Well Guys I think ACRUAs finally got it

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Guys I think ACRUAs finally got it

So I had the tranny problem and took my car in yesterday. And I got it back today. I asked them how did they get it done so quick? They told me they had just got a huge shipment in for the recall and I got one of the new ones!!! He said when the do the recall for the TL I will be exempt from it. I can feel the difference and its great the new tranny is so smooth and feel bulit proof. Luckly I only had the malibu for a day
Old 04-22-2004, 06:17 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lacs21
So I had the tranny problem and took my car in yesterday. And I got it back today. I asked them how did they get it done so quick? They told me they had just got a huge shipment in for the recall and I got one of the new ones!!! He said when the do the recall for the TL I will be exempt from it. I can feel the difference and its great the new tranny is so smooth and feel bulit proof. Luckly I only had the malibu for a day

i don't think i am up to speed here. they decided to make it a recall now? that is awesome if it's so.

SSTS
Old 04-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Huh? The current recall doesn't cover the TL. They have been replacing these trannies now for 2 years, so they should have warehouses full of them. You better check to make sure they did change it though. It's supposed to take a minimum of 8 hours per the labor details on the invoice I got back when mine was changed out.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:58 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES YES YES I TOLD YOU!!!!!
the trannies on the MDX, the Oddessy, and the Pilot are the4 same as the ones on the TL and CL from 99 to 03. There is a different powersystem (engine) but the trannie is the same. Beacuse of the recall on the first 3 modles. It is almost gaurenteed to recall the TL and CL for the trannie. They obviously will do the newest viechles the Pilot and MDX before they do the older ones that they have been temp fixing for three years now.

My friend bought a MDX last couple of week and was called two days later to bring in the MDX for a trannie replacement.

I figured we would be after the first wave of recalled trannies. And for the member that posted that "the dealer enjoys getting warranty work because it keeps them working steady" (was in another thread) The dealer likes steady work yes, and warranty work will do that yes, BUT and a big one, if you have 70 people per day bringing in their car/SUV because they think the trannie is going to fall out or sieze up, the dealer will not be able to handle any regular serivce work.

I'm sure that Acura has worked out most of the bugs, each dealership will probably limit thermselfs to a certian ammount of trannie replacements per month, to keep up regual service. I'm sure thay will bend over backwards to get all the trannies in ASAP, but let's be realistic, we will all be first in line the day the recall comes to us.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Advanced

Question.... I just bought my TL with 43000 miles on it from the owner.... Am I gonna be eligible for a recall and if so what's the process and how do I know if the tranny on mine has'nt been fixed already. thanks.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya for the recall, the DMV or Acura will contact all of the owners of the cars via the registration billing adress. you had to submit the VIN number when you register the car and when you pay insurance. that's how they will contact the owners of the cars. they will not call the origional owners of the cars, they will call every person who submits the VIN number that qualifies for the recall. Don't worry.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:32 AM
Rock Star

Kool!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Yes I dont think the recall is offical on the TL or CL but my service guy told me it was one of the trannis that was going into the MDXs and he said the acura rep said they finally fixed the problem with the new trannies. Well thats what they say I have no way to confirm it. All I can say is that it shifts smoother and feels more solid than the previous trans. It also dosent make that huge clicking noise when going from park d-5 or vice versa. I'm still going to fire off a complaint letter to Acura Headquarters and Traffic Safty.

Hope this is the end.
Lacs21
Old 04-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

They let you use a Malibu to get you acquainted to lower quality. So next time you do get another tranny problem, or squeaks and rattles, you wouldn't notice it so much.... Just hope they don't actually treat you like a Chevy customer.......
Old 04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
YES YES YES I TOLD YOU!!!!!
the trannies on the MDX, the Oddessy, and the Pilot are the4 same as the ones on the TL and CL from 99 to 03. There is a different powersystem (engine) but the trannie is the same. Beacuse of the recall on the first 3 modles. It is almost gaurenteed to recall the TL and CL for the trannie. They obviously will do the newest viechles the Pilot and MDX before they do the older ones that they have been temp fixing for three years now.

My friend bought a MDX last couple of week and was called two days later to bring in the MDX for a trannie replacement.
They all use different gearings, so if the dealership put in an MDX transmission in this guy's TL, then that's just not right. They don't know how the PCM will react to the different gearing ratios. That's just totally irresponsible on their on part.

The transmission recall merely requires a visual inspection of the 2nd gear clutch pack and the fluidity of the ATF into that clutch pack. There have been 10 confirmed cases where they discovered severe abuse due to ATF not being delivered to the 2nd gear clutch pack. Therefore, what the dealerships will do is perform a visual inspection, and if necessary, modify the ATF deliver channel to the 2nd gear clutch pack. That's it. It does not require a replacement, unless they find teeth chopped off the gears.

Also, they haven't even started mailing the owners yet. And why would a dealership allocate an MDX-bound transmission into a TL? They probably would get penalized by the Acura corporate for mis-utilizing their resources.

