Viper 550 installed....*comment*

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 550 installed....*comment*

The Viper 550 / remote start was installed on Saturday. For the most part installation went smoothly, although I still need to take it back to my installer so he can take care of some personal tweeking i want done to my extra shock sensors.

Basically I wanted to comment on this feature...since alot of guys already have the 550....did anyone get a gay little antennae installed on their windshield????

At first I was ill about it and wanted my installer to remove it, but the more I played with the alarm the following day the more I don't mind it. He mounted it on the top of the drivers side windshield pillar. Not in the way of sight, but easily visible...it's a small little thing too. If none of ya'll have a clue about what it is, I'll take pics later.

Anyways...I was amazed at how much further range that little antenna gives!! Estimate...I was starting the car from 200 yards off...in a full parking lot. My last system was never even close to getting that far.

I'm keeping that gay little antenna fa sho....
Old 01-20-2002, 11:03 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry to mention this, but what if some punk rips it right off your car?
Old 01-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

at first the guy who did my 550 put it behing the cover ... one day i noticed a dead spot si i took it out and mover it up above the rearview (cant see it ) its actually in the headliner... that helped alot if you want to try that it will give you better reception all around
Old 01-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by fahoumh
sorry to mention this, but what if some punk rips it right off your car?
If you're talking about the antenna, it is located inside the car. Someone would have to break into his car to "rip it right off".
Old 01-21-2002, 12:53 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Viper 550 installed....*comment*

Originally posted by ken2000ac

Anyways...I was amazed at how much further range that little antenna gives!! Estimate...I was starting the car from 200 yards off...in a full parking lot. My last system was never even close to getting that far.

The Stock remote when new, I opened my car from a 8th floor and the car was like 100 yars from the building
Old 01-21-2002, 08:22 AM
Banned

Re: Viper 550 installed....*comment*

Originally posted by ken2000ac
Basically I wanted to comment on this feature...since alot of guys already have the 550....did anyone get a gay little antennae installed on their windshield????
This is common with most remote starters. Aftermarket alarms don't always need the long range. Usually you only want to unlock your doors when you are in close proximity to your vehicle (say, less than 50 feet) because you're probably on your way to getting in it. As a result, most aftermarket alarms will not require a visible antenna. But with a remote start, you want much greater range so you can start it from inside the house, office, movie theatre, massage parlor , etc. These "electroloop" antennas are almost always installed next to the driver's side A-pillar or up against the headliner behind the rearview mirror (usually stuck to the glass with adheasive). They *greatly* improve your range, which is how they can get a (theoretical) range of 500 feet. So you definitely want to leave it.

Putting it inside the headliner as 962.5TL did will also work, but it will cut down a little on range simply because now the signal has to travel through the metal roof on the outside to get to the antenna line-of-site. Radio waves lose more energy going through metal than glass. However, increasing the height of an antenna also increases its effectiveness so just moving it from beside the A-pillar to the top of the car will probably offset the loss from the metal roof.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:27 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Viper 550 installed....*comment*

Originally posted by Bitium

The Stock remote when new, I opened my car from a 8th floor and the car was like 100 yars from the building
The higher a radio transmitter is located, the more effective its broadcast range. This is the reason radio stations always put their transmitters on top of tall buildings or mountains. The higher up you are, relative to your car, the further away you can reach it with *any* alarm fob (factory or aftermarket). On average, the stock keyless fob is good for about 50 feet when both you and your car are on level ground. As Bitium discovered, you can double, triple and quadruple that distance just by getting up above your vehicle.

This isn't a function of our Acura's (or aftermarket) alarm system, just a general property of radio transmitters and receivers.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Man I think I love it to tell you the truth. I don't deal with too many buildings in which I'm starting my car from 3 stories...but so far my range has been great.

I've had remote start before but it's never had this range. My last car had an exhaust so you could faintly hear it start up no matter how far away you were.

Since our TL's are so quiet, this is a different story. Last night I didn't know it was really cranked until I walked up to it. Smmmooooooooth
Old 01-21-2002, 11:56 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by CarFreak
If you're talking about the antenna, it is located inside the car. Someone would have to break into his car to "rip it right off".
My bad....thought it was placed on the outside of his car...:p
Old 01-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Safety Car

OOOOH a gay little antenna?? Now I'm def gettin' the Viper
Gay ownz me!
lololol

n e how...yep I had it w/ my Excalibur starter in my TBird...
awesome... I could start it from the third floor 10th period from english class at the end of the day ...

