Warped Rotor Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Warped Rotor Update

After some negotiating with Acura Canada, I managed to convince them that they should show some goodwill to a 20 year Honda owner. They ultimately agreed to pay for the turning of my front rotors and replacement of the brake pads 1 year after expiry of the warranty on my 2000 SSM TL-P. I previously had the rotors turned under warranty. When the problem resurfaced, they initially told me tough luck as the car was out of warranty (3.5 yrs, 40,000 kms). They then agreed to pay for the labour, if I picked up the cost for the parts. Intervention on the part of a dealership service rep brought them around.

When I brought the warped rotor TSB to their attention, Acura Canada said that it didn't apply to them as it was American. They did not seem to appreciate that all TLs are built on the same American assembly line. Apparently the defect in U.S. TL brake rotors heals itself once they cross the boarder.

Props to Sam at Acura Sherway for all his help on my behalf.

Now the wait begins until the next warping....
Old 02-13-2004, 02:01 AM
Burning Brakes

If you want to keep the car, you would get aftermarket rotors since the stock ones are cr*p. Next time, you would be spending your own dough, check out the slotted ones. I heard they are a big difference from stock brakes.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

I put slotted rotors on my last car (Talon Tsi AWD) because the stock (Chrysler) rotors were severely warped. The change was dramatic, but I think it was mostly from having non-warped rotors on the car rather than from how fantastic the slotting was.

I never had a chance to autocross the car after that, but in regular street driving the slotted rotors seems to have good feedback and were less prone to fading, which is what they're designed to do.

If offered a choice, I'd go with slotted rotors over cross-drilled, just because I've heard of the cross-drilled rotors can crack under extremely heavy use, although they are reported to cool better than slotted rotors. I don't expect I'd ever use C-D rotors to that extreme, but if that's the case, I would never have needed them in the first place...

Good, luck,

Dirk
Old 02-13-2004, 04:15 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Am I the only one that ACURA replace OEM ones to cross drilled rotors under warranty?