Why are idiots allowed to drive??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 02:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are idiots allowed to drive??

I've had my tls for nearly 5 months now, and as of Dec 3rd, no dents or chips. Well that very night, it happened. I was going to my accounting meeting at my college, and no matter where i go, i always park away from other cars. So i park at the end of the lot, and guess what?? some ****** in a red dodge neon parks right beside me. As im walking away from my cark, i hear this rather loud clank. OH CRAP!!! she didnt, i thought to myself. I turn around and see that her door was extremely close to my passenger side door. I assumed the worst and thought that i should go talk to her, but i was late for my meeting, and i decided that i would deal with this situation a little later. Fortunately, when my meetin was over her car was still there, so i left a note instructing her to call me at her convinence. I wrote down her license plate # and sure enough, she called the next day saying that she did make the dent, but it was dark so she couldnt see how bad it was. I spoke with her later on and she told me that she would write a check for the damage. IMO, actions speak louder than words, so well have to see what happens. I managed to make a recording of both calls, so if she trys to back out or say it wasnt her, ill take her *** to court and get my whole freakin door replaced and painted!!!. Normally, i wouldn't be this much of an ass, but maybe the next time she gets out of her car, she'll pay more attention to the one parked next to her!!! Ill post some pics of the damage and hopefully, it will be fixed soon, but until then.... I HAVE A FRIGGIN DENT IN MY FRIGGIN CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRGH
Old 12-07-2001, 02:50 AM
...and then there was One

Don't you hate it when you try and take care of something, and someone else goes and messes it up?
At least she was cool about it. A lot of people wouldn't have the balls to admit it. Those are the worst dings, though. Almost like a crease; hard to get out.
By the way, was she cute?
Old 12-07-2001, 02:55 AM
Banned

At least you had someone to blame. I got a HUGE dent after 2 months having the car. I parked far away like you did, and about an 30min later the wind kicked up at Best Buy where i was shopping and rain started to pour and the shopping carts started to move with the wind, guess where 3 of the carts landed? ON MY CAR! Only one dent, and I took it to dent busters and its all perfect again. the dent was HUGE, everyone noticed it. Good as new now.

Thats my dumb story. I figure we just cant hide from it, sooner or later it will happen.

Also im sure she will pay for it, But just in case, did you ask her for insurance info, just in case?
Old 12-07-2001, 02:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that what i want to know is she cute...well i guess not or you wouldnt be so mad about the ding....
Old 12-07-2001, 03:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by shawhite
that what i want to know is she cute...well i guess not or you wouldnt be so mad about the ding....
Hey at least he got her number... WOO-HOO!!
Old 12-07-2001, 07:30 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Why are idiots allowed to drive??

Originally posted by CO-TLS
I managed to make a recording of both calls, so if she trys to back out or say it wasnt her, ill take her *** to court and get my whole freakin door replaced and painted!!!.
I know how you feel. This has happened to me plenty of times, like the times my 4 month old Accord sedan and my mom's 9 month old Villager minivan were both dented by a stupid driver. It seems as if new cars are a magnet for these things. Sometimes I wonder if the stupid drivers do it on purpose because they are jealous. I mean, I always watch how far I open a door so I don't hit someone's door, even if it is an old beat-up truck.

It really sucks. Now I am so paranoid that I don't even take the TL-S anywhere where I have to park it beside strangers. I never take it to the mall, school, stores, or even the parking garage.

BTW, isn't recording a conversation illegal without the consent of the other party in the converstion? Even if it is, you have some leverage in making her come through with the reimbursement. Good luck let us know how things turn out.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:37 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
The other thing about the idiots is that they are attracted to your car at a rate inversely proportional to its value - when I had a clunk Altima, it never got so much as a nick - the 3rd day I had my TL-S, some nudnick dented my driver door (thank heaven for Demt Wizard).
Old 12-07-2001, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I posted my story a short while back..

I was at traffic light...it was red..
I was the first car...this car behind me a civic... a hispanic guy with 2 kids..
all of a sudden...I felt a huge bump , he ramed me from behind..thinking HE was the FIRST car and the light turned GREEN..which it ISN'T ...it's still RED...

a bunch of scratches, chips of paint came off and my rear skirt too...a lil dent....what an idiot..
he shouldn't be allowed on the road...

city
Old 12-07-2001, 02:13 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Why are idiots allowed to drive??

