Why are my NSX caliper getting rusty, best way to remove the rust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why are my NSX caliper getting rusty, best way to remove the rust?

Ok as some may know I had my NSX calipers installed by a idiot tech at my job. He cut the rotors and put new greenstuff pads on. At first he did not bleed them right and car did not stop, so then I rebled the whole car with his help. Then driving home I noticed me car did not feel right and noticed my caliper was red hot pad melted to the rotor, warped rotor. Next day i noticed brake hose was kinked so i swaped out the hose but the damage was done the rubber in the caliper was deff comprimised so i called rockauto and have anouther rebuilt caliper sent to me house, just waiting 5 day back-order.
After a heavy rain I notice that Both calipers are orange from rust like alot of bright orange rust. These where rebuilt 1996 NSX caliper they looked new when I got them so why all the bright orange rust?
I was not gonna paint them but I dont want orange calipers so I will now end up painting them when my other caliper gets here.
My questions are why are these calipers rusting like they are?
What is the best way to get the rust off to prep them for paint, wire brust or what?
I know there is a special caliper paint some are spray and some are brush one what are the best ones to use.
I am gonna paint the one caliper and bracket off the car when the caliper comes in the mail and paint the other one while on the car ( i dont wanna disconect the brake hose and let air in the line if i dont have to) so my question is can u paint them while on the car still?

Is they a product i should use to get the rust off or just scatch/scrub it off?
Thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
should have clear coated them. =]
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i would use a wire brush and a chemical cleaner to remove the rust and debris. i spray painted (high temp grill paint) my calipers and brackets off the car before i installed the legend calipers, but i have seen the brush on paint. my rears have still not been painted yet, but i plan to use the spray when i get around to doing so.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by jjashaa
should have clear coated them. =]
They looked so nice I though they had some kind off rust protection on them.
I never seen calipers turn bright orange like mine did, It almost liooked painted orange, WTF?
When they rebuilt them they took all the clear coat off and never replaced it?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
B A N N E D

How nasty is that!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

LOL!....

paint them silver and the letters red.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:01 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by jjashaa
LOL!....

paint them silver and the letters red.
I was thinking calipers red and NSX silver or Black..

I just was amazed how rusty they got after 1 rainstorm..
Does anyone else who has NSX or legend calipers had them rust like that?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

silver with red letters.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legend calipers never rust like that. I know from personal expierence. But they were black stock though.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
I bought some spray paint at auto parts store labeled for calipers. They were clean rebuilt calipers & I used brake cleaner to clean off any residue or dust. Then hung them up w/ a coat hanger outside to paint. You don't want any paint getting around the pistons so mask that off. There's no way you can do a decent job with it mounted on the car.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
bringin lead

Originally Posted by StonedCL
that is nasty. tells me they were not coated at the re-man facility. paint them black with red or silver NSX.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
B A N N E D

I cant belive they did not coat them after they rebuilt them..??

The onle caliper that im getting i will paint off the car , and take the braket off the car and paint it also, the other caliper i will take the bracket off and paint the bracket while its off the caliper and will paint the cariper off the rotor but still attached to the brake like , I should have no problem doing that correct?

What is the best way to get the rust off , Sandpaper, or metal brush?
Is there something I can spray on the rusty caliper B4 i start taking a wire brush or sandpaper to it?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
jeez whiz kids- all you need is a Duplicolor caliper paint kit- does 4 cars worth of brake painting,
or a can of engine paint and clear coat, or bbq paint
All work to 500 degrees- thats plenty

if you get a spray can get foam brushes too- much easier and controlled application than a spray can- spray into cup, dip foam brush and use a steady hand to paint the bracket and caliper

Kit: Use the included foam brush and buy some extras as the paint dries fast in the brush
Kit has spray cleaner- masking tape- paint-1 brush- instructions
A fine job can be done on the car- I touch mine up before a ziner meet~
A round wire wheel on cordless drill, or wire brush, or plain old sandpaper will knock that surface rust off and prep for paint-

The spray cleaner removes all grease- careful about degreasing the caliper slides!
See the DIYs on caliper painting- some people do it the hard way- others figure out how to paint the rotor edges and center sections that rust too

If the calipers were clear coated originally- that went away when parts went into the solvent tank and sandblaster
Cant expect them to recoat- they fit new seals and call it done

Legend calipers get a slight amount of it unless you paint- most anything will~
That engine paint clear coat might be good idea too- Im guessing that would need to be sprayed to look good- the foam brush leaves no marks and paint blends together very well- a few thin coats is better than 1 thick drippy one

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 08-06-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 PM
B A N N E D

Thanks for all the help my raybesto rotors came in today just waiting for my caliper, and prob will go w/akeebano pads since 2 of my ebc are bad!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
B A N N E D

OK after I slap on my Akebano pads and duralast rotors (they where cheap and i'm broke) and paint my NSX calipers (prob red w/black NSX) and slap it all together , I have to dissconect my brand new brake line and hook up the caliper (passenger side) do I have to Bleed the whole car again or could i get away with just bleeding the passenger side cuz I am only replacing that caliper!?!?

I hope I dont have to bleed the whole car again , I went through alot of castrol GTLMA fluiod in last two weeks bleeding the car 2-3 times all-ready!

