What exactly does VSA do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly does VSA do?

like the title says? like traction control on the Accords are TCS (traction control system) give u traction in the rain and stuff....does VSA do a lot more? like help u from bustin 360's or what?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by armanixsouljah
like the title says? like traction control on the Accords are TCS (traction control system) give u traction in the rain and stuff....does VSA do a lot more? like help u from bustin 360's or what?

You don't have a manual? BTW you just described it.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:12 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hav a '99 and there is only TCS not the VSA.

I think the VSA is Viechle Stability Assistance anf the TCS is Traction Control System, I don't know the exact difference between the two, and I'm pretty sure it's not explained in the manual for either the '99 or the newer TL's.

I think the traction control TCS will hold back power from a slipping tire to allow the power to focus on the gripping tire. Have been told that it will prevent slipping/spinning tires off the line, also slower off the line times bercause it holds back power to the slipping tire. Most take it off when racing or trying to take off from stopped.

Any one want to either correct me or explain the VSA, I'm not sure of the diff.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I hav a '99 and there is only TCS not the VSA.

I think the VSA is Viechle Stability Assistance anf the TCS is Traction Control System, I don't know the exact difference between the two, and I'm pretty sure it's not explained in the manual for either the '99 or the newer TL's.

I think the traction control TCS will hold back power from a slipping tire to allow the power to focus on the gripping tire. Have been told that it will prevent slipping/spinning tires off the line, also slower off the line times bercause it holds back power to the slipping tire. Most take it off when racing or trying to take off from stopped.

Any one want to either correct me or explain the VSA, I'm not sure of the diff.
VSA also help with lateral slippage. That means that if you take a really sharp turn in the snow, and the system detects that you may lose control, it will distribute the power evenly to help keep you on path with the turn. I find that for turns and stuff in the snow, it definitely helps, but it's crap when you're trying to launch the car.

TCS only helps with wheel slipping.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:26 AM
2003 SSM TLS

VSA is Viechle Stability Assistance, or in general terms, yaw control/prevention. The system detects speed, engine rpm, and the angle of yaw of the car. If it detects too high if a yaw rate (ie when the back end begins to snap around when you loose it in a turn) the system will cut power and use braking to bring the vehicle back into a stable state. You have to be really out of shape to activate the yaw levels. I wouldn't attempt to test this option unless you have a large open parking lot to play with.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 69ssrscam
VSA is Viechle Stability Assistance, or in general terms, yaw control/prevention. The system detects speed, engine rpm, and the angle of yaw of the car. If it detects too high if a yaw rate (ie when the back end begins to snap around when you loose it in a turn) the system will cut power and use braking to bring the vehicle back into a stable state. You have to be really out of shape to activate the yaw levels. I wouldn't attempt to test this option unless you have a large open parking lot to play with.
what is yaw???
Old 05-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sc354
what is yaw???
Something that is associated with 3D flight and not really the 2D movement of a car.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

From what I understand about yaw, if you looked at the car from an aerial view and put a pin through the center of the car, the yaw would be the rotating action of the car based on that pin.

As far as the VSA, I've felt it kick in a few times. One time at hwy speeds, the car began started to hydroplain through a slight right hand turn. It did this for a split second and then I saw something blink on the dash and felt the car kind of take control of itself and ride itselft out of the hydroplane.
Second time I felt it, I was coming off an overpass (in sleet/snow) and the car started to fishtail, again something blinked on the dash and the car took over and helped me steer out of it.
.....yes, I'm riding the stock tires.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Need a WHAmbulance

Originally Posted by hzm82
Something that is associated with 3D flight and not really the 2D movement of a car.
That isn't true.

Yaw is when your visible direction is different from your actual movement direction i.e. when you are going sideways down the road.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Fallen

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
From what I understand about yaw, if you looked at the car from an aerial view and put a pin through the center of the car, the yaw would be the rotating action of the car based on that pin.

As far as the VSA, I've felt it kick in a few times. One time at hwy speeds, the car began started to hydroplain through a slight right hand turn. It did this for a split second and then I saw something blink on the dash and felt the car kind of take control of itself and ride itselft out of the hydroplane.
Second time I felt it, I was coming off an overpass (in sleet/snow) and the car started to fishtail, again something blinked on the dash and the car took over and helped me steer out of it.
Original Equipment Michellin Tires suck ass :thefinger lol

And the blinking light must be a triangle shaped yellow light which blinks whenever VSA activates.... Ive seen it many time since im a northerner...
Old 05-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS

Correct. An example of yaw, in the car world, would be like a car spinning on ice as it traveled in a constant direction. (Also, when you see those typical nascar/racecar wrecks on tv where some guy hits some oil or something, and his car spins as it’s follows the direction of it’s momentum into a wall.)
Old 05-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Drifting

last december in the snow, i could not get up our hill until i took the vsa off. i got absolutley no where with it on. When i took it off i was barley able to get up there. just my 2 cents
Old 05-13-2004, 02:29 PM
2003 SSM TLS

