Upgrade Auto Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade Auto Windows?

Anyone know if there is a way to make all the windows auto up/down instead of just the drivers? some people tell me its just the individual switches others that the whole set is one piece that needs to be changed, and the dealer told me that its something with the computer which i think is bull****. anyone?
Old 01-09-2002, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess there are multiple ways to do it. Probably the cleanest and best way is to get DEI or Clifford window automation modules. Unlike cheaper ones, the good DEI and Clifford modules will turn every interior switch into one-touch operation up and down when you tap it. You can still raise/lower a window partially by holding the interior window switch for the amount of time that you want it to travel. You can tie these modules in with an aftermarket alarm to roll-up windows upon arming too.

Install is the tough part, you need to tap wires in each door. So each door needs to be disassembled and wires strung to the control boxes that you place under the dash.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:12 AM
Racer

Re: Upgrade Auto Windows?

Originally posted by bnaderi
and the dealer told me that its something with the computer which i think is bull****. anyone?
your dealer is correct... i asked my dealer and my friend who is a mechanic and they said the same thing. i tried doing this mod like 2 months ago. i thought that when you hit that extra "switch" that it would hold the actual switch down but that little click just tells a computer to roll the window all the way up or down. im not sure if there are 4 individual computers for each window or if its one computer for all 4 but if you can change the other 3 doors with a driver window switch, motor and computer then i guess its possible... let me know if you do it
Old 01-10-2002, 01:47 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go aftermarket with what bebber described...same switches, use add on modules that are hidden behind panels, and is fairly cheap (compared to the oem route, if at all possible).
Old 01-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Totally OT but damn Stan your Volk's remind me of flowers or something...
Old 01-11-2002, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by TuRb0MiKeY
Totally OT but damn Stan your Volk's remind me of flowers or something...
yes they do...i did and still think that, and with your confirmation, so do others! but it's ok...i like them, i am the first and i doubt anyone else will copy me!

i am just so unique... :p
Old 01-11-2002, 03:49 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old school auto up or down windows were just a switch that was held down when you pressed the switch hard. Now its controleed by a simple computer and the click you feel/hear is just letting you know that you activated the auto down feature. Go after market, more work, but you get more out of it. Hope this helps. Thanx.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:23 AM
Banned

Or if you want cheaper add a simple $5 timing circuit to each...admittedly I don't know how much the add on modules are but I would assume not that cheap. That's what I plan to do, with some other things as well. Or you could use the "rock method"

Go out to your back yard, find a large rock, preferably heavy as well, with a curved tip. Lay it in the driver's side floor. When you need to auto down a window, simply place the rock on the switch and watch it magically auto down. To auto up, wedge the curved tip under the switch and let go! Total cost? Free. Reliability? 100%

Austin519
Old 01-12-2002, 07:41 AM
Drifting

the problem with timers is that they can burn out your motors. the aftermarket alarm window modules utilize the same thresholds built into the factory system...meaning the motors will stop when it knows the window is closed. timers run till the time runs out...some times, well after the window has already closed.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Another thing about timers, is that they hold the circuit on for a set amount of time. So you would have to open your window all the way or close it all the way, no inbetween amount unless you incorportate a "stop" switch to cut off power to the timer. Who wants to put in an extra switch? Wouldn't look clean.

Another thing about replacing all the stock switches and associated relays with the driver's side auto switch is that you will still need to tap into every single door and you may loose your ability to have two switches controlling your windows. Remember, there's only one switch that controls the drivers side window. This installation process would be at least as difficult as going the aftermarket route and probably more expensive. The advantage is getting the true two position click in the window switches, and the fact that it says "auto" on the switch. Most of my passengers don't even know the window is full auto unless I tell them to stop holding down their switches.
I think I will stick stickers on them that read "auto".
Old 01-12-2002, 08:21 PM
Jens

The factory one up one down feature is controlled by a computer that senses the electrical draw of the window motor ,when the motor reaches bottom the load increases the computer senses this and shuts down the electrical supply.Yes the windows are controlled by computers .They are controlled by digital means .For instance if you want the passenger front window to go down using the drivers switch here's what happens.You hit the button ,the drivers swittch assembly converts your command to digital signal that is sent to the driver's fuse box which in turn relays it to the passenger fusebox which in turn converts it back to an analog signal commanding the window switch relay to close and there you have it the window goes down.Oh by the way the digital signal goes into the drivers fusebox which has a device called a multiplexer which passes the signal along to the passenger fusebox and also to the engine management system which knowing you requested power window down now ever so slightly alters alternator output and idle speed if required to accomodate the additional load on the engine.All of this was done to lessen the amount of wiring in the car since many vehicle functions can be accomplished using a single wire ,and for fuel economy reasons since more accurate control over such things as alternator output idle speed etc. add up to precious mpg's .Jens
Old 01-13-2002, 02:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Multiplexed systems are useful for reducing the number of wires running through the car, but really complicates aftermarket modifications. It's because of the multiplexing that you have to go into each door panel individually if you want to convert the windows to full auto with the aftermarket modules. With conventional window switch wiring, you could have done all this through just the driver door or under the dash.

Reasonably speaking, you really cannot modify a multiplexed system. It's like a mini computer sharing data on a bus. So I don't think that using four stock driver side switches to automate all the windows is even possible.

Gotta go aftermarket here.