Use Dealer or Not ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 07:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use Dealer or Not ?

I have a close relative in the auto repair business who advises me to only use the dealer's service center for warrantee items. He tells me that the fees dealer's charge for maintenance (ie. the non-warrantee service and checks specified in the recommended service schedule) are inflated and far too often not thoroughly done. He's says that he's willing to service my car to spare me the excessive charges. The dealership I bought from has an excellent reputation for running a quality service center and if there are better, from what I hear, it can't be my much. I trust my relative's knowledge and skill but I also think this particular dealership can be truted as well. Do you think that their is added value in using the dealer's service or are you simply paying premium price for service that can be obtained from other facilities at a more reasonable cost ?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2002, 03:58 AM
Pro

Depends upon what you are having done.

If you are just having routine oil changes, etc. Use your close relative. It's a JOKE what the dealers charge for 15k miles, 30k miles, etc. service. Basically, they charge you hundreds of dollars to TOP OFF your fluids and check your wiper blades... YOU CAN DO ALL OF THAT STUFF YOURSELF.

Now if you're having the waterpump timing belt replaced, you might want to go to a REPUTABLE dealer just because they work on your particular car all day long. Therefore, THEY SHOULD be better qualified to do the harder stuff. They should know where all the hard to get bolts are located, etc. Some other "Joe's fixit shop" may have to mess around before they find the proper procedures to work on your specific car. However, if you have a known ACURA mechanic who is trustworthy, careful and thourough... then flip a coin. If you can arrange a loaner car from the dealer, then you have to consider that as part of the equation as well. With any recall work, I would definitely go to the dealer

I DON'T TRUST ANY OF THEM, UNLESS THEY ARE MY FRIEND AND WILL LET ME WATCH AND ASK QUESTIONS! I'm anal about maintenance and repairs, but I've seen TOO MANY screw ups and losers in my days. You're lucky if they actually fix what you ask them to fix... and then you're even luckier if they REALLY put it back together COMPLETELY. The hard to reach bolts... "screw em, the owner will never know..." Scratches, dings, smudges, chips, tears in the fabric or leather... don't EVEN get me started on that topic...
Old 09-22-2002, 08:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by Southbound

I DON'T TRUST ANY OF THEM, UNLESS THEY ARE MY FRIEND AND WILL LET ME WATCH AND ASK QUESTIONS! I'm anal about maintenance and repairs, but I've seen TOO MANY screw ups and losers in my days. You're lucky if they actually fix what you ask them to fix... and then you're even luckier if they REALLY put it back together COMPLETELY. The hard to reach bolts... "screw em, the owner will never know..." Scratches, dings, smudges, chips, tears in the fabric or leather... don't EVEN get me started on that topic... [/B]

That's what concerns me. Overcharging is one thing. The "hurt" is immediate and confined in effect but the consequences of shoddy workmanship and carlessly inflicted damage endure and perhaps even multiply. Your view is identical to my relative's. He own a collision repair business and, believe it or not, is as "anal" about restoring damaged cars to "perfection" as he would be were they his own. He runs his shop like a a fine surgical ward...clean, organized, careful, meticulous and thorough. His work is flawless and those in his employ are well aware of his relebtlessly high standards and how closely he will inspect their procedures before the car leaves his shop. When he talks I listen. He knows what he's doing. He deals a great deal with clients who have been victimized by other facilities and also handles work referred by dealers who are unable or unwilling to match his workmanship. He is fierce about forcing insurance companies to fully honor their obligations.

He has detailed dealership experiences he has had with his own cars and has described, as you have, "phantom work" ie. work listed on the invoce but not actually done, deceitful practices (eg. air filter blown out but not replaced) and mechanical atrocities where grossly poor, incorrect or incomplete repair or service methods were used resulting in leaks, rattles and ensuing damage....sometimes even compromising safety.

I used to think he was exaggerating until, a short time ago, I went with him to pick up his son's car after a two week long dealer repair. The service manager comes over and describes, in elaborate detail, how difficult the job was and how thoroughly they had carried out this particular repair. My relative takes his flashlight and starts to inspect the car closely. A few minutes later, he walks over to the service manager and asks, "Do you have a mirror ?"..."Why ?", the manager says. "Because I want to see if I have "A**hole written all over my forehead !" my relative shoots back. I was stunned and the manager looked like a "deer caught in the headlights". My relative, like a seasoned prosecuting attorney, began to lay out exactly "what was done" and detailed what "should have been done". The manager, now awkward and sheepish in demeanor, was caught lying outright , now knowing that he was dealing with someone who knows his stuff.

I, on the other hand, don't know nearly enough to protect myself under similar circumstances...perfect fodder for the unscrupulous.

At this point, I think I'll trust my relative for all but the necessary dealer services.
Thanks for your feedback. It's much appreciated.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't trust anyone working on my car that I don't know.........when I was in college I worked at the local Honda dealership, and many of the techs there were pretty shady. I try to do everything myself, however some stuff is a little too involved for me. Oil changes and regular fluid changes, etc. brakes, I can do, however, and real problems with the car I leave to the "professionals", although I'm still not comfortable letting anybody work on my car I don't personally know.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

I had my 22,500 maintenance at the dealer which included oil change, tire rotation, brake cleaning, fluid re-fills, etc. Cost was $110. I thought this was fairly reasonable and not totally outrageous.