Will airbags from a TL fit into a CL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 04:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will airbags from a TL fit into a CL?

My mom has an '02 CL, and ran into a light pole at about 5mph in a parking lot. She's fine, but it popped both airbags.

I looked on Ebay, and there aren't any airbags for a CL, but there are for a TL...

Will they fit? Anyone know?

TIA.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
at 5mph??????? that doesnt sound right. they shouldnt have gone off for that
Old 11-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Instructor

yes it will fit, but u have the check the years i think the 02-03s are different from the 99-01
Old 11-11-2004, 05:38 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
at 5mph??????? that doesnt sound right. they shouldnt have gone off for that
That's what I was thinking... I'm gonna have a chat with the Acura dealer... it may have been a bad Airbag sensor or something...
Old 11-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

as long as you hit the right part of the front end with enough force its gonna deploy the airbags...matter of fact when me and my friends were younger we would kick in the headlights of like a 89 90 mustang and watch the airbags deploy...and all it took was a kick so hey will def. go off at 5mph no matter what car....ford,or acura!!!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by liryders
as long as you hit the right part of the front end with enough force its gonna deploy the airbags...matter of fact when me and my friends were younger we would kick in the headlights of like a 89 90 mustang and watch the airbags deploy...and all it took was a kick so hey will def. go off at 5mph no matter what car....ford,or acura!!!!!
sorry i call bs on that. once the car is off they wont deploy, and you cant kick a car hard enough to set them off. if you could bumps and hitting the brakes would set them off. i spent 4 years in auto body and i know how they work! even at 5mph they shouldnt go off because there wouldnt be enough force impact to set them off.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts

I know they can go off at really low speeds. Especially if you hit a pole or a tree. Anything that don't crumple. I slipped on black ice going less than 10 mph, hit a tree near the side of the road, and they went off on my Nissan.
But to answer your question, yes they fit. They have the same part number for both cars.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Umm, bullshit. Most new cars do not have SRS "sensors" anymore. They have a single unit in which a g-force meter is built in, and it measures the stopping force, along with collecting other necessary data.

For instance, if you quickly slammed on the brakes, then it would not produce enough g-force to trigger the unit. However, if you ran into a stationary object such as a tree or a wall, then the unit would sense that the car has come to a complete stop all of a sudden, meaning the occupants are still moving forward at the speed the car was travelling at previously. Based on that data, and following set guidelines, it will decide whether you would need the SRS or not.

Chances are, his mom drove into the pole and came to an immediate stop, triggering the unit. A lot of cars don't use "impact force sensors" in bumpers anymore. Even in cars so equipped, the sensors are located far enough back that simply kicking it would not trigger it, because that would be pretty close to the force of another car bumping into you. Imagine parked in a spot and someone bumps into you, and your air bags go off. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

However, if you were stopped and someone rear-ended you, then it could produce enough sudden forward g-force to trigger the unit. It just depends on the amount of force.

So any way you see it, your story just doesn't make technical or logical sense. Nothing personal, but it just isn't true.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Part numbers for black interior.

Passenger side airbag assembly
06780-S0K-A81ZB -- fits 2001-2003 CL and TL

Driver side airbag assembly
06770-SY8-A90ZD -- fits 2001-2001 CL, and 1999-2001 TL, 2001-2001 MDX

Send an E-mail to Tim at hondacura world@aol.com (no space). He works at a dealership, and I get all my OEM parts from him. Awesome prices.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Umm, bullshit. Most new cars do not have SRS "sensors" anymore. They have a single unit in which a g-force meter is built in, and it measures the stopping force, along with collecting other necessary data.

For instance, if you quickly slammed on the brakes, then it would not produce enough g-force to trigger the unit. However, if you ran into a stationary object such as a tree or a wall, then the unit would sense that the car has come to a complete stop all of a sudden, meaning the occupants are still moving forward at the speed the car was travelling at previously. Based on that data, and following set guidelines, it will decide whether you would need the SRS or not.

Chances are, his mom drove into the pole and came to an immediate stop, triggering the unit. A lot of cars don't use "impact force sensors" in bumpers anymore. Even in cars so equipped, the sensors are located far enough back that simply kicking it would not trigger it, because that would be pretty close to the force of another car bumping into you. Imagine parked in a spot and someone bumps into you, and your air bags go off. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

However, if you were stopped and someone rear-ended you, then it could produce enough sudden forward g-force to trigger the unit. It just depends on the amount of force.

So any way you see it, your story just doesn't make technical or logical sense. Nothing personal, but it just isn't true.
couldnt have said it better! they/most operate on a Decelerometer. meaning the car has to slow at a (computerdetermined rate) fast enough to have them deploy.