VW vs. TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 08:04 PM
TL-S driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile VW vs. TL-S

Check this out, it was on the VW forum. I think it's so funny how people with a Jetta are talking so much crap that they can even keep up. My friend has the 1.8T and even he knows we don't play on the same ballfield.

http://www.club18t.com/vbulletin/sho...?threadid=2534
Old 05-06-2003, 08:27 PM
2002 TL Type S

Ha, that is funny! An underpowered Jetta with all those mods is still just a 15 second car...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I still cannot believe the dough people sink into 4 bangers and still have nothing.... LOL!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:24 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
What made the thread funniest was the guy who said: "Dude, you lost because you were driving a VW!"

ROFFL...
Kinda like someone here who earlier said they were glued to the rear of a Corvette Z06--yeah, 'cuz he was in 6th gear at 30mph talking on a cell and drinking a latte...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Meh, I think he did pretty good. He kept dead even w/ a 6 speed CL-S. Those aren't slow. He also has some crappy software and a few other things that aren't choice. Either way, some like 4's with technology, others like V8's.

Golf and Jetta 1.8T's can run mid 12's at over 112 mph on 104 octane with the apr stage 3 setup. A guy just recently ran 13.0 @109 mph on pump and street tires also. It may not have 5 liters, but it'll show the majority of the street modified ones its ass....

I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, I just felt the need to voice an opinion from the "import crowd" . I think turbos and smaller displacement is fun and while you like the V8 rumble, I wouldn't be caught dead in a fox body. Different strokes for different folks...no biggie
Old 05-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Racer

dont undersetimate

i wouldnt talk down a VW. THey can be potentially fast. You are talk smack because someone lost to us. Go out and race one ans see how fast they are and dont be surprises if you are head to head with one or even read the back liscense of one if you are not careful. I raced a GTI. It was modded out but I had to hold 3rd gear all the wat but after I hit 4th he was gone. GO race one and it wouldnt be too funny after that

BG
Old 05-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Pro

Jetta Drivers are the froggist of all. Everytime I pull up to a light next to one, were off! Everytime. I think they have somthing to prove to every one. I have to give them an A for effort. So far I`ve only ran into 6 cy. someone said they make a v-8, havn`t seen one yet, but I`m game. Untill then it`s like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:28 AM
lover and fighter

A418t81 is right....But the post was hillarious as the guy had essentially nothing but a chip and some bs mods as far as hp is concerned and he was mystified...
Not to sound like a teenage girl, but 'duh'!

There is an older Audi where I used to live (99 or 00-too early, I can't remember) and he has one of the latter stage upgrades. It will waste my car all day even with mods...I have had the opportunity to run a Passat W8 for an extended period of time and it was much slower than my car at a variety of speeds from 40 to over 125...He was very, very disappointed...I was quite surprised in all honesty as I thought the W8 would have more highway savvy but it flat didn't...
Old 05-07-2003, 05:00 PM
7th Gear

Looks like I will have to get a video of my moms 03 TL-S racing my 01 1.8t Passat. I have chip, intake, test pipe, and exhaust. I have raced the TL-S before with my bro driving and some of you guys attitudes might change after seeing the race
Old 05-07-2003, 06:44 PM
2002 TL Type S

Ok, let's see the video. When you get done, try pulling on my Stang. Bwahahahaha!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:22 PM
7th Gear

Always a faster car.....try pulling on a TT Viper, Single Turbo Supra, or any other car making 800rwhp. Its the same dumb argument. BTW, I prefer at least "some" looks in my cars, not a box with an engine

Edit: I was looking at your mods....what do you run? Low 13's/high 12's. If so, I might have something for you in a couple of months. I am not a bench racer, so I will post back when the bigger snail and associated fueling go on the car.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Racer

