What do you think about a bigger/oversize oil filter for our car??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Question What do you think about a bigger/oversize oil filter for our car??

Just wondering if anyjone found a filter that is bigger than the OEM one and fits ok. Reading up on some sites(a prelude one), The Mobil 1 M104 is what is recommended on many Hondas, but the gusy on that site found that the M105 fit fine on their car which has a much bigger canister and therefore more filter media with no ill effects.

I just changed the oil the other week on my car and used a Purolator Pure One and the Recommended size is just soo small. Besides poor fitment and having to add more oil to the car what are any other possible downsides??? Road Rage?

Also are the center threads a universal size? Is there anything else I need to check other than the width of the filter? Given the way our filter is mounted, there is room for a longer canister, and I figure the bigger the better. Thanx in advance for any info you can provide on this, I look forward to some good info.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reguarding your post Mr. Hyde...it is true that the bigger the better but....the reason why honda uses such small filters is because of the clean and efficient burn process that is in their engines....less carbon developes and a more complete burn helps each cylinder reach self cleaning levels faster and better.....therefore the true need of a bigger filter isnt really needed...but with a bigger filter you can be sure that it will last much longer and provide a lil bit better flow...but other than than no real effects will be notice....as long as you maintain you car you should have no problem with the recommended size...plus with the bigger filter....the o-ring is a lil bigger and if you look at our cars.....there is only so much space provided that is flat and milled to a zero....by enlarging your filter the o-ring will have less of a "snug seal" and while the heating of the oil gets hotter...you can be sure that the metal might expand....perhaps in an extreme case can lead to a leakage of oil around the filter...leaving you with one dirty engine and a lot of smoke.....if you are really concerned about good oil flow just change your filter more frequently....hope that helps.....
Old 10-31-2001, 04:30 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Mr. Hyde:

I think I posted on this but you deserve extra attention for all the good you do on this site:

1) The 24458 in my signature is slightly longer than stock, but other dimensions are stock - it has a pretty strong case and the filter media is very good. It maintains adequate flow at hi-rpm.
2) The design of the bypass is important - it must open at the same pressure as stock. The 24458 Pure One does, and also, it eyeballs as having a similar design structure as the Honda, which can affect oil pressure linearity across the range
3) I do not know of any downside. The extra media will resist fracture better by having more holding capacity, being able to dissipate oil surges over a larger area and therefore reducing mechanical fracture from loading or edge deflection, and the extra little bit of oil (maybe 1/4 quart) cannot hurt. Also, I find that the car takes 5 quarts, so it makes fills easier without checking the dip over and over. Actually this car can be overfilled a bit with no problems of foaming.

So the Pure One is good for extended drains using synoil, which is what I do. Media fracture is an issue as Consumers aUnion found in its tests many years ago, esp. if you extend drains because a fracture is a full time bypass.

BTW, one of these days I will post about how the industry mis-specs oil capacity to make $$. if anyone is interested...
Old 10-31-2001, 04:41 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just the answer I was looking for. Now to find where I could get this Purolator 24458 filter.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Road Rage

BTW, one of these days I will post about how the industry mis-specs oil capacity to make $$. if anyone is interested...

Ohhh yes I sure am interested!!

Ok, now on my next change I'll get the "Pure Oil Later" One instead of the OEM filter.

Thanks again Rage!
Old 10-31-2001, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Thanx for the info Road Rage; so the 24458 is a good fit; perfect. I didnt think there were any downsides other than adding more oil(which I consider a plus). I used the PureOne at my last change, and the listed size is actually a little smaller than the OEM one. I like the filter and think its a great value to boot, my only problem was its size. I go 5k+ between changes using Mobil 1, so I wanted a slightly bigger filter. Anyone know or use any other sizes that fit from a Good Filter like M1, PureOne's etc?? ??

P.S. RoadRage Id be interested in that post as well.