Would just a slight amount of moisture cause my headlight to not go on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would just a slight amount of moisture cause my headlight to not go on?

I just had a new headlight housing installed since the old one was smashed in my recent accident. Its raining pretty hard all day and I noticed some moisture on the inside lens, my headlight will not go on. It was on for the past few days but it was dry then. My question is would even the slightest amount of moisture F- things up? Or is it perhaps a loose connection?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Banned

i doubt the mositure would cause that. i cleared my headlights last weekend for the 2nd time and they are still leaking, a lot and my hid's work fine.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had very little moisture in there once and it worked fine (2 hours). I let it dry out and now it doesn't fog up anymore.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Banned

Condensation on the outer lens is okay but if it keeps fogging up it will leave deposits and will make your headlight cover yellow and foggy. Make sure the highbeam and turn sig are twisted in correctly. Sometimes if they aren't properly secure they will leave condensation.

since you had a recent accident and had your headlights replaced, it's more like a loose connection that causes the headlight not to turn on. Does the parking light still come on?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Exclamation

Well I had this same issue and thought nothing would happen but I was wrong. The little water drops inside the headlight housing don't just evaporate and poof it's gone. Some of it drips down which if some of you may know the H.I.D ballast are right under the housing which is a little electric box and if water gets there which IT WILL your pretty much gonna have to go on a mission like I did my self. MY MISSION. My stock headlights (before I cleared them) would also get moister inside so I thought my bulb had gone out so I ordered some new ones. Then I get my new 9000k put them in and nothing I was pissed. So I called acura explained my problem and the guy told me it could be the ballast got water and that's why it's not working which the little ballast goes for $250 bucks. So to make a long story short I threw a good working H.I.D bulb away for nothing cuz it wasn't the bulb it was the ballast. Then found where the moisture was coming from it's where the ballast goes mounted under the light the seal was no good all i did was put some silicone and that's it so far so good after 2 months no leaks what so ever. Mission :banghead:
Old 04-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeSwork
My stock headlights (before I cleared them) would also get moister inside so I thought my bulb had gone out so I ordered some new ones. Then I get my new 9000k put them in and nothing I was pissed. So I called acura explained my problem and the guy told me it could be the ballast got water and that's why it's not working which the little ballast goes for $250 bucks. So to make a long story short I threw a good working H.I.D bulb away for nothing cuz it wasn't the bulb it was the ballast. Then found where the moisture was coming from it's where the ballast goes mounted under the light the seal was no good all i did was put some silicone and that's it so far so good after 2 months no leaks what so ever. Mission :banghead:
So you sprung $250 for a new ballast? How delicate are those things? I mean if that is the case with me, hopefully my ballast is still good and all I have to do is apply some sealant. My lights did work a few days agao when it was dry out, my parking light works, but my HID and highbeam are not coming on since it is raining like Noah just built another ark here.

Did you take the bumper off to remove the housing/ballast? I assume that needs to be done.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Is a ballast covered under warranty maybe?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Mine got moisture in one of the headlights and Acura replaced it under warranty. Its not a fix deal, its a sealed system. You have to replace it.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Yup thats the mission take the bumper off. The headlight can stay on you just need the rights tools to take the ballast off from right under the headlight. I wasted $269 on the new lights and $250 on the ballast and yes there very delicate it's an electric board one drop might miss everything up.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Well- I found out the problem- A BLOWN FUSE. Don't know what caused it to blow to begin with. Hopefully it isn't a recurring (bigger) problem. I'll have to get a blow dryer and get rid of that little bit of moisture this weekend to see if the problem is fixed.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
The problem with the set up is that the ballast is on the bottom of the headlight assembly and when you combine moisture and gravity you end up with water in the ballast. Repeat a few times and you end up with corrosion in the ballast which may cause enough problems to blow fuses. Once you start popping fuses on a regular basis your ballasts are done.