Wanting to add bluetooth/USB to 03 Nav TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016 | 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Wanting to add bluetooth/USB to 03 Nav TL

I want add bluetooth and USB but I want to keep my stock radio and Nav system. To be used with with android and ipod, what would you recommend?
Old 01-15-2016 | 05:47 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

There are some very good FM transmitters out there if you look at reviews.
Other option is around 100$ and it plugs into the back of your stereo and provides an iPod / 3.5mm output.

Bluetooth just buy a standard bluetooth to 3.5mm adaptor for cheap on amazon.
for usb, just buy a cheap SD card based mp3 player and leave it in the car attached to the 3.5mm

I like to avoid proprietary systems like ipod adapter only as it traps you if some update brakes compatibility vs 3.5mm which will always work.
Old 01-15-2016 | 09:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thelastaspec
There are some very good FM transmitters out there if you look at reviews.
Other option is around 100$ and it plugs into the back of your stereo and provides an iPod / 3.5mm output.

Bluetooth just buy a standard bluetooth to 3.5mm adaptor for cheap on amazon.
for usb, just buy a cheap SD card based mp3 player and leave it in the car attached to the 3.5mm

I like to avoid proprietary systems like ipod adapter only as it traps you if some update brakes compatibility vs 3.5mm which will always work.
Looking for something hardwired, I've gone through 4 fm transmitters
Old 01-15-2016 | 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Isimple
Old 02-22-2016 | 08:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mikehxbx
I want add bluetooth and USB but I want to keep my stock radio and Nav system. To be used with with android and ipod, what would you recommend?
The first week of owning my car my ex made me a mixed cd using a rewritable disc and it jammed the player so took it back to the dealership and they tried replacing it with two different oem ones but couldn't get the codes. Told them I was just going to get a pioneer double din stereo so they cut me a check and got a free stereo. With the kit the stereo is bolted in, it looks like it's from the factory. I chose one with Bluetooth, aux jack to listen to Pandora or music on my phone, has a spot for a storage card and a usb to charge my phone. I'd just get an aftermarket one. Makes life a lot easier! Got the metra kit to use the steering wheel controls while I'm on the phone. Eventually I'd like to get some cameras and install a back up camera.
Old 02-22-2016 | 10:00 AM
Banned

GTA Car Kits! I have had mine for over a year now and it has ipod hookup, Bluetooth, AUX input. cost around $150 but it literally plugs directly into the back of your radio. mine works great, and with apple music on my iphone and the EQ set on Hip Hop the factory sub hits perfect.

would recommend to anyone!

do not buy a cheap one off amazon, it only worked for me for a month until the AUX shorted out.
Old 02-22-2016 | 10:18 AM
Banned

Bluetooth and iPhone/iPod/AUX Kits for Acura TL 2000-2003 | GTA Car Kits

for the bluetooth you just buy the bluetooth extension and it plugs right into the box that hooks to your radio

they way it works is that you press "CD" twice and it will show "CD 1" it doesnt make a difference if your indash disc changer works or not and if it does work the cd player still works

also it is CD quality sound so about 10 times better than any fm transmitter
Old 02-22-2016 | 02:52 PM
1st Gear

I have a 1999 tl and would love to try this adapter out. Just confirming that it will plug in into the back of the head unit? Also it is not an issue if the Bose system is what I have? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-22-2016 | 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmytwotowels
I have a 1999 tl and would love to try this adapter out. Just confirming that it will plug in into the back of the head unit? Also it is not an issue if the Bose system is what I have? Thanks for any help.
to the best of my knowledge these arent compatible with the 1999 model. something about the setup is different. but just get a cassette AUX and prob solved, its not the same cd quality but close to it and way better the FM transmitter
Old 02-22-2016 | 05:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NobleTL
The first week of owning my car my ex made me a mixed cd using a rewritable disc and it jammed the player so took it back to the dealership and they tried replacing it with two different oem ones but couldn't get the codes. Told them I was just going to get a pioneer double din stereo so they cut me a check and got a free stereo. With the kit the stereo is bolted in, it looks like it's from the factory. I chose one with Bluetooth, aux jack to listen to Pandora or music on my phone, has a spot for a storage card and a usb to charge my phone. I'd just get an aftermarket one. Makes life a lot easier! Got the metra kit to use the steering wheel controls while I'm on the phone. Eventually I'd like to get some cameras and install a back up camera.
I was going to switch to a double din but I still use the factory nav, so if I switch I lose all voice prompts from the system
Old 02-23-2016 | 01:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimmytwotowels
Grom should work for you.

I installed one in a 2000tl without navigation.

You need to buy the appropriate basic unit and add the Bluetooth Dongle to stream music. It also works as a hands free phone too, through the stereo system with basic controls at steering wheel.

Check out their link below.

Compare GROM Car Audio Integration Kits