Window Tint Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Window Tint Repair Question

This was originally posted in car talk but i didnt get any sort of response there that would help me so here it goes:

(i have an 02 tl-s btw)

To keep it short, I have 50% windshield tint (no problems with visibility btw) anyway, as advised by the guy who tinted my car before i moved out of state, i should remove my inspection sticker myself with rubbing alcohol before i take it for reinspection so they dont cut my tint with the scraper tool they use.

I did that, but the guy who gave me my inspection still for some reason tried to scratch at my windshield with the scraper unfortunately i was not aware of this and nicked 2 small pieces where the inspection sticker goes. its not very noticeable, but bothers the hell out of me. my question is would a tint shop be able to at least patch up the area around the inspection sticker without having to retint the whole windshield? im not looking for 100% perfection but at least something to make it even more subtle. anybody know if this is possible without looking ridiculous?

i would go to a tint shop but im new to the area im living and dont really know a reputable place to go to so i am curious what the AZ crew thinks?? thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh Hullow

anybody??
Old 03-12-2009, 06:18 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Why not call a few tint shops and ask them if they can do that type of repair? Call several of them and if they all say the same thing, you know what you have to do.

To answer your question, I'm not sure you'd be able to repair a section without it being noticeable. The only thing I can think of is cutting out a square, remove said square, cut a new one from new tint and work it back into place of the previously cut out square.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh Hullow

Originally Posted by Gfaze
Why not call a few tint shops and ask them if they can do that type of repair? Call several of them and if they all say the same thing, you know what you have to do.

To answer your question, I'm not sure you'd be able to repair a section without it being noticeable. The only thing I can think of is cutting out a square, remove said square, cut a new one from new tint and work it back into place of the previously cut out square.
i am going to start getting on the phone i thought there'd be more tint experts on here so i was expecting a quick response lol...

i was thinking that might not look so bad cutting a square out and retinting it since its right where the inspection sticker would go, but it just drives me nuts that it got ruined for no reason other than carelessness. i thought maybe an experienced tint guy could cut it precise so that it would pretty much blend together.

im hoping i dont have to untint and retint the whole windshield it was about $120 by itself
Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
120 for just the windshield???? thats a ripoff! i was quoted 175 to REtint my whole car
Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh Hullow

yeah i know ... they charge almost as much for the windshield as they do for the rest of the car