Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Window tint

What are the pros and cons of tinting your windows?
Old 03-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security, longevity of your interior, comfort for those in the car, looks.

Need to make sure its a quality tint so that things like your defroster won't bubble it. You have to be careful what you clean it with, it is softer than your glass and can scratch, some chemicals are not recommended to use on tint.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Saw this on an Acura dealer website.

I am interested in getting window tint myself. I do not want it to bubble up, fade, or damage radio reception.

Poor radio reception on vehicles equipped with a window antenna (antenna on the window glass) can be caused by a cellular phone antenna near the radio antenna grid lines, damaged antenna grid lines, or even after-market window tinting. Check these items:

Listen to the radio with and without the cellular phone antenna connected. If the radio reception improves when the phone antenna is disconnected, you've found the problem. (The phone antenna is mounted too close to the radio grid lines.) In this case, you'll need to move the cell phone antenna to improve radio reception. To prevent this problem when you're installing a cell phone, never mount its antenna on top of or near the radio antenna.
Inspect the antenna grid lines. If any are broken, bring your vehicle into Acura of MI VI for repair. We will need to remove the window tint (if installed), and repair the grid lines. (However, if the line break is longer than one inch, the repair won't be effective.)
If the car has after-market rear window tinting, compare radio reception to a similar vehicle without tint. (Some tints are made with metallic particles in them. This can be a source of poor radio reception.) If the radio in the non-tinted vehicle has better reception, you the customer needs to decide if you want to keep the tint and have less than perfect radio reception, replace the tint with a non-metallic type, or remove the tint entirely.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:03 PM
9th Gear

I have a 2002 TL-Type S. The guy who tinted my windows asked if I had Navi or not. I told him I didn't.

He said that High quality tint film has metal particles in it and it can mess with your navigation system.

BTW, the guy did a great job. I was happy with the results.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Saw this on an Acura dealer website.

Originally posted by rich9

If the car has after-market rear window tinting, compare radio reception to a similar vehicle without tint. (Some tints are made with metallic particles in them. This can be a source of poor radio reception.) If the radio in the non-tinted vehicle has better reception, you the customer needs to decide if you want to keep the tint and have less than perfect radio reception, replace the tint with a non-metallic type, or remove the tint entirely.
I have platinum tint all round and the signal still normal as before.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:37 PM
Racer

I just got Formula One tint 100 % metal, no dye and the Navi works just as before.