XM Radio Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Radio Pictures

Does anyone have pics with XM radio in stalled on a 99-03 TL? I want to see where you put it on the dash and now good or bad it might look. Thanks. I'm hoping the XM Commander will fit in that non-nav slot where the little tray slides out, but that's a narrow space.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is what you need if you have a seperate satellite radio like a XM Ski Fi or Roady.

A pro-kit mount. Basically, you take off the wood trim on the right side of the shift/radio console area. This mount uses existing screws then attaches to the right of the radio. Then put the wood piece back on and it fits perfectly. You'll see the pic on the bottom link.

Then, the holes on the mount are designed to fit XM and other satellite receivers. The mount looks clean. I have this mount setup on my Acura TL Type S (2003) Don't have any pictures right now, but I think I posted them somewhere on another board. Maybe I can find them and post. But here are the links that you need to purchase it.

Good luck

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/AC-54-99.pdf
http://www.xmfanstore.com/
Old 11-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Instructor

I'd have to see your pics. I don't like the idea of something sticking out of there like that.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Here is what you need if you have a seperate satellite radio like a XM Ski Fi or Roady.

A pro-kit mount. Basically, you take off the wood trim on the right side of the shift/radio console area. This mount uses existing screws then attaches to the right of the radio. Then put the wood piece back on and it fits perfectly. You'll see the pic on the bottom link.

Then, the holes on the mount are designed to fit XM and other satellite receivers. The mount looks clean. I have this mount setup on my Acura TL Type S (2003) Don't have any pictures right now, but I think I posted them somewhere on another board. Maybe I can find them and post. But here are the links that you need to purchase it.

Good luck

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/AC-54-99.pdf
http://www.xmfanstore.com/
It seems as if you would have limited acces to your tuner knob once you installed the pro-kit
Old 11-23-2004, 06:42 PM
steelheader

sunglasses holder... XM Commander..

Old 11-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by scottosan
It seems as if you would have limited acces to your tuner knob once you installed the pro-kit
Sorry folks, forgot to take a pic last night. I've posted them before, but I cannot find them. Anyway, the tuner knob is blocked a little, but not so that you can't access it. It works out good for me. I have the SkiFi 1, so it is rather big, but there is really no other place to put it. I change channels very frequently, so putting it in the armrest was out of the question, plus it gets hot in there.

I may switch over to the Roady 2 model down the road which is smaller and will still fit the bracket. I don't want to change out my head unit. I wish an aftermarket company would actually make factory style head units, but add stuff like XM to it. Therefore, factory look but better aftermarket sound. Anyway, getting off topic.

I'll try to remember to take pics and repost.

The XM commander is long and wide, so I don't think this setup would work good for that XM receiver you have. I think the sunglass holder setup is hella trick. I've seen the DIY on that and it seems pretty easy to hook up that way.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Instructor

I am installing mine this evening. I am going to use the cup holder mount and feed the wires through the open area between the cup holder area and the console were the power is.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Ackniculous One

Ok, found some pics. In the one side view, the wire on the bottom is no longer there, just the upper wire shows now. This is the pro-fit mount with swivel adapter and is used for the XM SkiFi receiver.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, found some pics. In the one side view, the wire on the bottom is no longer there, just the upper wire shows now. This is the pro-fit mount with swivel adapter and is used for the XM SkiFi receiver.

Thats a very clean job. Did you do it yourself? How long did it take you? It looks great!

BTW, are you using the FM modulator in that install? How does the sound quality compare to the sound using the tape recorder?

And how did you take off the wood panel on the side ?
Old 11-25-2004, 06:51 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am installing mine this evening. I am going to use the cup holder mount and feed the wires through the open area between the cup holder area and the console were the power is.

How did that work out for you?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laurelcrest
How did that work out for you?
didn't do it yet
Old 11-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Hippie Kill Team™

Old 11-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by Laurelcrest
Thats a very clean job. Did you do it yourself? How long did it take you? It looks great!

BTW, are you using the FM modulator in that install? How does the sound quality compare to the sound using the tape recorder?

And how did you take off the wood panel on the side ?
Thanks Laurelcrest.
Yup, did the job myself, took under an hour. I'm using the blitzsafe adapter and it sounds better than the tape and fm modulator in my opinion.

The wood comes off really easy. Open the armrest and you'll see the part where the wood starts.

It simply pops off (straight upward) and then it continues to snap off as you get closer to the radio area.

Then. it kind of slides up into the radio area, so once the snaps are undone, simple tug downward and voila..the piece comes off. No screws or anything.

Then, once the wood piece is removed, the bracket simply attaches with an existing screw, then the wood piece fits back over it. The only problem is that the wires make the wood stick out just a touch more than the left side wood, but really not noticeable.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Thanks Laurelcrest.
Yup, did the job myself, took under an hour. I'm using the blitzsafe adapter and it sounds better than the tape and fm modulator in my opinion.

The wood comes off really easy. Open the armrest and you'll see the part where the wood starts.

It simply pops off (straight upward) and then it continues to snap off as you get closer to the radio area.

Then. it kind of slides up into the radio area, so once the snaps are undone, simple tug downward and voila..the piece comes off. No screws or anything.

Then, once the wood piece is removed, the bracket simply attaches with an existing screw, then the wood piece fits back over it. The only problem is that the wires make the wood stick out just a touch more than the left side wood, but really not noticeable.
How does the blitzsafe work? what setting does the head unit have to be on?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Ackniculous One

How does the blitzsafe work? what setting does the head unit have to be on?

Thanks,
Scott
The Blitzsafe is a pretty neat little device that plugs directly into the back of the factory stereo. It goes to the CD changer port. Then, at the other end of the blitzsafe are two inputs for RCA jack input.

So, if you have an XM, Sirius, IPOD, MP3 player or anything that has an audio output, you can use the blitzsafe to get that sound to come out of your factory stereo.

For example, on my XM output, I have a phono jack to RCA Left and Right splitter. Then, I have a set of RCA cables that connect to Left and Right input on the blitsafe. Then, the plug on the blitzsafe connects to the CD Changer port of the factory radio.

To select the audio, you simply push the CD button on the factory stereo to toggle between your in dash factory cd changer and the blitzsafe. My particular blitzsafe model had the option to still install the additional factory changer if I want. So then, the toggle of the CD button would go: In Dash 6 disc --> Aux CD Changer --> AUX Audio, i.e. XM, MP3 or whatever. Hope this helps.

Do some googling on Blitzsafe to see what the actual little adapter looks like. Also, do some searching on the Audio forum here on Acura-TL.com. There are more than enough blitzsafe posts here.