xpel questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xpel questions

guys, i got a big problem. i installed the xpel headlight kit myself, and after a week i notice there are some white spot on the light. i read on their webpage that they are water moisture and would go away, just a matter of time.

today i was curious why they are still hre, so i went ahead and push them in. and i noticed that they are pushed up a bit (just like bubble). i am sure they are not bubble, coz' when i finished installing them i check closely and there were not bubble inside at all (and even so they can't be this HUGE).

so my question is, i will have to wait how long for them to go away? anyway to aid that process? it's really irritaing sometimes.....
Old 11-17-2001, 12:19 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it is a bubble of air or water, just prick it with a pin to expel whatever is inside.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Sounds like it is air stuck in between the layers. Had that happen to one of my sideskirts and the guy that did the job replaced the whole piece. Sorry but just putting a small hole in there wont get rid of the white spot unless you can somehow also inject some alcohol in there, and stick it to the headlights which it is not doing at the moment in that specific area.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

mr hyde, but could that be just liquid? coz' when i installed the thing, i really didn't see any air (otherwise i would see some sort of bubble). i actually had 3 people helped inspect as well.

please god..... don't trick me......

just for the worst case...... how would i remove the kit if needed??? it seems pretty..... sticky.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

I had white bubbles under the film (after I pushed on them, I could see that it was liquid) and it took a couple weeks during the summer (hot weather) for them to dry up and disappear. Depending on where you are and the temp it may take longer (getting cold here, it would take quite a while at this time of year)
Old 11-19-2001, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh this is some good news. that means i can still wait a bit longer and hope they will go away. though yeah, i am in san jose. sun and heat are two things that i seriously lack here...... sigh..... i think i will have to use the hair dryer more often.....

thanks for the heads up though, bricot
Old 11-20-2001, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Sorry I thought San Jose was pretty warm still, but if its anything like NYC is right now, just let it be for awhile and see what happens, it definitely wont hurt. Also drive aroud with your lights on all the time, and in the day leave your high beams on as they'll warm up the housing much more than the lower wattage and cooler burning HID's
Old 11-20-2001, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

yup, thanks for the advice. i do turn on my light all the time now (and starting tomorrow morning i will turn on my high beam as well).

one nice thing is that today i finally noticed some improvement on the white spot. it got cleared a bit. so i hope that they would be gone (if they are water).... man i couldn't sleep well for the past two days coz' i was afraid i gotta change my whole headlight... sigh.

just wonder guys, is it easier to install the bumper/hood/side mirror kits? from the video i got form them, it seems that those kits are made of much thinner plastic than those used for the headlights. i just wanna know more about it before doing it. thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

It is much thinner material than the headlight covers. I had it installed at a shop, I didn't want to take the chance of screwing up the kit and having to buy another one. Matter of fact the authorized installer that I had install it said it was a bear and the first bumper kit had some adhesive defects so he wound up getting another bumper kit in and re-installing it.

I also had him do some custom stuff with the bulk material they have and if he used a partial roll I didn't get charged the full roll price like I would have if I did it myself.