XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Radio

I just got my 99 Acura TL- beautiful condition!!!

& I need to know the best set up for XM radio. I'm still have my subscription from my other car and I am lookly in the near future to get XM in my TL. Whats the best fit for my Acura. & Is there any possibilty that I could have my Steering Wheel controls still be compatitible. I've been reading all the other threads. I have a couple questions. Whats OEM and HU mean? Also DIN?

Thanks, Joe
Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got a pro fit mount for my XM SkiFi 2 and it mounts to the right side of my radio. Doesn't look very pretty, but I hid the wires as best I could and since I remove it to take into work everyday, it will work for now. I plan to get an Avic double din setup with XM controller and get a new system all together. For now, it connects via Blitzsafe connector into the add'l CD changer port on the back of my stock bose hu and I toggle between my CD changer and XM by hitting the CD button twice. Sounds really good but could be better I'm sure..hell, anything is better than stock! OEM mean Original Equipment Manufacturer and HU means Head Unit, meaning your stereo in your car. I can still use my volume controls on my steering wheel. Also, I don't like advertising I got XM in my car, so I keep my antenna inside next to my 3rd brakelight. I get full reception all the time unless I am in a tunnel or right next to tall skysrapers. Can't see the antenna through my tint either.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Check out this thread, you'll see my pics about 3 posts down. This may help you.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...03#post1601303

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I just got a pro fit mount for my XM SkiFi 2 and it mounts to the right side of my radio. Doesn't look very pretty, but I hid the wires as best I could and since I remove it to take into work everyday, it will work for now. I plan to get an Avic double din setup with XM controller and get a new system all together. For now, it connects via Blitzsafe connector into the add'l CD changer port on the back of my stock bose hu and I toggle between my CD changer and XM by hitting the CD button twice. Sounds really good but could be better I'm sure..hell, anything is better than stock! OEM mean Original Equipment Manufacturer and HU means Head Unit, meaning your stereo in your car. I can still use my volume controls on my steering wheel. Also, I don't like advertising I got XM in my car, so I keep my antenna inside next to my 3rd brakelight. I get full reception all the time unless I am in a tunnel or right next to tall skysrapers. Can't see the antenna through my tint either.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
another option could be getting an aftermarket head unit and getting the xm receiver thats specifically made for the head unit ... that way theres no extra units or wires hanging around your dash.... im getting xm for my alpine head unit within the next few weeks... heres a pic of what the head unit looks like in case you were wondering...

Old 12-02-2006, 06:55 PM
WINNING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed my xm unit in my sunglass holder near the sunroof. perfect spot , it was a bitch running the wires but got it done in a few hours no big deal.