I can't wait till im done and can enjoy my car w/o anything having to be fixed but with my luck my engine will seize!!?!?!!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Drifting

What happened to the Raybestos rotors?? You said they came in....
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by totaledTL
What happened to the Raybestos rotors?? You said they came in....
WOOPS my bad I meant Raybesto i dunno why I said duralst, I was prob looking at something else when I posted that....

BTW anyone ever run raybesto rotors on there CL..

im putting on akebano proact pads raybesto rotors NSX calipers hope it dont warp like every other setup i had..
I got EBC greenstuff pads CHEAP on EBAY but my passenger side caliper was stuck on (compressed) cuz the idiot that put the calipers on kinked the hose so those pads pretty much melted!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Team Owner

prefill the caliper as able before install-
then bleed it first to get fluid distributed inside
Next- go back- LF RF RR LR once again, should only find air in the new caliper

1 pint should do this time, but a qt is only a few dollars more,
safer to have more than not enough
Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
B A N N E D

OK I went to the store to buy some caliper paint and they had dupi-color caliper paint kit which inluded paint, brush, tape, and degreaser it was non aresol..for $20
I Have tape , degreaser / brake cleaner, and brushes but the only other dupi-color caliper paint was aresol spray can $6 BUT i wanna brush it on...
can I buy the aresol and spray it into a cup and brush it on?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Kind of defeats the purpose of the spray- convenience. Spraying it on worked fine for me.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Spraying worked for me.

I actually have to do it again since my calipers got chipped when I was having my rotors put in. Pressed hub FTMFL!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Team Owner

I prefer the foam brush,,it gives me more control,,,must---have---control---
Old 08-08-2009, 10:00 AM
B A N N E D

I want to use a brush to have controll...

I will buy a couple of foam brushes just in case I need them.
I would rather brush then spray but no one answered my question..
Can I spray the paint from the aresal can into a cup or can and use the brush to paint the caliper?
I also wanna brush cuz I wanna paint the N_S_X black and cant spray that need a thin brush for percision...
I will try spraying but I think the brush will be easeir to get it in the cracks and crevases thats why i wanna paint it on..
I dont wanna spend $20 on the kit cuz i have everything that comes in the kit except the paint but the caliper paint is all spray on not can thats why I am asking if i can spray it into a can and brush it on????
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 AM
bringin lead

^^answered already.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
jeez whiz kids- all you need is a Duplicolor caliper paint kit- does 4 cars worth of brake painting,
or a can of engine paint and clear coat, or bbq paint
All work to 500 degrees- thats plenty

if you get a spray can get foam brushes too- much easier and controlled application than a spray can- spray into cup, dip foam brush and use a steady hand to paint the bracket and caliper

Kit: Use the included foam brush and buy some extras as the paint dries fast in the brush
Kit has spray cleaner- masking tape- paint-1 brush- instructions
A fine job can be done on the car- I touch mine up before a ziner meet~
A round wire wheel on cordless drill, or wire brush, or plain old sandpaper will knock that surface rust off and prep for paint-

The spray cleaner removes all grease- careful about degreasing the caliper slides!
See the DIYs on caliper painting- some people do it the hard way- others figure out how to paint the rotor edges and center sections that rust too

If the calipers were clear coated originally- that went away when parts went into the solvent tank and sandblaster
Cant expect them to recoat- they fit new seals and call it done

Legend calipers get a slight amount of it unless you paint- most anything will~
That engine paint clear coat might be good idea too- Im guessing that would need to be sprayed to look good- the foam brush leaves no marks and paint blends together very well- a few thin coats is better than 1 thick drippy one
Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 AM
B A N N E D

Oh ok thanks I can see it now that its in BOLD, thank you!

I can afford the paint kit cuz i want 2 deff colors red for the caliper and black for the N-S-X... so either $40 for 2 kits or $12 for 2 cans!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:50 AM
bringin lead

just buy the grill paint at home depot or lowes (in spray can form). its the same stuff and cheaper there than at the parts stores.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Team Owner

bbq paint works well too- just check if its gloss black
engine paint also, both are cheaper,,, that store is a rip- the kits are 10 bucks

I spray into a disposable cup then use a foam brush and the result is as good as you need,,, for something always covered in dust~
Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 PM
B A N N E D

OK my caliper came and I was gonna start painting today but....

A tech really messed up my calipers and I had to reorder a caliper cuz it turned lava RED..

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/i-think-my-nsx-caliper-no-good-frozen-738298/

That is the thread I am soo pissed dont feel like yping it over...

BUT my ? is would tigtening the 2 size 14 bolts that hold the caliper to a bracket/rotor to 1000 foot lbs cuz the caliper to lock up against the rotor?

I brokr a wrench and a snap-on rachet trying to get them off and not 1 of the 2 will budge!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Team Owner

oh wow man- those are supposed to be ~40 foot pounds, dont have specs in front of me but its not very much,
that could pinch the slider function of it to not operate, so it wouldnt move right
Like we said before - everything has to move freely, the pads in the bracket and the caliper in and out-

Could have caused your problem but Ive seen a lot of cars with small bolts put on with an airgun and somewhere between 90 and 140 foot pounds! even the wheels are only 80
Better check every bolt including the brake lines
kragen.com has a good tech section and torque specs on the parts