URGENT: ignition problem on 2000 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:33 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy URGENT: ignition problem on 2000 TL

hey guys, I'm new to the forum.

I've read all about the ignition start problems posted on this board. But I have a different problem.

I've just had my 45K tune-up 2 months ago. At the time, they told me that there's a coolant leak. But since my car was still under the warranty (w/ only 4 days to go), they'll take care of free of charge.

Ever since that trip to the dealer, I've noticed occasional rough starts. I don't have any problem turning on the ignition. But right afterwards, the car shakes violently. Usually, I just turn off the engine immediately and re-try. The problem would _eventually_ go away (like after 2 tries). Last night, it happened again. But I decided to just drive off while the car's shaking. Guess what, while the car's in reverse and moving backwards, the engine just quit. All the lights on the dashboard lit up as if the key's in the "on II" position. The headlights were still on and the car's in reverse gear. I tried it again, same thing. On the 3rd try, everything was okay again. And I've tried 2 dozen times between then and now to see if I can duplicate the problem. But I have not been able to. So I can't take it to the dealer since I can't show them the problem. I've never had this problem in the 4 years that I owned this car. And the "check engine" light never came on once (it's still not on right now).

Has anyone had or heard of the same problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Instructor

I also have 200TL (with 59K miles on it). And I did experience a few times that problem that you described. And just like you, I could not duplicate this problem for mechanic. I tried to describe it as accurately as I could to a pro. The only explanation was that sometime different type of gasoline could cause this. Somebody told me that Honda is know for this. It’s not ongoing problem, so I deal with it when it comes.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:36 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I had simular problem with my 2000 TL. They replace Fuel Pressure Regulator and I guess this is service bulletin#01-001. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:15 PM
8th Gear

thank you so much for your replys!!

Come to think of it, I did fill up my tank that morning. And I put in a bottle of Chevron Techron (as I regularly do). Maybe that's to blame?

I will mentioned the Fuel Pressure Regulartor thing to my dealer. My dealer has been pretty straight forward with me in the past. I have no complaints about their service thus far. Hope they won't disappoint me this time.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Dryice, I am located in SF and having the same problem, I take my car to Mike Harvey in Burlingame, but they have not resolved the issue yet. My mechanic agrees with Songoku, the Fuel Pressure Regulator. But Acura will not warranty it. I don't know how much that part cost, but thinking about just paying for it if it's reasonable.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Instructor

I had the same issue and they dealer said it was my Throttle body...
Old 01-28-2004, 10:07 PM
8th Gear

Okay, I have an update on this.

I took my car to Los Gato's Acura, the only dealer I've ever gone to since the day I bought my car. They said that a regular diagnostic would cost $120, IF they can't find any problems. The service adviser said that it would take about 1 hr. But 2 hours later they were still checking it. Then they broke the bad news to me: everything checked out fine. "Did you check the Fuel Pressure Regulator?" I asked. "Yep, it works just fine" was the reply. So I was ready to fork over 120 bucks for...NOTHING, then they asked me if I want a free car wash. In the 4 years that I've been there, I've always declined the wash because I didn't want them to put micro-scratches in the paint (I have a black TL). But this time, I thought "screw it! I'm not gonna pay 120 bucks for nothing." Well, what happened next is nothing short of a miracle. While they were washing my car and moving it about in the lot, the engine stalled and failed. Even better, the check-engine light went on. That means an error code was logged in the computer. After checking it out for another 10 minutes or so, they said that it's the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The service rep said that the part alone would cost $750 because....it only comes in as a whole kit! And, I was just 1 month and 800 miles out of my warranty. Acura must have a secret program to fail parts right after warranty expires. But here's my lucky break: I told them that this problem occurred just before the warranty expired. I didn't bring it in because I couldn't duplicate the problem. Heck, it took them 2 hours just to accidentally get it to happen. So I wanted a good-will on the warranty. And.....they said "yes"! Is that sweet or what!!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
that $120 car wash paid off
Old 01-28-2004, 11:05 PM
8th Gear

ohh, I forgot to mention that it was a free car wash. Because they identified a problem that's covered under warranty, the diagnostic fee is waived. Yeah baby!!
Old 01-29-2004, 05:37 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I am glad my information helped.