Why is Honda so damn stupid!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is Honda so damn stupid!!!

Is it me or his honda full of Sh%t. Why is there even a question of making a v8 Acura Rl? Every other import has a v8 as their flagship luxury model and Honda still contemplates making one. Whats the fugging problem. I like the Rl but basically its the same sz and has the same #S as the tl but about 10 grand more. Wake up Honda make a fugging V8 RL.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

$hit...it took American Honda years before they introduced a V6, much later than Nissan or Toyota. If history proves itself correct, we've got a fairly good wait for the V8 intro.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Lawaia
$hit...it took American Honda years before they introduced a V6, much later than Nissan or Toyota. If history proves itself correct, we've got a fairly good wait for the V8 intro.
Yeah, but our V8's will perform better and aaah the vtech kicking in on a V8! Can you imagine the sound?!?
Old 02-09-2002, 05:32 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Re: Why is Honda so damn stupid!!!

Originally posted by acnup00tl
Is it me or his honda full of Sh%t.
They fulla shiet.
Old 02-09-2002, 06:08 AM
...and then there was One

What do you think, 2005 for the RL to have a V8, and rear-wheel drive?
Old 02-09-2002, 10:56 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what's the big deal? Aren't the V6's in the TL-P and TL-S adequate?
Old 02-09-2002, 11:07 AM
Pro

As long as Honda keeps making $$$ on the V6 w/V-tec. They won't put out any V8 w/V-tec for a long long time.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Instructor

I see more Lexus LS430, BMW 740, Audi A8 than RL here in MN. I would never buy a V6 RL unless it makes as much as HP as a V8. Not sure what Honda is thinking for putting in a weak V6 in their flagship Acura to compete with all the 280+ HP V8s. The new automatic transmission NSX is also low on HP and it is Acura's flagship sports car
Old 02-09-2002, 07:26 PM
Racer

Hondas most basic rule is economy and fuel efficiency as is the reason they develop high hp small engines. You will see a V8 but it will be a small one with a lot of hp and not as much torqe
Old 02-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tls988
I see more Lexus LS430, BMW 740, Audi A8 than RL here in MN. I would never buy a V6 RL unless it makes as much as HP as a V8. Not sure what Honda is thinking for putting in a weak V6 in their flagship Acura to compete with all the 280+ HP V8s. The new automatic transmission NSX is also low on HP and it is Acura's flagship sports car
uh, the "new" nsx is just REFRESHED... that means it got a face lift. its "low" on hp because the engine hasn't changed much in the last few years. the next generation NSX will come out in two years or something.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro

Whats makes ya so sure it'll perform much better? hope honda's v8(if there will be one) will have some torque below 6k

Originally posted by evolaerok

Yeah, but our V8's will perform better and aaah the vtech kicking in on a V8! Can you imagine the sound?!?
Old 02-10-2002, 09:36 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally posted by tls988
Even if Honda puts a V8 in the current RL, I believe still not many people would buy it. The problem is that the RL is not in the same league as the other cars and that people don't seem to associate the name "Acura" with a ultra luxury car line like Lexus, MB, and BMW.

Go and sit inside a LS430, BMW740i, Audi A8, Jaguar XJ-S, MB S-class, and also compare the features with a RL. You will understand what I mean. The RL just simply does not have the luxury level and features as the other cars as a flagship car. So why waste the money to develop a V8 to compete in the V8 arena.

Honda made a very wrong move at the start by marketing the Acura line as a mid-level luxury car line instead of a high-level luxury car line like Lexus and maybe Infinity. I see that Acura is now heading that way by erasing the Legend and Integra names. Hopefully, the soon-to-come V8 RL and NSX will elevate the Acura name to a higher level.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Banned

Supposed to be a V8 NSX in a couple years...I bet that car would have some minerals. :wow:
Old 02-11-2002, 02:34 AM
Pro

V8 would be nice but imagine how much gas it would eat up~
Old 02-11-2002, 09:07 AM

