VSA and CEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
VSA and CEL

I was driving on the Interstate today when all 3 lights came on; VSA exclamation point sign, VSA (by the tachometer) and the CEL light.

But the car seemed to be running fine. But just in case, I pulled over and called my brother to meet up with me at this gas station. The dealership was closed, TLC only tows to the dealership, and I didn't have the AAA card on me, so he came with the card.

We found an AutoZone in the navi about 8 miles away, so off we went. Yada yada yada, I got the code scanned, and there was one -- O2 sensor in the heater circuit. That would be the one in the A-pipe, before the catalytic converter.

I had an exhaust leak by the A-pipe and catalytic converter link, so I figured it had to do with that. But when I thought about it, the leak is BEHIND the O2 sensor. I'm thinking that with the headers, there's a lot more exhaust gas being dumped at a faster rate, and since I floor the shit out of my car all the time and our engines run rich up top, the abundant amount of unburned fuel might have killed the O2 sensor. But that's just a theory at this time. I'll know more once I pull it out next week when I have time.

My question is -- why are the VSA lights on? That doesn't make any sense to me. The O2 sensor has nothing to do with the VSA system. But there was only one code in the system and it was the O2 sensor malfunction.

Either way, I'm going to have to pick up a new gasket, tighten the bolts, and try to fix the malfunction. If the current one is killed, then I'll probably switch it with the catalytic converter O2 sensor, but if that doesn't work, then whatever. Smitty is working on the test dump pipe with the O2 simm, and it should be ready in the next couple of weeks, so I'll just leave the busted O2 sensor alone. No need to spend money on fixing something I won't be using

So... any thoughts on the situation? Advice/suggestion/ideas welcome.

P.S. I'm having AAA tow the car home. I'm at my cousin's place in the area right now waiting for the tow truck to come. I'm pretty sure it'll be safe to drive, but why waste gas and raise mileage when I'm paying out the ass for insurance? Might as well get some use out of it.