Originally posted by vandy786

BTW, isn't recording a conversation illegal without the consent of the other party in the converstion? Even if it is, you have some leverage in making her come through with the reimbursement. Good luck let us know how things turn out.
Depends on the State. For example, in NJ only one party needs to know the conversation is being recorded (presumably the caller or the called)
Old 12-07-2001, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I've had my tls for nearly 5 months now, and as of Dec 3rd, no dents or chips. Well that very night, it happened. I was going to my accounting meeting at my college, and no matter where i go, i always park away from other cars. So i park at the end of the lot, and guess what?? some ****** in a red dodge neon parks right beside me ... (snip, snip)

I have now heard, seen, and suffered from this so much, that I think its probably good material for a "human behavior" study.

A DMV driver's test (with simulated parking lot *and* single car in the "empty-and-far-away area") should include a final, "Hey, where do you want to park-in-this-lot test!" All drivers that suffer from "Fatal Car Attraction Syndrome" (as you've described) should be sent to a facility for further tests and study.

Got my most worst ding that same way
Old 12-07-2001, 04:16 PM
bluLEGEND

Originally posted by Road Rage
The other thing about the idiots is that they are attracted to your car at a rate inversely proportional to its value - when I had a clunk Altima, it never got so much as a nick - the 3rd day I had my TL-S, some nudnick dented my driver door (thank heaven for Demt Wizard).
You mean proportional to its value.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:28 PM
Instructor

I didnt manage to get her insurance info, and as far as recording a phone call, i dont think the first would be illegal since she left a message on my answering machine. But i did make a recording of the phone conversation i had with her, but who knows. I just want my car to look like new. And to make things worse, it seems that a bird ate a bad worm or something and took a massive crap all over my car today. Gross. Two spots on the hood, one on the passenger side (almost smack on the new dent), and another on my trunk. My poor car

oh, i cant really tell u if she was hot, it was dark out and i was more concerned about my meeting than my car (yes, i know, i need to get my priorities straight ) Anyways, ill be in denver this weekend to get my 7500 mile checkup and hopefully some new tail lights (see the spiders and bees in my taillights thread) Ill let ya all know how things turn out in a few days.

p.s. anyone have at&t @home? they said i should have been back up by wed, and guess what, its friday!!
Old 12-07-2001, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

CO-TLS, RE: the p.s. anyone have at&t...

In So Cal, they already planned for the interruption, but the e-mail has been going nuts with no "Network Status" updating (What good is an advisory, if you don't use it often, or it's too late!)

You might want to mention the area your in, since I believe that some outages/restorations are area dependent (not sure).
Old 12-07-2001, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If there is no paint damage, definitely try paintless dent removal; afterall you dont want to repaint a panel if you really dont have to.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
If there is no paint damage, definitely try paintless dent removal; afterall you dont want to repaint a panel if you really dont have to.
You got that one right (A "dinged" door, with pant damage, on my wife's car required three repaint jobs -- #2, #3 at one of the better places in town, after #1 [dealer recommended] couldn't get it right). Two days of wasted time, three lease cars, and a restock of antacids.

Dent Wizard fixed 3 different dents (no paint damage) and the results were flawless!.

As a note, there are a few detailers that have excellent dent guys that will fix a bevy of dents on one or more panels for even lower prices (get recommendations).
Old 12-09-2001, 04:22 PM
Race Director

Why would you commit a felony by tape recording somebody illegally confessing to a minor fender bender?
Old 12-09-2001, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Kensteele and others. Just to clear up the taping of conversations. It is LEGAL in ALL 50 states to tape record someone just so long ONE of the parties in question knows the conversation is being recorded. On the other hand, it is NOT admissable in a court of law.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by FKNA
Kensteele and others. Just to clear up the taping of conversations. It is LEGAL in ALL 50 states to tape record someone just so long ONE of the parties in question knows the conversation is being recorded. On the other hand, it is NOT admissable in a court of law.
Not always the case. Yes, you are correct--the *federal* standard is ONE party consent. However, the U.S. Constitution allows states' constitutions to be more restrictive in protecting personal freedoms and so long as they don't go against federal law (say, NO party consent), they can add their own restrictions. In MA, the Massachusetts Constitution (Article 14) requires TWO party consent for taping of conversations, regardless of their intended use. What can I say, we're a liberal state. Hence the rule of law in MA is two party consent, and the unlawful taping is a felony. Your state, of course, may be different.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Just to let every1 know, the incriminating tape was what she left on my answering machine, i merely made a copy of it. I did record a phone conversation using my cell phone, but the recording on my answering machine was the most damaging. I dont believe that this is illegal, because, uh, its an answering machine. Thats what it is supposed to do. So how could i get in trouble? Oh well, i it doesnt really matter now. At the time, i was pissed, but when i took my car in for its 7500 check up, they said the dent wasnt that bad and the paint scratch could be buffed out
Old 12-11-2001, 07:46 PM
Instructor

I fogot to mention, that in Colorado, only one party has to consent to a recording, and that would be me