Warped rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Warped rotors?

Man I hope that what I experienced last night was not sign of things to come. I was driving through the city last night at a pretty good rate of speed. Then I got into a section of the city where there were miles upon miles of stoplights. I started noticing some shaking when braking( no pun intended). I have never noticed this before because when I usually slow down it's smooth as satin. I will be driving through the city tonight again and I hope this doesn't happen again. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

"Broad Street Bulley"-Beanie S.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:20 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
almost everyone's had this problem....take it into the dealer. They will either resurface the rotors, or replace them.....assuming you're still covered under warranty.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Big,

I'm at 12,400 miles and just had my rotors turned. I didn't feel the "shudder" until I reached about 12K miles. Looks like the famous Acura Brake problem strikes again!

How many miles on your baby?

V.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I have a big deep scratch on one of mine rotor, i thought it was cause by small rock and so i took it to the dealer and they said they will replace my rotor and the break pat. after they replace and test drive it, I notice the rotor has the same thing as the old one and I assume they didn't replace until i ask them for my old rotor, then I said they gonna take a look at again and they found nuttin, so they schedule mine till next week so they can swap out the caliper and see if does agin, so at this moment i'm crossing my finger, if not i'm gonna have them replace mine car with the brand new one also i only have 3k miles
Old 03-29-2002, 02:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

My 2002TL is 6 months old and I just had the rotors replaced at the dealer under warranty yesterday at 10k miles. THIS is ridiculous if you ask me and i dont know what i am going to do in the future if it happens again and they wont do the replacement under warranty again. I may just sell the car. When i bought it, it thought i was buying reliability and trouble free performance. Instead, I've had just as many rattles to deal with as any American car i've owned in the past. And with warping rotors a known defect on the TL, this really just blows. I understnad many people have had tranny problems with the car too. I may just get rid of my Acura before i have that problem also. No more Acura for me. I shoulda bought a Lexus instead.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:44 AM
Instructor

I only have 14k on my 2000 TL. I drove through the city again tonight and did not experince it as much. Still, feeling it at all is too much. Also, I do not mean to complain because I know our car is awsome, but I am starting to hear the rattles too. Especially in the back seat. It's literally driving me insane. As far as the tranny goes, I do not even use the SS much because I fear it will make the tranny blow prematurely. Am I fearing the inevitable? I hope not. But it is a shame that you spend $30k on an automobile and you do not want to use all of its features because its not as reliable as it should be!
Old 03-29-2002, 03:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BigNard
I only have 14k on my 2000 TL. I drove through the city again tonight and did not experince it as much. Still, feeling it at all is too much. Also, I do not mean to complain because I know our car is awsome, but I am starting to hear the rattles too. Especially in the back seat. It's literally driving me insane. As far as the tranny goes, I do not even use the SS much because I fear it will make the tranny blow prematurely. Am I fearing the inevitable? I hope not. But it is a shame that you spend $30k on an automobile and you do not want to use all of its features because its not as reliable as it should be!
well the warp rotor doesn't "come on" all the time. when my rotot failed, it could be very bad this min and have nothing the next... but when i took the car to the dealer it was really bad.... and it was just over 10k miles. now it's 1k more miles and i START to feel the warpped rotors coming back again. if this happens again i will go back and ask them to replace both the rotor AND the brake pads. if they don't do it i will talk to their manager or owners or whoever. it's ridiculous to have such a bad braking system when my car is only 10k miles....... my old camry had over 160k miles and believe me or not it's still on its second set of rotors....
Old 03-29-2002, 06:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by BigNard
... As far as the tranny goes, I do not even use the SS much because I fear it will make the tranny blow prematurely...
I don't baby my car at all! Figure if something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen whether or not I drive normally. And, I don't think the tranny problems are due to using SS. At least, I don't remember seeing a pattern after reading the "Dead Tranny Club" posts.

Good luck,

V.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:36 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
before I got the TL-S, I was driving the TL my mom drives now...and the rotors were warped at about 5000 miles. The dealer resurfaced all 4 and there were no problems since.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

apparently the warped rotors are a known problem for Acura. For 2002 they changed to a different pad to help the problem. The warp occurs from excessive heat buildup on braking. Once the car comes to a stop, the rotors are still gripped by the pads in one spot where the calipers are while your foot is on the the brake. as the rotor cools, it starts to bend ever so slightly (in hundreds or thousands of an inch actually, but enough to be noticed when you brake in the future) right were the pads are gripping. The warping is more noticable when you are slowing down quickly (more pressure on the pads) which is why it sometimes appears as a problem and then seems to 'go away'. Once its warped, its warped, and it doesnt actually get straight again by itself.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:01 PM
Instructor

When you guys take your car in are they fixing them right away under warranty or do you have to press them. I took mine in twice, the 1st time which was about 12,000 miles my left front tire made some scrubbing noise when I reversed but they said everything was fine and I took it again at 26,000 miles and now they hear the sound and tell me I should consider new brake pads soon. I'm not a hard braker either.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

they replaced my pads/rotors one time under a 'complimentary' replacement policy. I got a strong sense they wont do it again in another 10k miles when they warp again. They told me the warping is a very common problem with the TL, which only angered me more. Because they know its a problem, and they have no cure for it (after all the car has been out since 1999 and they still never came out with a fix by the time of my 2002) they are basically saying tough luck guy, every 10k miles you will have to get new rotors... Pathetic warranty policy if you ask me. And it doesnt say much for the Acura brand name.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Took mine in for the 30k stuff today and they had to turn the rotors (2nd time) and they also replaced the pads. I assume the pads they use this time aren't the same and may prolong the life of the rotors this time ??? !!!
Old 03-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

dont bet on it Aggie, my car is a 2002 and came with the 'newer' pad design to begin with. I asked the service department at the dealer whether he thought cross drilled rotors would be better to put on and he didnt think so, but i am going to look seriously at that for a solution if the OEM rotors warp again, even if it costs me alot more money. In the long run, i dont expect to keep replacing rotors every 10k miles. All my other cars have all gone 50k-70k before needing rotor replacements, as i would just replace the pads in between when they wore out. This is the first car i have had with a problem like this so early on.