Hopefully, the soon-to-come V8 RL and NSX will elevate the Acura name to a higher level.
As mentioned in another topic, the NSX doesn't sell all that well compared to others cars in it's price range/category. I don't really understand where Acura's head is to be honest, when they have a $19k car and a $90k car in a lineup of 6 cars, that seems like such a large divide.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:57 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The NSX is way over priced. You can get a used Ferrari for that price or a new Viper and mod it a lil, or better yet get a Corvette zo6 for a lil over 50 and drop 30 grand into twin turbos and other mods and you will have fvcking Mclaren killer. Id rather spend my money on the supercharged Mustang cobra thats coming. OMG i just realized that for a lil less than 90,000 i can import a Skyline and have it converted for U.S.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by PsyKotiC RydeR
Whats makes ya so sure it'll perform much better? hope honda's v8(if there will be one) will have some torque below 6k

Well I'm saying this based on Honda's current products. I mean look @ the 4 cylinder's and the V-6. They all perform better than it's competitors. I mean with the v-6 only really competitor I see is Nissan and it's 3.5 and BMW with it's 3.0. I know you might mention your Supra's 6 w/ turbo or Wrx w/ turbo, but right now I'm talking normally aspirated. Which Honda does so well, for a price so reasonable. I mean I know the NSX is a 90k car, but I happened to consider this car a "exotic". I got to sit and ride in one and the car is pure sports car. You have the looks, the engine, the sound, and the refinement. It's hand built and about 90% of the car is Aluminum. The roar really resembles a Ferrari. Yes your supra might go faster, but drive one and you'll know it's not all about speed, this car is special all it's own. And another plus is you have better reliability and livability in this than a Porsche or a Ferrari. My dad's friend has a Ferrari F355 and whenever his get's service on it, it costs him nearly 8k for the work. Trust me if the engines that are used in F1 or cart is any hint, than honda has a super engine coming up.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Pro

lol, why do most people on this board think i am comparing every car to my car?

and i never said nething about nsx's. nothing about their speed or looks..but i will say it now..for the money you are paying you dont get enuff..not just performance..but go look inside the interior of the nsx and tell me its worth 80k for it. but i do like the looks of it but lacks speed compared to other sports cars. and i would never mind having one of them for i LIKE all cars.

and nsx's are more reliable than ferraris just cuz it costs ferrari owners 8k(more like 3k) for a service? you gotta have deep ass pockets to own such an exotic and it will surely cost you more than a regular car for maintenance.Thats a given.

and honda isnt the only one's with f1 engines and such.=)

Originally posted by evolaerok

Well I'm saying this based on Honda's current products. I mean look @ the 4 cylinder's and the V-6. They all perform better than it's competitors. I mean with the v-6 only really competitor I see is Nissan and it's 3.5 and BMW with it's 3.0. I know you might mention your Supra's 6 w/ turbo or Wrx w/ turbo, but right now I'm talking normally aspirated. Which Honda does so well, for a price so reasonable. I mean I know the NSX is a 90k car, but I happened to consider this car a "exotic". I got to sit and ride in one and the car is pure sports car. You have the looks, the engine, the sound, and the refinement. It's hand built and about 90% of the car is Aluminum. The roar really resembles a Ferrari. Yes your supra might go faster, but drive one and you'll know it's not all about speed, this car is special all it's own. And another plus is you have better reliability and livability in this than a Porsche or a Ferrari. My dad's friend has a Ferrari F355 and whenever his get's service on it, it costs him nearly 8k for the work. Trust me if the engines that are used in F1 or cart is any hint, than honda has a super engine coming up.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Banned

Oh no way, have you ever ridden in an NSX? If I had the 90k Id get myself one. That car is the sh*t the sh*t.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:56 PM

just an fyi, Porsche has a very good reliability reputation, and good resale value also.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:41 PM

IF ANYONE thinks a NSX sounds like ANY Ferrari, you are on dope.

NSX is a good buy.......used, that thing depreciates like Enron stock , 90k and Acura=

The NSX was cool when it was 64k when it came out, 90k for a car with a FACELIFT after 12 years is CRAZY.