It need s to go no further then the fact that VW is still rated as the 3rd worst car company on the planet as far a reliability goes. Everyone I have ever met has said they owned a VW once and never would again. Almost every owner I have ever posting on non-specific car forums such has Car & driver have also said the would never drive another VW in their life.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:20 AM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well i don't know about you, but I know this guy in my neighborhood that has a VW Jetta 1.8T w/intake and exhaust and he raced me before. To make a long story short...He got OWWNED! He thought twice about showing off in front of me the time I seen after that...Funny thing was that I knew his girlfriend, she was a friend of mine. She would later on tell me that he thought my car was tight but never thought it was that fast. Hell, even she thought her bf's car was the shiet...Come on, it is a Jetta not a freaking NSX. I don't even think my car is fast enough and he thought his shiet was quick? I guess...In my opinion I never own a VW and glad that I never gave it a thought. Worst quality and reliability there is short of some American car companies...hahahaha

Oh and my mods? Try just an Intake at the time, now, I have headers and an exhaust and almost dare that guy to trifle with me again. How bad did I beat up? Try where he could barely read my license plate. Are you kidding me? Maybe it is because I can drive and he can't, who knows? Plus he did a "ricer fly-by" freaking annoying but oh well, I put him in his place. hahaha
Old 05-08-2003, 12:22 AM
7th Gear

They sure do hold their value well for not being very reliable http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/resale_values/ .

I agree that they are not the most reliable cars, but it isn't fault like new M3's blowing engines, more like my window won't go down and my radio just freaked out. For that matter, no German company is high on that list, when everything on your car is run by computer(like mine) stuff is going to mess up. I actually have been pretty lucky apparently because I haven't had any problems as of yet....any. My car is also pushing 50% more hp and tq than it should be, but that just shows the strength of the 1.8t. VW has come a long way and has a long way to go. As for them being as reliable as honda/acura, I doubt they ever will be. Just as I doubt any German company will be as reliable. Its just the nature of a German automobile to have some electrical gremlins
Old 05-08-2003, 01:28 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by r10apple
What made the thread funniest was the guy who said: "Dude, you lost because you were driving a VW!"

ROFFL...
Kinda like someone here who earlier said they were glued to the rear of a Corvette Z06--yeah, 'cuz he was in 6th gear at 30mph talking on a cell and drinking a latte...
ROFL!!!

Jettas are fast, but we can still take them, as long as their are equal drivers in both cars, same type tranny, blah blah you know what i mean...
Old 05-08-2003, 08:14 AM
lover and fighter

Blade: you increased hp and torque by roughly 50% with only a chip/intake/pipe/exhaust?
Well, '01 is only 150hp/155tq, right?
I dunno...I gotta see the vid...
I've seen some fast VW's--very fast. Even some faster Audi's. They all had chips, but the also were spooling up something bigger...
Old 05-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Pro

Let Me get this straight, you raced your mom. Did she know you were racing Her? I say give her another chance, But let her know next time.
But if you want to play with the big boys, come on down to GA I-95, Jax to Sav. Any weekend. But don`t bring your, american express, but your V-1.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Blade
Looks like I will have to get a video of my moms 03 TL-S racing my 01 1.8t Passat. I have chip, intake, test pipe, and exhaust. I have raced the TL-S before with my bro driving and some of you guys attitudes might change after seeing the race
Mine won't. I bought my wife a 1.8 turbo Beetle and not only was it slow, the turbo went out on her twice in under 50,000 miles. What a POS.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:29 AM
7th Gear

My car dynoed at 186whp and 230wtq. This give me about 220hp at the crank and 270lb/ft at the crank. My car weighs 3000lbs even. My best 1/4 mile time is a 14.562@95.37mph with a 2.187 60'. I know this all comes as a shock to you guys because you have never seen a fast VW, but I have already proved myself to the S4 boys and the S2k boys. It took videos for both of them to shut their mouths. Looks like it will take a video here as well. Should be able to get one sometime this weekend.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Racer

my window won't go down and my radio just freaked out.
and

I haven't had any problems as of yet....any
seems all that horsepower has confused you.....

hehe
Old 05-08-2003, 10:41 AM
lover and fighter

I can't help it...

A Passat weighs 3,000lbs even? With seats and a driver? An engine? Really?
Got slips w/ vids? Running slicks?
s2k driver bonged a pound before the launch? s4 was a '99 a4 with some badges?
:flamer:
Old 05-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by r10apple
Blade: you increased hp and torque by roughly 50% with only a chip/intake/pipe/exhaust?
Well, '01 is only 150hp/155tq, right?
I dunno...I gotta see the vid...
I've seen some fast VW's--very fast. Even some faster Audi's. They all had chips, but the also were spooling up something bigger...

