XPEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post XPEL

Did anyone install the xpel on there car???
Old 06-16-2001, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to know if anyone's installed the STONGARD "clear bra" kit on their TL-S.

V.
Old 06-18-2001, 12:27 PM

i got it on my Maxima over the weekend. It looks good. Actually, the only place you can notice it is on the hood, but only close up. I got XPEL. It is worth the lasck of worrying. I paid $275 for lights, fog lights, mirrors, hood, and bumper.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Ive seen pics of a hood with the bra on itsomewhere on this board. All you can see is a thin line right where it ends. However, from what I heard its a really b*tch to put it on.

------------------
"TL is an awesome car" VW dealer in Long Island.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

For those of us who don't know (even that is only me), what is Xpel? Thanks for the info in advance..
Old 06-18-2001, 01:58 PM
Racer

http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/008104.html
Old 06-18-2001, 02:14 PM

It is easy to ***** about the line on the hood, but being that the alternatives are a black bra or chips and bug marks, I think a thin line that can only be see up close is a good trade off. It made me feel better when the guy in Charlotte told me that BMW and Porshe actully offer this as an option on their new cars. He said that he has NEVER had a claim for headlights or bumper damage where the product is installed. I thought it was a new automotive product, but he said that he has been installing for 5 years! I guess this is one installation you don't want attention from. Good enough for me.
Old 06-18-2001, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm curious as to how the product stands up over time. Does it become discolored or brittle? Does it get nicks that will eventually gather dirt? What happens if you want to take it off?

A friend of my had it on his Millenium Carrera 4 -- it looked great and you could barely tell it was there but he only kept the car for about 8 months so I get a chance to see how it would stand up over time.
Old 06-18-2001, 06:11 PM

I have also heard it is hard to put on and take off. Can somebody who put it on please let us know. Is it really a pain in the a** or what?
Old 06-19-2001, 09:19 AM

It looked like a pain in the ass. It took the guy I dealt with about 2 1/2 hours to do it, but it looks great. If you can find a XPEL certified installer, it actually comes out cheaper. Aparently this guy has rolls of this stuff and is "online" with XPEL. he can cut the kits when he needs them. It was going to cost me $25 more to order the parts and install them myself. I did have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the installer, but the lack of headaches was worth it. If you are thinking about doing it and have a clean front, do it before it is too late. This guy wouldn't even install on a car that had chips already.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am thinking about getting it done. The front bumper piece doesn't have any seams (at least on the one I saw) so its not noticeable at all, I am also thinking of having it put on the two sides of the body kit where people tend to drag their feet getting in the car and rocks are more likely an issue. Can't decide if I like that line on the hood... I wan't to find out how hard it is to remove if it gets beat up? Does it damage the paint? I'll have to get down and talk with the guy this week.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:22 AM

If you get it put on by a installer, they guarantee it will not hurt the paint. What you guys are forgetting, is that this product is designed not to let ANYTHING through it. If it does, XPEL will remove the coating, have the chip repaired, and re-install new material. Like I said before, this guy has had zero claims. I beleive in it - for now!
Old 06-19-2001, 01:30 PM
Instructor

I really like the concept of the Xpel clear bra, but the warranty is lacking. Take a look at the FAQ's section on their website. If it's not installed by Xpel, the only warranty you'll get is the one offered by the installer. This even applies to certified dealers. Xpel's warranty covers only headlight damage, and that is only for the amount of your insurance deductable.

I will probably end up getting the full Xpel treatment if I can find a certified dealer with a good warranty. Four years would be about right, after that I would replace it and start over again.