Porsche 911 Carrera Widebody for me please.

BTW, Honda is not full of crap. 2 things about them.
1. They study the market a LONG TIME before making a new car.
2. They are very CONSERVATIVE.

Nothing wrong with that is there? Honda has some of the most brand loyal people PERIOD. That is why most their cars looks so bland. If NO ONE else buys it, a previous or current Honda buyer will, no matter HOW it looks. Honda has a great "Brand" and reputation.

And a V-8 is not all about speed people.
1. Smoothness
2. Abundant low end torque
Old 02-11-2002, 05:42 PM

Why is the title of this thread so damn stupid?

Honda is a great company period.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TedC
just an fyi, Porsche has a very good reliability reputation, and good resale value also.
Better than all exotics... but very good is kinda pushing it.

My friends 996 had faulty gaskets so it leaked oil. The dealership
had to have it rebuilt (replaced every gasket) with 4000 miles on
it. Even after that it dripped oil. The dealership said there were
a couple with this problem.

Compare that to a co-workers 355, 456 and f50... the porsche
looks indestructable.

Without a doubt though the NSX (from people I personally know)
wins hands down in the reliability department.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Racer

NSX overpriced? How much do you think it costs to hand make a car that made out of alum? The engine alone with titanium rods goes for like $25K
Old 02-11-2002, 11:15 PM
Banned

oooooo, wish I had some titanium rods!
Old 02-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

and nsx's are more reliable than ferraris just cuz it costs ferrari owners 8k(more like 3k) for a service? you gotta have deep ass pockets to own such an exotic and it will surely cost you more than a regular car for maintenance.Thats a given.

and honda isnt the only one's with f1 engines and such.=)

When I mentioned the service for ferrari's, I didn't mean reliability. I meant daily livability. Meaning you can drive it and not worry about big service bills. About 3k for a service, I don't know, I'm basing the 8k service bill because of my fathers friend who takes in his Ferrari for that price (no matter to him, he makes over 6million for a yearly income. Who always seems to have some problem or another. NSX is the car I would buy "if" I make the money and am in a market for a "exotic" sort of car. A ferrari is something I would buy if I won the lotto. Oh and yes I know Honda isn't the only one's who developes f1 engines, but they are one of the only companies who apply their F1 know how to their "consumer" line of cars @ a very reasonable price. Compare the S2k to the Z3, the s2k will eat it up and @ a more reasonable cost. I see your point though PsyKotiC...
Old 02-12-2002, 09:55 AM

evo, I tend to disagree slightly about an S2000/Z3 purchase, the Z3 is only about .3 slower, has much more torque, and has alot of power in it's low range, as opposed to the S2000 that needs to hit almost 8500rpm's to take advantage of it's power. And I think someone else here also said that the S just isn't a day-to-day driver as opposed to the Z (granted, they're both small, I just mean that commuting and such is easier in a Z. Also, isn't Honda planning to retire the S soon ? I'd like to see them throw a six in there, add some more torque, and bring down the rpm's a little.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Racer

Read my signature... The S2000 is a horrible daily river but the best dam weekend car/ Track car you can own. At least in this neck of the woods.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Pro

It is merely an opinion if some one thinks the NSX is overpriced or not. for me it is. I know its not all about speed but NSX lacks in handling and breaking compared to RX-7's and even Supras. 7's pull close to 1g's and supras at .98g's to be exact. Now tell me that titanium rods and aluminum body chassis are going to improve all that...and this is just my opinion too but i dont think honda is doing just a good job on applying their F1 engines to consumer cars considering that they get some power above 6k or so.. i like the s2000 and some other hondas...they look cute..but they just lack torq for me and vtec doenst really do much for me either.

