WDP OEM kit color match problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
WDP OEM kit color match problem.

I installed the kit 2 days ago... and didn't notice a color match problem until today. My wife pointed out to me that the kit's color is brighter than the body. I closely examined it and i couldn't believe it!!!! The kit was in fact bright in shade than the entire car and it was pretty noticeable.

I have a 2003 White Diamond Pearl TL-S with 1600 miles on it. I'ts brand new and the paint didn't match my car!!

so i called Tim at honda acura world.com to see what he will do about it. he told me that all genuine acura parts are covered by warranty and i should be able to take my car to any dealership to have it repainted. with that info, i called my local dealer and they told me that they will probably have it repainted to match the color of my car... somewhat of a good news.. but still messed up!!! so much trouble to get something i want...

i should've bought black or some other color if i knew this problem in advance...
Old 10-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer told me straight up that it might not match perfectly because the paint looks different on plastic vs. metal. I didn't place the order since they probably wouldn't have made any attempt to repaint for free, not that it will/would make any difference.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Is your going to do it for free ?
Old 10-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: WDP OEM kit color match problem.

Originally posted by Mongolian
I installed the kit 2 days ago... and didn't notice a color match problem until today. My wife pointed out to me that the kit's color is brighter than the body. I closely examined it and i couldn't believe it!!!! The kit was in fact bright in shade than the entire car and it was pretty noticeable.

I have a 2003 White Diamond Pearl TL-S with 1600 miles on it. I'ts brand new and the paint didn't match my car!!

so i called Tim at honda acura world.com to see what he will do about it. he told me that all genuine acura parts are covered by warranty and i should be able to take my car to any dealership to have it repainted. with that info, i called my local dealer and they told me that they will probably have it repainted to match the color of my car... somewhat of a good news.. but still messed up!!! so much trouble to get something i want...

i should've bought black or some other color if i knew this problem in advance...
I also have a WDP TL-S that was purchased about a month ago and after I got the kit put on. A couple of my friends that saw it the day I got my car back said the kit paint was also brighter than the rest of my body. It isn't too noticeable on mine, or I just have bad eyes .. in either case, at least your not paying for it right? That's what warranty is for!! hehe

P.S. Got pics?? I want to compare to mine
Old 10-02-2003, 11:37 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

WDP is pain in the @ss. What might happen was your original body color might be faded little bit by the time & the kit you got was brand new. That's why you see the difference. That's the problem with all White Pearl.

The dealer needs to re-match the color based on what you have now on your car.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Angry

I just putted my kit on this past weekend. The body, bumper and the kit.. does not match!! Its 3 different color.. Oh well.. Its WDP
Old 10-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mine matched....course its not WDP
Old 10-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Racer

i also have a problem with my car, so I have to repaint three times for it to match.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Banned

Hey Mongolian, I have a 03 WDP as well, and I installed my kit when the car was 2 weeks old, and same problem. I posted on this forum about the same problem:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...lled+not+happy

Now, the reason for the color difference is, because the body kit is plastic I think. Basically a different material then the rest of our car. My body shop guy told me this already, and also, the repainting idea is not a good idea, because they are not going t be able to do it! Its just more aggravating, cuz your car will be in the shop and every time you see it, you won't be happy cuz the match wont be perfect. Ur car, Ur call.

Best advice, learn to live with it, I mean, the only reason we notice it is because we are so particular about our cars. Honestly, in the 2 months I've owned the car now, nobody really tells me that the body kit is brighter, cuz the only time its obvious is during extreme sunlight. I mean WDP is the hardest color to match, thas all I can say!

If you do decide to go ahead with the Paint Job from your dealer, let me know how it turns out, then I will go ahead too.

Raj
Old 10-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Banned

its not because its plastic. the kit is polyurethane. just like the bumpers on the car. as long as the body kit is prepped correctly to paint and the paint is matched correctly, it will look the same. its just that wdp is such a hard color to work with.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:29 PM
The Undertaker

same exact problem over here, when i installed the kit i was very disappointed. it is most noticeable in the front. If in fact they are covered under warranty i would love to get mine repainted. I've learned to live with it like NYDesi said in the meantime. It's not the worst thing that could've happened i guess. WDP is a hard color to match, 3 stage paint or somethin to that effect. But yeah - just wanted 2 let u know you aren't the only one either- its a bunch of us.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Man... so many victims. I hate the fact that my car is two colors now... well maybe three. sides and the back are one shade of white, the body is another, and the front is the brightest shade of white...

I think the front is the most noticeable due to the fact that it is the biggest piece. I don't think i'll be repainting it. I hate going through the hassle of going back to the dealer back and forth. If the paint doesn't match even after the paint job, i'll really be pissed. I think the two tone color of my car looks as if i purposely wanted to do it in two shades.

The car does look MUCH better with the kit... only if everything matched perfectly.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Banned

Yeah, I have the same issue. Everyone does with A WDP. My kit wasn't way off but it is a little brighter then the rest of the car. No one else notices it though. That's the price you pay with a WDP. The paint is just too hard to match. No Biggie to me though. The car looks so much better. Hopefully over time the kit will fade to the clor of the car.

If anyone decided to ge it repainted by the dealer. Let me know and I may consider it.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Instructor

White pearl colors are the toughest to match. When looking closely at most light colored pearl cars out there you will notice that anything not metal (trim, bumpers, gas door) will be a noticeably different color. Its pretty tricky to match it with a panel to panel paint job, pearl coats need to be blended with adjacent panels to match properly. A good body shop may be able to cheat the color and repaint the parts to get it closer, but it still will be slightly different. Ask the shop if they do a alot of white pearls before you trust them with it.

Mark
Old 10-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Still sluggin' it out

I thought I was the only 1 out here!!! My taffeta white is a shade or 2 off, too...

Thank god others feel my pain
Old 10-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Love my 99
I thought I was the only 1 out here!!! My taffeta white is a shade or 2 off, too...

Thank god others feel my pain
How old was the car when the kit was installed?
Old 10-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Advanced

I got my in 04/03.. but got the kit in 09/03 ... Can't be off that bad!! My is garage kept all the time.. like fellow memebers mentioned: WDP is very hard to match!