What happens when...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens when...

Hi guys, I'm gonna be getting the Valentine1, but just wondering, what would happen if a cop pulls you over and sees that you have one of those things?
Old 04-22-2002, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you live in Canada, Virginia or Washington D.C. (which you don't), nothing much. Detectors are illegal in those areas.

It might reduce your chances of talking your way out of it.

Reminds me of a funny story. About ten years ago my ex-wife get's pulled over by a cop. While she's talking to the cop, she says "I didn't even see you". The cop points to the radar detector, which was mounted right in the middle of the windshield, is lit up like a Christmas tree and is screaming bloody murder, and says, "is that what you have that thing for?".

She got the ticket.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Racer

Originally posted by goaub
Reminds me of a funny story. About ten years ago my ex-wife get's pulled over by a cop. While she's talking to the cop, she says "I didn't even see you". The cop points to the radar detector, which was mounted right in the middle of the windshield, is lit up like a Christmas tree and is screaming bloody murder, and says, "is that what you have that thing for?".

She got the ticket.
Oh man that must have been embarrasing for her
Old 04-22-2002, 07:25 PM
Racer

Nothing will happen to you.Texas has no laws against radar detectors..But if you have a V1 on your dash, the chances of you getting pulled over are slim to none anyway.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u can have it in alberta...
Old 04-23-2002, 02:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

is the valentine one reallly that goood ??
Old 04-23-2002, 06:27 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
uh yeah its that good, I have had one since they first came out, its been upgraded twice, and I can always sniff out the cheap radar detectors, since they always bleed a little radar.

Make no mistake, C&D has always rated it the best, and any of my friends who have borrowed it has always said that it was far more snesitive than theirs. BTW, the logic modes work well.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Don't get too confident that a radar detector will keep you from being pulled over. If a cop sees you speeding visually and wants to get you on radar he easily can. The only thing your V1 will tell you is you just got busted.

Your number one defense against getting pulled over is “Don’t stand out”, and pay attention to those oncoming cars and cars on the side of the road. Radar detectors only help against lazy cops, and cops clocking others around you.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DMan
Don't get too confident that a radar detector will keep you from being pulled over. If a cop sees you speeding visually and wants to get you on radar he easily can. The only thing your V1 will tell you is you just got busted.

Your number one defense against getting pulled over is “Don’t stand out”, and pay attention to those oncoming cars and cars on the side of the road. Radar detectors only help against lazy cops, and cops clocking others around you.
Excellent advice. I've always had Passport radar detectors, most recently the 8500, and the best advice is what Dman said.

If you're the only one speeding at 12am on a lonely road, no radar detector will save you with the instant on. If I'm speeding, I always make sure someone is up ahead so I can catch the instant on before I get there.

That said, my Passport 8500 has truly impressed me. A couple of weeks ago, I caught a cop over a mile away on the other side of a hill!
Old 04-23-2002, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Having radar will lessen your talk-away chances, but if you got a tinted, lowered TL with 18"rims and rumbling exhaust... you're getting a ticket no matter what.

But besides radar, there's other good old traps like clocking and lurking in the slow lane. I usually get beyond the horizon radar warning on my BEL but laser was way too late. He would've got me if I wan't in the pack.