what would u do

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 11:19 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would u do

i was drivin down the freeway.. and a small rock flies up to my windshield and puts a small crack on it.... i just past the 15k miles.. should i take it to the dealer to fix or claim insurance or just leave it?

its on the drivers side right on top of the left most part of the steering wheel.. i put clear tape over it so it wouldn't spread.. the crack is a bout the size of a dime.. is it worth fixing?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: what would u do

Originally posted by lilb612
i was drivin down the freeway.. and a small rock flies up to my windshield and puts a small crack on it.... i just past the 15k miles.. should i take it to the dealer to fix or claim insurance or just leave it?

its on the drivers side right on top of the left most part of the steering wheel.. i put clear tape over it so it wouldn't spread.. the crack is a bout the size of a dime.. is it worth fixing?
What year is your TL? Well..either way, you could try to get it replaced under warranty but I doubt any dealer would do that without some negotiating. I would fix it asap..especially if you live in cold climates. Hope this helped..god luck!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Racer

I don't believe the windshield would be included in warranty work...
Old 01-22-2004, 12:16 AM
MRI_Guru

Unhappy

Honestly, I think you should just pay for it out-of-pocket. If you file a claim for something that size, you will (most-likely) regret it. I don't know what your deductable is, but here in D.C./Maryland/Virginia it only costs $80 to $100 dollars to have something of that size fixed, plus you should receive a warranty for the fix by the installer.

I went through 3 windshileds on my Z3 during a one year time span. I use to travel to a lot of MRI conventions out west and up north, and it would never fail for me to come in contact with a rock, or two, or three.... Just find the most reputable company in your area.

I know that BMW wanted more than $100 dollars above the quoted price from the company I ended up using. Sorry to hear though that you have to get something so small yet important fixed ASAP. Like *ill tl *said, if you live in an area that has below freezing temperatures (right now), you will need to have this fixed soon.

With the first two that were fixed, a total replacement wasn't needed. They used their vaccume seal/poxy to fill in the crack(s). They ask you to not wash or clean the windshield for a 24-48 hr period; to make sure that the poxy has had the proper time to dry and seal.

The rule of thumb is if the damage is bigger than a quarter, than you have to get a windshield replacement . Smaller than a quarter, you can opt. to have it done per the way I mentioned earlier. You will still have a minor blemish of sorts on your windshiled, but it will look more like a white mark on the windshield. And if it is warranted through the company, which it should be, any further progression of the crack after it has been fixed, will be taken care of by the company you used.

Whether that means a new windshield or just another treatment, who knows? But as more and more of us TL members deal with warranted problems, we have all realized how nice a fully warranted service is to us and to our wallets!

Sorry for the long reply, but I happen to be a S.M.E (Subject Matter Expert)! Good Luck!

Sergeant C.J.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:48 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should just pay out of your pocket if the dealer doesn't cover it
Old 01-22-2004, 05:30 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to your insurance... I did it in the exactly same situation and got windshield replaced by OEM part in Acura dealership (there was a thread about it not long ago).