btw s2000 would be an awsome auto-x car.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TedC
evo, I tend to disagree slightly about an S2000/Z3 purchase, the Z3 is only about .3 slower, has much more torque, and has alot of power in it's low range, as opposed to the S2000 that needs to hit almost 8500rpm's to take advantage of it's power. And I think someone else here also said that the S just isn't a day-to-day driver as opposed to the Z (granted, they're both small, I just mean that commuting and such is easier in a Z. Also, isn't Honda planning to retire the S soon ? I'd like to see them throw a six in there, add some more torque, and bring down the rpm's a little.
I totally agree with you on the daily driver part, I drove the S2k and been in a Z3, both driven hard and the Z3 just feels "sleeper" to me. Maybe it is different with the 3.0i, but with the 2.8i it felt slow and heavy.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:41 PM
Racer

It is merely an opinion if some one thinks the NSX is overpriced or not. for me it is. I know its not all about speed but NSX lacks in handling and breaking compared to RX-7's and even Supras. 7's pull close to 1g's and supras at .98g's to be exact. Now tell me that titanium rods and aluminum body chassis are going to improve all that...and this is just my opinion too but i dont think honda is doing just a good job on applying their F1 engines to consumer cars considering that they get some power above 6k or so.. i like the s2000 and some other hondas...they look cute..but they just lack torq for me and vtec doenst really do much for me either.

btw s2000 would be an awsome auto-x car.
um..no.. you have never been in an NSX on a track like PIR... It completely dominates RX-7's and Supras.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:35 PM
Pro

yea sure, if the 7/supra drivers arent equally matched to the nsx driver. any body can have a 500hp car or whatever..but not every one can drive it.

but given with equal drivers 7/supra will beat a nsx. this isnt coming just from my opinion..only if the link works for the stats i can show you.Do you also think the s2000 will dominate too?

and you are correct, i have never been in a nsx.

question. have you ever drove a 7 or a supra? so far i have beaten only 2 nsx's around my area. not much of a big/long race..but just a short one from speeds of 60-120. i had 2 cars on both of them and im still stock...duno if the nsx was modded or not.

Originally posted by y2ks2k

um..no.. you have never been in an NSX on a track like PIR... It completely dominates RX-7's and Supras.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:06 PM

Who the hell drives at .98 Gs on a daily basis in ANY car? No one probably. A lot of the 2 seater sports car thing is about panache and class and the WOW factor. I am sure there are many a Ferrari or Lambo or Porsche owner who knows DIDLEY about cars but KNOW they got to have that ONE!

That is why Acura sells ohh 3 NSXs a month, it is an OUTSTANDING car but for 90k, unknowing people will buy that Porsche or Jag, feel me......
Old 02-13-2002, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Who the hell drives at .98 Gs on a daily basis in ANY car? No one probably. A lot of the 2 seater sports car thing is about panache and class and the WOW factor. I am sure there are many a Ferrari or Lambo or Porsche owner who knows DIDLEY about cars but KNOW they got to have that ONE!

That is why Acura sells ohh 3 NSXs a month, it is an OUTSTANDING car but for 90k, unknowing people will buy that Porsche or Jag, feel me......
I've driven an NSX and I'll take one in a heart beat!!!!
Old 02-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Pro

i duno if it is too safe to drive around doing.98 g's on the streets..=)i for one drive like a lil biznitch=)

y2k8d(sorry bout the name) was stating about track performance..

btw here is the link..the site was down but one of the guys at SF found it for me.=)

another link=)

http://blurred.gliebster.com/vehicles/BMW/00_M5/

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Old 02-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Pro

i would too, only if was really really really filthy rich and had all the money in the world!! i would get me every color supra both auto/6spd, ferraris,porches,lambos,nsx,s2000,tl,cl,maxima..on and on and on and o and on~~

Originally posted by goaub

Old 02-13-2002, 05:53 PM
Pro

i would too, only if was really really really filthy rich and had all the money in the world!! i would get me every color supra both auto/6spd, ferraris,porches,lambos,nsx,s2000,tl,cl,maxima..on and on and on and o and on~~

Originally posted by goaub

Old 02-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Racer

yea sure, if the 7/supra drivers arent equally matched to the nsx driver. any body can have a 500hp car or whatever..but not every one can drive it.

but given with equal drivers 7/supra will beat a nsx. this isnt coming just from my opinion..only if the link works for the stats i can show you.Do you also think the s2000 will dominate too?

and you are correct, i have never been in a nsx.

question. have you ever drove a 7 or a supra? so far i have beaten only 2 nsx's around my area. not much of a big/long race..but just a short one from speeds of 60-120. i had 2 cars on both of them and im still stock...duno if the nsx was modded or not.

