several years as I am satisfied with my TL. This is my first Acura but my fifth Honda, and I've had only one bad experience, with a used car that wasn't cared for by its previous owner. I've mentioned this before.

The only other brand I'm willing to consider at this time is BMW, specifically a 5-series (540 would be really nice!). Like I said, though, that won't happen for a long time.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Unfortunately, I think so. Too many rattles, cheap paint and the tranny issue.

I expected more from Acura. My Miata had less problems and still going with 160,000 miles - original battery too!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Racer

No way - you get way too much bang for the buck !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Instructor

I will buy the DN-X if it comes out as promised

Near 400 HP, 300 to the front wheels, 100 HP top the rear ...

And a Hybrid gas-electric enviro-friendly $2,000 Tax write off to Boot !!!
Old 04-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Depends on what Acura's TL style and performance gonna be like ... but i am favoring the G35 coupe for my next car
Old 04-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I've always been a GM guy, and this '03 TL-S is my first Acura and import ever. So far, I'm pretty happy. Depending on what Acura comes out with for '04, I'll consider staying with Acura.

I almost gave this one to my brother, and bought another '03 TL-S for myself. But having two TL-S' seemed kind of dumb. So he's getting a Saab (GM, yeah! )

My dad has a Tahoe (yep, GM ), and he wants to get a new car. He's split between the MDX and the upcoming Toureg. Once the T comes out, he'll be making his decision.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm the gear head in my family, and whatever recommendations I make about cars, they stick. My family is planning to purchase two new cars within the next year, so we're waiting to see what the market has to offer, including Acura.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Is this your last Acura?

Originally posted by Mr. Bo Jangles
No offense, but why didn't you go w/ either of the two alternatives in the first place?? Seems like your already disappointed w/ your $30,000 purchase
Old 04-02-2003, 01:37 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
My question is... is a $30,000 vehicle even considered "expensive" these days??
Old 04-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Banned

I've always been a loyal Honda man. I havent had any major problems so far that would turn me off from purchasing another one.
Only thing that would turn me off is if they totally messed up the design on their cars. And also if I get bored and want a change of scenery.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:55 AM
Racer

Buying a MDX today, so obviously it's not my last Acura. However, I will never buy another TLs. When I get another sedan I want it to be larger. The performance of the car just isn't as important to me. I guess I'm getting older!

Quick Reply: Is this your last Acura?