His car is pretty fast. A bit of a freak you might say. He dyno'ed it recently and put down 190 whp and 230 whtq...yes, with the stock turbo. I'm sad to say that he *walked the DOG* out of our TLS. We went from a roll and from a stop. From a stop, the TL does pretty good until it hits 3rd and then he just starts running away. From a roll, might as well say bye-bye before the race even starts

Edit: *I* was driving the TLS and yes, I know how to drive it.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:22 PM
7th Gear

Originally posted by steveinathens
and

seems all that horsepower has confused you.....

hehe
You seem to be confused. I said COMMON problems seem to be my window won't go down and my radio freaked out. I myself have not had any of those problems.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Racer

yeah, you are right, i was confused by your use of the word "MY". normaly when somebody uses the word "MY" they are refering to themselves.....
Old 05-08-2003, 01:59 PM
lover and fighter

Hey Steve, there is a college in Athens isn't there (just kidding, I got the modifier question myself)?

A418t81 is a voice of reason, at least...I suppose I'll believe that, but a "freak" it would be...
My TL-S (yes, I actually mean mine) doesn't hit a wall peaking second and third in the higher RPM range, that's when it really gets started--really started...The headers make all the difference in the world there...
You can find my old post: I rolled all over a W8 rolling through third over and over and over for about 30 miles or so...It had nothing on me whatsoever...
But yes, my friend's A4 will eat my lunch with a stage something or other chip, i/e/p and a big turbo...It's Supra turbo fast...
Old 05-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Instructor

For a Passat, yes it is quick. But with that said, I've been in GTI's and Jettas that would walk the Passat down and give me a run for my money in my car. There are more and more of these cars that are trapping nearly 100 mph on the stock turbo, no giggle, street prepped.

Just for the record, it seems like the TLS traps about 93-94 in the 1/4th. While that used to be fairly quick in the past, its about ordinary now. There are new maximas at our local strip busting out 97 and 98 mph with K&N drop in filters. In today's horespower race, 260 hp isn't bad, but its hitched to a 3500 lb automatic machine. Thats what slows these cars down. I'm a bit suprised that the typical TLS only puts down 200 whp. I would have figured, Honda being the stickler for efficiency, would have been able to do a bit better than that. Hell, I have a friend with an '89 740 turbo Volvo. He put a bigger T3 on it along with a cartech FMU and turned the boost up to 14 lbs. The thing has trapped over 95 mph. Quite the sleeper
Old 05-08-2003, 03:15 PM
lover and fighter

I've seen some widely varied dyno's from people on this board with stock numbers from 202 to over 230 for whp...That's a lot...Personally, I think much of it is the tranny...
I've had my new one now for about a month and in second and third it has made a world of difference. In that time I've been able to run about with many friends I've been with before and the second and third gears shift so much quicker and smoother that it has made a really noticable change...
I thought Passats were much heavier cars than 3000lbs???

Frankly VW reliability sucks. I wouldn't own one personally. I'd get an Audi. but I've said it before, our service department in the local dealership sucks and the whole mod thing would be a problem for sure...Same for Lexus except it takes some serious $$$ on top of the IS300's price to make it go fast...The Maxima isn't on par with the TL as far as luxury and quality is concerned. Nissan service sucks as well, and in all honesty, my (again, yes mine) TL-S has never lost to a current or older Maxima or Altima as of this writing. Not even when stock. Go figure. Maybe I have a freak, too...I love the G35 but the interior is grotesque and go fast parts aren't readily available quite yet. They are quick and a good platform, but not up to my modded TL-S...
I'm still looking to get the V-afc...Importcult claims to have gotten 15hp and roughly 18lb/tq after it was tuned and has roughly the same mods...I'm going to ante up for that and some serious tractioned tires and leave it be until more comes out with the s/c and it's results...
I've got less than $35k invested in my car w/ all my mods, tax, tag and title and for that, it's hard to find something better...
Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 PM
7th Gear