The fact that you are limiting your thought to strait line performance is interesting, what’s truly "sports car" like about going in a strait line? Have you ever been on a track... by that I mean not a drag strip but a TRACK? Anyone can take a car and step on the accelerator in a strait line, my grandma can. I have been in cars from 2001 M5's to Comptec prepped NSX's on the track that make you want to throw up. I have personally spanked many cars on the track and been spanked by many cars. The NSX and S2000 are NOT drag cars THANK GOD! They are purely lightweight completely balanced performance cars that are in top of their leagues on the track in stock form.

And in the second part, being that you are strait line orientated, why would you choose a $25000 supped up Supra or an RX7 to do this when you can put together an America V8 car like a Mustang for like $5,000 and do the same? Hell for the $1200 I would have to pay for headers on the RX7 to get 5 hp, I could get a supercharger for a mustang and get around pull 500 hp.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Pro

When did limit this whole "sports car" deal to just a straight line? Do you get that from my post above about racing those 2 NSX's? what do you expect when you're racing random people on the highway? The roads arent the best and i definitely wont be racing someone i duno making curves and such on public roads. And i NEVER limited the conversation just to straight line performance. It is one of the factors that should be done well by a sports car.

"Anyone can take a car and step on the accelerator in a strait line, my granda can."
Your statement meaning that ANYONE can just go to a drag strip and launch the car well and run whatever time, just like that? I used to think drag racing was boring..then i got into it more and leanred that many more factore like luanching,tractin,etc.

and NO i have never been to any type of track. I had my car only for about 3 months and its still cold around here. What does me not going to the track have to do with this anyways? Stats are stats! no matter if i have experience on tracks or not! and so what if you have been in cars with superchargers and such? I got freinds with cars anywhere from 90hp to 700hp. and i am not bragging either.

"um..no.. you have never been in an NSX on a track like PIR... It completely dominates RX-7's and Supras."

you make it seem like thats a FACT. A NSX can win or a RX7 can win. i really think winning depends on the driver.

I never intedned to make my supra a race car. Either for the drag strip or track. it is my daily car and i want it streetable. Supra isnt a drag car ..it is a GT car but it does fairly well at drag racing too. and i never said im making my supra a drag car either. just click the links, you can see for yourself that the 7/supra beats the nsx in g's braking and such..oh yea it loses in top speed but you can alway remove the computer.=)

plus the supra was made in 93.5 and its specs are still "top notch" till today..what cars do you see pull 1gs and all that? zo6 new porsches..if you compare the cars back in those days...supra still beat them in areas of breaking and etc.

with less then 2k people get ne where from 400rwhp-420rwhp on the average.

Originally posted by y2ks2k

The fact that you are limiting your thought to strait line performance is interesting, what’s truly "sports car" like about going in a strait line? Have you ever been on a track... by that I mean not a drag strip but a TRACK? Anyone can take a car and step on the accelerator in a strait line, my grandma can. I have been in cars from 2001 M5's to Comptec prepped NSX's on the track that make you want to throw up. I have personally spanked many cars on the track and been spanked by many cars. The NSX and S2000 are NOT drag cars THANK GOD! They are purely lightweight completely balanced performance cars that are in top of their leagues on the track in stock form.

And in the second part, being that you are strait line orientated, why would you choose a $25000 supped up Supra or an RX7 to do this when you can put together an America V8 car like a Mustang for like $5,000 and do the same? Hell for the $1200 I would have to pay for headers on the RX7 to get 5 hp, I could get a supercharger for a mustang and get around pull 500 hp.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:17 PM
Pro

i dont think the NSX was dominating on this track........>

Quick Reply: Why is Honda so damn stupid!!!