Waxing Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Fallen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing Suggestions please

Hi, Im a new driver and TL is my first car...

I bought it around a year ago, i never waxed since the time I got it..

I know it is real bad to the car but... Since i am a new driver, i fear things that im not used to.

Based on the observations ive done in Acura-Tl forum, Im about to purchase Meguire's NXT Wax.
But I cannot find one in near store (Canadian Tire) All i could find was some kind of paist (Meguire's Gold Class) ,Meguire's Gold Class spray Wax.. and Meguire's colour-watever wax.. I could find maguire car-wash to waxing package which offers you a carwash, Polishing, ???, waxing..

And Since I didn wax my car over a year, after washing, all kinds of dirt sticks on my car im a minute... So If I want to wax, What should I do? Should I ignore all the dusts sticking on the paint coat and wax?

Please, Any suggestion or advice will be more than appretiated!

Thank you.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Type II Coupe

Meguires isn't a bad product to go with... Try finding NXT online... AND Check out the FAQ on A-TL cause theres already a thread on "wax" *not really wax, it polymer... *I think I spelled it right...
Old 05-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Fallen

Thank you i tried search on wax and all kinds of thread was there (Which doesn make any connection to the tipic!)

Thank you again

Ill try that keyword
Old 05-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Fallen

Thank you i tried search on wax and all kinds of thread was there (Which doesn make any connection to the tipic!)

Thank you again

Ill try that keyword
Old 05-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you've never waxed your car then I suggest shelling out some extra cash and buying either the Mothers 3-step Wax or Meguiars 3-step Wax. Both of these have a pre-wax cleaner, sealer+glaze, and carnauba wax. Good luck..
Old 05-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Sounds like the paint needs a good clay job too. If it's been neglected for a year or so, it will have some grime embedded into the paint. Check out this links from Mothers on clay. Mothers Clay bar (scroll to bottom)
Old 05-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Fallen

Thank you for good replies.

Ill try three step mcguires....

Thank you very much...

if there is any other suggestions, Please reply..

I would love to read more about waxing tips..

Thank you again

p.s - Damn! Im regretting about that fact that i haven waxed for a year! Would this have damaged my painjob???? Im so mad at myself right now
Old 05-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Fallen

And thank you for your Video clip SK2003TypeS!!! It really helped me alot! Thank you
Old 05-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Advanced

You won't find the new Meguiars NXT in Canada. I just picked up a bottle in California this week and did my '03 TL-S when I got home. Seems like a very good wax although I had put 2 coats of Mother's Carnauba on it last weekend.

Here's my suggestion - pick up a bottle of Meguiars #6 Cleaner Wax, don't worry, it is not abrasive. I use it all the time. Then, use either Mother's Carnauba or Meguiars #24 Yellow Wax. Your car will look like a million bucks!
Old 05-01-2004, 06:38 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just picked up some "Liquid Glass" it is endorced by the Corvette Club and is really hard to find. Expensive too. $37CAD for a 450 ml tin. it's a "polish/finish". Came highly reccomended by a couple of buddies I know that have +100k cars. It happen to come up in conversation but they told me I wouldn't be able to find it anywhere, you needed a membership to the club where it was sold to them.
I actually found it at Van and Truck world but the owner said it wouldn't be at every one because it is a hard to find/specalizied product. just my $0.02
Old 05-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Fallen

Cool, Infos are really helpful! Im planning to get was for my car tomorrow! of course im taking notes from your great information!

Thank you for your replies!
Old 05-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything you ever wanted to know about Detailing

http://www.autopia.org/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=11
Old 05-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
Just picked up some "Liquid Glass" it is endorced by the Corvette Club and is really hard to find. Expensive too. $37CAD for a 450 ml tin. it's a "polish/finish". Came highly reccomended by a couple of buddies I know that have +100k cars. It happen to come up in conversation but they told me I wouldn't be able to find it anywhere, you needed a membership to the club where it was sold to them.
I actually found it at Van and Truck world but the owner said it wouldn't be at every one because it is a hard to find/specalizied product. just my $0.02

I use the same product on my SSM Type-S and looks great. I've used this product for years. The trick is to wash the car down with blue Dawn detergent to strip off all the old wax, then Claybar the car then LG. It'll take you most of one day but well worth the effort. You have to apply an even coat then let it stand in the sun for about 4 hours to chemically bond to the paint. I did this then buffed it with my B&D 7" orbital polisher using a wool pad and it stood past last winter with the gloss still shining thru. I just need to re-apply it when the weather gets better to bring back the slickiness. I had a total of about 5 coats and to this day, I have noticed very little swirl marks and scratches. I went to Philly and saw it cheap at Pep Boys for about $15.00 a can, 'coz it's about $40 ( Pirana at Birchmount/ Lawrence) here in Canadia.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Fallen

Hi! I bought Meguire's Gold Class Wax , Claybar. I read the instruction and I did the little testing thing (Touch the surface) And I think It is smooth as Glass... I bout the Paint Protection Package when I bought the TL, (I think it is some king of coating or something) I think it is because of that. Im thinking not to use claybar yet (Since the surface is smooth), Carwash is done (With Black Magic carwash(??), Im drying my car for few minutes... Any oppinions will be apretiated..
Thank you
Old 05-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Be careful with these "paint appearance packages" as they may be voided if you end up waxing the car on your own, hence your money down the drain. The salesman sells you the car, then their "sales" manager gives you the ups and downs of having and not having a few hundred dollars worth of dealer installed/ applied items that you can actually do on your own.

"paint protection"= dealer applied wax/ polymer

"rust protection"= dealer/ contractor applied layer of ADDITIONAL anti-rust coating (car already comes with one off the line and Honda warranties it) THis may even override the Honda perforation warranty.

"carpet protection"= Scotchguard that can cost you just $8.99 a can if you do it yourself.

When I picked up my Type-S, I explicitly specified to the salesman that if they were gonna push any of these protection crap on me, I'll go somewhere else.

Another tip, your PDI (pre-delivery inspection) fee that is added to your agreed on price means that the dealer guarantees that the car if free from defects at the time of delivery. If you find any discrepancies before you drive off the lot (and makes sure you scrutinize the car before driving off), you can get the salesman to either take this PDI off or discount the price.

Bottom line is, don't make the dealer make more money than they have to. All these packages are just additional items you don't really need.