Some of you may have discovered this as well. I've noticed that when I top a hill on a back road near my house at about 110+ that the VSA (traction control portion) actually kicks in when you get slightly airbone with the front end. I guess it doesn't matter if you lose traction on ice/snow or in the air for a second (as in my case). It's amazing how fast the system can kick on in the air to keep from over revving and back off again once you land.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

damn i wanna VSA....
my bro's got 350Z...his car does have VSA this funcation..
this save his ass lot of times...
by da way i got 2002TL@@
Old 05-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Instructor

I believe the VSA is only available to TLS models - TLPremium models just have the TCS function.. is this right??
Old 05-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Straight out of the '03 TL-S brochure..

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)

TL Type-S models are equipped with this higly advanced system. Using information from yaw, lateral-g, road-speed and steering sensors, the VSA computer compares the driver's intended course with how the car is responding on the road. In the even it detects the beginnings of understeer or oversteer, it can automatically apply brake pressure to the appropriate front wheel and/or reduce throttle to help bring the vehicle back onto its intended path. VSA incorporates the benefits of the Traction Control System (TCS).
Old 05-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
From hondanews.com's archives (http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3014?m...asc&archives=t)

TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM (TCS)
To enhance traction while increasing all-weather usability, the TL features a standard Traction Control System (TCS). Operating at vehicle speeds below 18 miles per hour, the system can apply one or both front brakes as necessary to control wheel spin. Because the system provides independent drive-wheel control, it also greatly enhances performance when accelerating on split-traction surfaces.

VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST (VSA) SYSTEM
For enhanced driver control during hard cornering and accident-avoidance maneuvers, the TL Type-S is equipped with a standard Acura Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system similar to the system first unveiled in the 2000 model year on the 3.5 RL flagship sedan.

Integrating TCS, ABS, and stability enhancement processes, the VSA system constantly monitors eight vehicle sensors that compare the driver's control inputs with the vehicle's actual response. If the actual response falls outside a calculated response range - i.e., the vehicle is beginning to understeer severely - VSA automatically attempts to intervene with corrective action. In the case of understeer (where the vehicle continues in a straight line rather than turning), VSA applies braking to the inside front wheel and reduces engine power - helping to bring the car back onto the driver's intended line. In the event of oversteer (which can lead to a spin), VSA applies braking to the outside front wheel to counter the unintended yawing tendency.

Because driver control is so crucial to the enjoyment of a fine sporting automobile, the Acura VSA system has been carefully designed to add stability and handling poise without negating the car's dynamic responsiveness.

An indicator light on the instrument panel alerts the driver whenever the VSA system is actively enhancing the vehicle's stability. VSA can be disabled using a cockpit switch. The standard ABS system remains fully functional.
Just gotta do a little looking and you'll find it

The reason you may have difficulty moving in snow or low traction situations with TCS or VSA on is because as you lose traction TCS will automatically apply the brakes to the front wheels ... Which effectively prevents you from moving. In these situations turning TCS or VSA off would enable you to try to get some traction and at least move a bit ... But thats why you have the ability to turn it off.

BTW- Interestingly enough, the VSA piece says it only works on the front wheels, but on the same page where they describe the ABS system, it says the VSA system will work on the rear wheels as well...

ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)
The ABS system in the 3.2 TL is a three-channel design that modulates braking power to the front wheels independently and to the rear wheels in tandem - enhancing driver control during maximum-effort stops on slippery road surfaces.

The TL Type-S is fitted with a special four-channel ABS system that works in conjunction with the car's standard Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system. When braking in a straight line, the TL Type-S ABS system functions in the same three-channel mode as the 3.2 TL's. When the Type-S system senses high cornering forces, however, it automatically switches to a four-channel mode - allowing the ABS system to exploit the weight transfer to the outside of the vehicle in a turn and apply higher brake pressure to the outer rear wheel for enhanced braking performance and directional stability.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Cool

Originally Posted by Dare_IL
That isn't true.

Yaw is when your visible direction is different from your actual movement direction i.e. when you are going sideways down the road.
3D movements of flight:

Pitch- attitude movement of the aircraft (nose up/ nose down)

Yaw- sideways movement of the aircraft (pedal left/ pedal right)

Roll- Rotational movement of the aircraft (Aileron left/ Aileron right)

Axis is midpoint of the craft at balance.

Yeah, I guess going out of control with the tail end of the car going ahead of the front can be considered Yaw. But it's still associated with 3d flight, 'coz pitch doesn't apply (unless you get airborne from a hill).
Old 05-14-2004, 11:12 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
VSA only works when the car understeers or oversteers. It won't work when the car is doing a 4-wheel slide. I tried.