Where people install xm antenna??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where people install xm antenna??

Im trying to install sirius radio into my 99 tl. Im just wondering where people put the antenna and the unit. Thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by xboarder
Im trying to install sirius radio into my 99 tl. Im just wondering where people put the antenna and the unit. Thanks
First of all, XM and Sirius, although both satelite radioe, are NOT the same thing. Most people, though, have been putting the atenna on the back edge of the roof, right above the rear window. As far as the unit, I'm not sure.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:40 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
the antenna must be outside, so yes, the best place is on the rear on roof's edge.

I hope you are getting a new stereo that is XM ready, if thats the case you will need a tuner and a compatible adapter.

If you are keeping the stock, just get a nice mount going on side of the stock HU.

Enjoy with whatever you go with.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Haven't gotten to it yet, but I am taking an XM antenna from an 04 TL, gutting the insides and popping my Delphi antenna in it. Yes it will require drilling a hole in the roof, but I think it's gonna look very clean.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

If i put it on the roof, how do i get the antenna cable run down the rear window. There does not seem to be a space to hide the cable. I know on other cars you can tuck it under the rubber seal on the rear window.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by teknoking
the antenna must be outside, so yes, the best place is on the rear on roof's edge.

I hope you are getting a new stereo that is XM ready, if thats the case you will need a tuner and a compatible adapter.

If you are keeping the stock, just get a nice mount going on side of the stock HU.

Enjoy with whatever you go with.

That is not true. I have my XM antenna mounted on a small piece sheet metal that sits right next to my 3rd brake light on the rear deck INSIDE my car with window tint!. The only time I lose signal is when I am parked under a bridge for an extended period of time, but otherwise, I never lose signal. I didn't want an antenna on the outside of my car.

Basically, I went to Home Depot, got like a 2in by 2in piece of scrap sheet metal, folded down the corners to create little feet, and the antenna's magnet sticks to that. The little feet keep the antenna from sliding around on turns. Sits perfect and out of sight.

On my Accord, I have the antenna on the trunk, centerened in front of the third brakelight, but only because I don't have another metal piece to keep it in place on the inside.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Race Director

I never lose my XM signal while is mounted on the roof, plus if you are an audophile, and you like to get what you paid for, digital music, then outside is your best source.

I had my XM for about a month..I got rid of it..its pointless...maybe later on with better channels I would be a customer again.

And, My install was done without any roof-drilling.

peace.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by teknoking
I never lose my XM signal while is mounted on the roof, plus if you are an audophile, and you like to get what you paid for, digital music, then outside is your best source.

I had my XM for about a month..I got rid of it..its pointless...maybe later on with better channels I would be a customer again.

And, My install was done without any roof-drilling.

peace.
As far as sound quality, there is no difference from the antenna being on the inside or outside of the car. I thought of that being an issue so I tested it several times..no difference. I'm assuming that is what you mean by being an audiophile listening to digital music.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Race Director

No, I can explain to you the data loss during bad weather, but that will take time away from my work
(I have Masters in Computer Science, so I do know what Im talking about)

There are many downsides when foreign objects tend to intercept\weaken a signal: one is called Fading: the reduction in signal intensity of one or several of the components of a radio signal, typically caused by the reflective or refractive effects of multi-path. This reminds me of my boring classes back in the day. Well instead of analog, digital feed is stronger because of 'repeaters', so again, it will work. Enough..sorry!

IT WILL WORK! IT DOES WORK! YES! I did say though, that outside is the best source.
Come out to remote areas, like I do when I go camping and stuff, or in bad weather, it will/can be crap.

Would you keep your satellite dish on the inside of the house? No right?

Im also wondering are you still a Lakers fan??
Old 10-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Race Director

i just re-read my post, I came out sounding like a smartass, which was not my intention at all.

I never really seen Sirrus Stations, I hear they have better sports broadcasting, can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Ackniculous One

Yeah, I was hurt by your comments deeply. I hear you on the signal issue. Perhaps I am getting deaf because I cannot tell any difference what so ever. Plus, the Acura Bose system doesn't seem to like the foreign audio signal coming from my blitzsafe. My XM in my Accord sounds way better with my Alpine deck and Infinity Speakers using my Acura's Delphi receiver with a M-Bus adapter.

Anyway, back to the antenna. I like mine in the car..end of story.

The Lakers, I've been a fan since I could dribble. Not spitting, but actually bouncing a ball

The Shaq trade was a huge blow, but they'll be ok. I gotta root for Shaq too now, he's my favorite player.

Ok, getting off topic here. Try your antenna in numerous places for your best setup. I personally didn't want another antenna on my roof with my onstar antenna sticking up there. XM has a new small micro antenna that is really, really small. You could probably install that right on the corner of the trunk and run the cable through the opening in the rear seat, down the door sills, behind the radio or to the armrest and your done. I saw a car like that the other day. To the satellite radio untrained eye, nobody would ever notice it. Plus, I hear with roof installs, if the weatherstripping is not replaced just right, leaks..leaks..leaks.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Instructor

i have int on my 99 tl and i just mounted it below my my third brake light on thetrunk. it works fine and stays put.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xboarder
If i put it on the roof, how do i get the antenna cable run down the rear window. There does not seem to be a space to hide the cable. I know on other cars you can tuck it under the rubber seal on the rear window.
sup dude, you know where i'm seeing most of those XM antennas mounted? right where our OnStar/NAV antennas are on the 03 TLs....or the 04 TLs......on the back end/edge of the roof right in the middle of the rear window.....and it's got like a rubber guide that the wire goes through.....dunno if you've even seen in a building or school, they'll have an outlet of some kind with moldings leading up into the ceiling.....kinda like that, ya know what i mean? and it's looks clean too. what do you think?.....also, when i see them on the trunk, it always looks like (and reminds me of) a broken CB radio antenna base.....i think it looks ugly on the trunk cuz people assume it's something like that.....if it's on da roof, it'll look more like, GPS, XM, navigation, OnStar ant, something good.......-shawn
Old 10-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

I know what type of molding you are talking about. I use to run cat 5 wire through it. I didnt know they were using it on cars now. I will have to look. Im trying to think of the best place to mount my unit, it is sirius so its a little bigger then the xm units. Where have other people with sirius put theirs?