It worked from the back of the building at work when the car was the "theoretical" distance of one building (i at one end, the car at the other) plus some more because the parking is not right against the building... this was through walls and stuff...

I believe it was toted as having a 750FT range but don't quote me.

KEN>

Did u see my photoshop of ur on order wheels onto a silverish/heather mist TL?

On ur ViPer...

What did it cost u to get it all installed?
(and or price of the unit/installation seperately)

Did u use a keyblank for bypass or that kit someone linked to last week?

Did u get remote windows?? Do they go up, down, around? etc? :p

details boi... cuz i wanna get a starter/alarm soon...

I really don't want an alarm, but I want remote start & ability to roll windows up down with the remote (and possible at least close sunroof )

the only way to get all that is to do an alarm, right?

thanks
Old 01-21-2002, 11:30 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Re: Re: Viper 550 installed....*comment*

Originally posted by pianoman41

The higher a radio transmitter is located, the more effective its broadcast range. This is the reason radio stations always put their transmitters on top of tall buildings or mountains. The higher up you are, relative to your car, the further away you can reach it with *any* alarm fob (factory or aftermarket). On average, the stock keyless fob is good for about 50 feet when both you and your car are on level ground. As Bitium discovered, you can double, triple and quadruple that distance just by getting up above your vehicle.

This isn't a function of our Acura's (or aftermarket) alarm system, just a general property of radio transmitters and receivers.
Some times I'm next to my car and the remote don't work. but most of the time the stock keyless entry remote works fine from 50 yards or less.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Tommy...I didn't see that photoshop...but I wanna....link?!?!?!!?!??!

Now, I dunno what the separate prices were for installation/unit, but my installer charged me $460 straight up to have it all installed, tweeked, etc. He charged me a little bit more because I had bought an extra sensor for the rear of the car. He also did it on his own free time, saving me about $80 in costs if I had of had it installed by his shop during regular business hours. He's a good guy...dealt with him exclusively for a long time.

Umm....yes, I did get a blank key. It cost me 25 beans because I knew a guy over there who got it for COST...the regular price is $75 for a programmed key. Can you believe that? And your other question: no I did not get the windows feature. My installer said i can add it on without any trouble in the future, so I decided to go with that. I mean...it would be cool, but me personally: I would never use it.

Now, you can get an remote starter without getting an alarm...the windows thing I'm sure there's a way....but me personally I wanted the alarm first and foremost so everything else was just extra.

A-ight, Tommy....where 'dem pics of mah car!??!?
Old 01-22-2002, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear your happy with the alarm man!! I can't wait till this weekend...I get to have a "gay little antenna" too, only I get a whole stereo to go with it!!! Gay antenna's with lots of range owns you!!!
Old 01-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

Ken
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...0&pagenumber=3

KEN here's ur TL more or less (minus inspire fogs)

I borrowed it from the TL Gallery -- actually I think its Heather mist, but thats damn close, and it was at the right angle for the wheels.... I'm not good at re angling wheels so the car I find has to be at the right angle, anyhow, here:
I tinted the windows too and cleared the headlights
Old 01-23-2002, 12:10 AM
Safety Car

I've started my car from the 21st floor in a building downtown. There are times though when there is interference from power lines or whatever and I have to literally bend over the driver's side glass to disarm the car.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Some guru help:

The best choices seem to be:
Avital
Clifford
Viper...

I want Remote Start, Window/Sunroof Automation (sunroof just close is fine, windows up and down)

thats really it... but i think i'll unfortunately have to get an alarm/starter combo...
someone suggest some units, model names, and accessories needed to do the above... as detailed as possible!
THANKS!!
Old 01-23-2002, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Tommy, man!! That is niiiiiceee....thanks boi!! I might not have ever seen that if you didn't bring it to my attention!

Seriously, though....now you have just made the wait worse! JK...it's just hard to wait any more...I'm on the phone with my contact like once a week now bothering him to death.

As far as the alarm / starter goes, I can only recommend Viper. I've never had any other type of alarm...this is my second setup of Viper systems, and I never had any trouble with my other one. Although Alpine might be a good alarm to look into....I always did want an Alpine, but man they get expensive.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.