Will oversize tires/rims interfere with VSA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 05:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will oversize tires/rims interfere with VSA?

so i've heard that if i get new rims & tires (perhaps 18" or 19") it will interfere with the TL-S's VSA because it keeps track of how many rotations per second/minute the wheel is spinning and stuff to calculate how it should balance the car.... is that true? I know getting bigger rims will affect the mileage... but thats not an issue.. I don't want the VSA to work improperly with it... has anyone replaced their rims on their TL-S yet? if so does it affect it at all?

secondly... (i know there are other posts on this).. but our VSA does provide fuel cut off right? or does it not? I know that the TCS on the TL-P doesn't.. and it only works in low speed... but the VSA works at all speed... so it should control more stuff? lol... i can't wait to bring my car on a track and test it out.. cuz when i went on some test drive last year with motor trend, they had a track with all these big a$$ cars.. (Caddy, S class, Lexus LS, and some other cars..) and they have a "stimulated" skid condition (basically the car is running on a bigo plastic mat with water and soap all over it so the car doesn't have any kind of traction)... and we're instructed to floor it... all those cars have fuel cut off (however the lexus ones didn't work very well).. then we're asked to corner it really hard on a sharp turn full of sand... basically to test out their stability system (eg. the ESP on the S-Class... and whatever its called on other cars)... i CAN'T WAIT till they do one on our cars.. i really wanna see how it performs (good or bad)...

anyway.. back to the topic... this is what i got from the acura website:

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)

The Acura Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system is standard on the TL Type S. VSA orchestrates the throttle and brakes to seamlessly integrate traction control, anti-lock braking and stability enhancement processes. This helps the driver maintain steering control during cornering, acceleration and sudden collision-avoidance maneuvers by applying brake force to the right or left front wheel as necessary, and managing the throttle and ignition systems.

what does "managing the throttle and ignition system" mean?
Old 06-21-2001, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I think one way or the other it will affect the system a bit. But only a little bit. Cuz they can still compare the rotation speed of each tire, and the yaw sensor to help control your car.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

as far as i know, it controls the throttle and brakes to point you in the right directions. I was actually hitting an on-ramp at around 65mph and the system engaged but I had no idea what it did exactly.
Old 06-21-2001, 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

i think it all depends how BIG the rims are and wide the tires are. The bigger the difference from stock rim and tires...the more incompatibility it will be for the VSA.
right now the stock tires are 215 50 17
I would think 225 or 235 and 45-50 17-18 would be the best fit?
what do you guys think?

G