Originally posted by steveinathens
yeah, you are right, i was confused by your use of the word "MY". normaly when somebody uses the word "MY" they are refering to themselves.....
I guess it would have been easier to read if I used quotes. I used "my" to refer, in first person tense, to all the VW owners that have had problems.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Yeah, right around 200 whp for a stock one and I've seen 235 or so whp on one w/ an intake and headers. Thats definitely not bad. As far as the modded thing goes, I am just comparing stock for stock because as well all know, once the modding begins, cars can transform totally :P

I agree that it is the auto that is sucking up the extra power. As for the Passat, they are right around 3000 lbs, maybe a 50 lbs more or less depending on options (1.8T, 5 speed I am talking about). As far as the latest VW reliability goes, it has definitely gone up hill. The Passat is basically a stretched FWD A4 with different interior and exterior skin. Think Accord/TL. It doesn't have nearly the problems that some of the other models have. With that said, I accept the fact that I will have to put some extra TLC into my car. I enjoy the car's unique personality and to me that is worth a bit of $$ in the long run. The TLS is a great car, probably won't require much maintainance, but it just doesn't have the something that I enjoy about my car. I know its vague, but its hard to put it into description. No doubt I would drive a TLS tho. Hell, my mom doesn't know a thing about cars and she says that "its kinda bland." There are pros and cons to every vehicle.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:47 PM
lover and fighter

The handling of the A4 and the broad powerband just do it for me...I just read an article on the new S4 in Motortrend and that may be my next car...A bit pricey, though, but for a v8 stuffed into that tiny package--bring it on!
Old 05-11-2003, 10:58 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
so, ummm.........where's the videos. PM me i will host them for you.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Unless you toss some serious $$$ at a 1.8t, its not that fast, and most simple chip upgrades wont do much for, but they will strain that sock turbo to the limits. Now once you upgrade the turbo, thats another story, but thats also several grand later.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:18 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A4 and Blade, with all due respect, you guys are comparing a pretty modded Passat (Blade's) to your mom's stock TLS. Throw in an intake and headers on that TLS and it will beat the Passat (if the 14.5 is your highest). There are guys here and on the CL board running low 14s with h/i/e (although exhaust doesn't really help that much). Problem with the TLS/CLS is that mod-wise there isn't really anything beyond the typical h/i/e/p. For the money spent on a stage 3 APR kit there is a guy on the CL board that slapped a turbo on his CLS6 and ran a 12.9 without drag radials...yeah I know its different from a TLS because of the Auto. Like you said, once you start talking mods its a whole new ballgame.

I prefer Audis over VWs but I also know how mod-friendly those bad boys can be. There are people on both boards, I am sure, that know little and think that there car is the shiznit! I mention this because it seems some people here (and on the VW forum) think they can smoke any VW or TLS/CLS.

I can see why an A4 with a stage 3 upgrade would be more fun to drive than a TLS. Sh!t, I can't wait to learn to drive a stick so Ray can let me drive his baby!
Old 05-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Racer

maybe I should teach you to drive stick on my car....so I have more motivation to get a better clutch.

To respond to the original thread, I've seen a chipeed Jetta (stock turbo) run 14.5's consistently on an 8o degree night. This is when Ferizzo was running 15.2 bone stock. So stock for stock, chipped for headers, I'd say don't underestimate the Jetta(or other VW 1.8T's). Obviously I'm talking about manual tranny Jettas.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear

Red face

the stock k03 is capable of some rather impressive 1/4 times. on a stock turbo and basic bolt-ons...it's been capable of a 13.46 ET. i can't find the pic of the time slip for that run...

but i found this. 13.52 @ 101

[edit] **** = s h i t

moderators: please excuse that profanity...it's part of the URL and without it, the link won't work. thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:35 PM
2002 TL Type S

That's the fastest k03 in the country, not the average 1.8T you see at your local stoplight...
Old 05-15-2003, 01:22 PM
2nd Gear

Talking

if everyone had those skills, then all the cars would be running similar times on our stock k03s! :p
Old 05-15-2003, 02:30 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to admit, an r32, 337 or 1.8t gti would be a fun car to have and mod. That or a WRX.