I think Lacs got conned. Although I don't have an explanation for his transmission now feeling bullet-proof, there's just something wrong with that story. Our cars have a problem with the 3rd gear clutch pack, and the MDX/Odyssey/Pilot recall is about the 2nd gear clutch pack and ATF delivery. Two different problems.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Awesome!!! How is the 1-2 full throttle upshift? That's the shift I can't stand. Everything else (on my 3rd now) seems pretty rock solid, but for a $32K car to snap your neck on any shift is rediculous... it takes me back to the days of Honda 4 cylinders and automatic transmissions.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:54 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have yet to hear of a TL tranny recall.... Are we in the south just kept out of the damn loop?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by indoMFP
I have yet to hear of a TL tranny recall.... Are we in the south just kept out of the damn loop?

No such thing. Just a TSB.....
Old 04-23-2004, 01:49 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by indoMFP
Nope, no recall on our cars, unfortunately. Quite disappointing.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:23 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vicman17
They let you use a Malibu to get you acquainted to lower quality. So next time you do get another tranny problem, or squeaks and rattles, you wouldn't notice it so much.... Just hope they don't actually treat you like a Chevy customer.......
hahahahaha!! classic! :toothless

seriously though, i didn't want to say anything at first but there's no way an MDX tranny could go in a TL (without some hardcore modification). 4 wheel drive trannies are different animals alltogether. i dont think the guy *lied* to you, but he might have not explained himself properly.

i agree it's only a matter of time until something is done about the transmissions. but since the pattern is so random, i think it would tough to decide which population of VINs to recall. a redesign would be nice though. then i wouldn't have to worry about a S/C or anything. it is a little disappointing though that the MDXs got recalled first.....

SSTS
Old 04-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
They all use different gearings, so if the dealership put in an MDX transmission in this guy's TL, then that's just not right. They don't know how the PCM will react to the different gearing ratios. That's just totally irresponsible on their on part.

The transmission recall merely requires a visual inspection of the 2nd gear clutch pack and the fluidity of the ATF into that clutch pack. There have been 10 confirmed cases where they discovered severe abuse due to ATF not being delivered to the 2nd gear clutch pack. Therefore, what the dealerships will do is perform a visual inspection, and if necessary, modify the ATF deliver channel to the 2nd gear clutch pack. That's it. It does not require a replacement, unless they find teeth chopped off the gears.

Also, they haven't even started mailing the owners yet. And why would a dealership allocate an MDX-bound transmission into a TL? They probably would get penalized by the Acura corporate for mis-utilizing their resources.

I think Lacs got conned. Although I don't have an explanation for his transmission now feeling bullet-proof, there's just something wrong with that story. Our cars have a problem with the 3rd gear clutch pack, and the MDX/Odyssey/Pilot recall is about the 2nd gear clutch pack and ATF delivery. Two different problems.
The TL tranny problem also has to do with ATF delivery.

I don't doubt that this person was told something wrong and he actually got a new TL tranny and not an MDX tranny, but I do think that the problems on the MDX tranny are probably similar to the TL tranny problem.

Also, the TL trannies are not allowed to be opened by the dealership I was told, so no inspection is allowed on them (at least this is what they were originally told when this problem started)... Dunno if thats still the case, but it sounds like the MDX trannies are allowed to be opened by the dealership.

Read up if you'd like ..
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=104677
Old 04-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes I dont think the recall is offical on the TL or CL but my service guy told me it was one of the trannis that was going into the MDXs and he said the acura rep said they finally fixed the problem with the new trannies. Lacs21
HaHaHa! They have been saying this for 3 years now!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea right...

I will believe it when I see it in writing from acura...
Old 04-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Advanced

I cant believe that guy said it was a mdx trans. I of course believed him cause I read on this board that the mdx pilot and TL/CL had the same trans. I wonder if he ment it came with the mdx transmissions? it would make sense that the gearing ratios would be different, but could they keep the components the same? May be he said I wont be eligibale for the TL recall (if and when it comes out) cause he just doesnt want to pay for my rental ( though being in the malibu made me appreciate my TL the more). I would waite for the official letter and I have made my complaint to Acura and the transport saftey board. THough I should learn not to believe dealers (only tort lawyers are worse). He did say the Acura rep said they had fixed the porblem. Though according to other memebers they have been saying that for 3years. My impressions of my new trans is that it fells more solid than the earlier one. The old one felt a little loose on change of gears and made a loud click when i put it into park. THis one does not and the shifts are much smoother and when ur hard on the gas it shifts much faster. THe 2nd to 3rd tansition is smooth no problems yet. I am still reluctant to use the tiptronic mode.

I really hope this is the end
Take care guys
Old 04-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Skeptic...

Lacs, is it possible that they only replaced the ECU? I wouldn't believe a single word, spoken or written, from Honda/Acura or their dealers. They are well known for talking out of their ass. However, an updated ECU alone would explain the new feeling from your tranny and explain how it got done so quickly...
Unlike you, I feel the replacement tranny and ECU in my 2001 CL-S is unresponsive with slow and mushy shifts...

Tosh
Old 04-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Instructor

thats how long they took on my replacement too... acouple months ago I dropped it off on thursday and got it back on friday...kinda scared me....and like i mentioned in another thread, it doesnt shift near as smooth as it used too.