Unlead or Premium fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:48 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unlead or Premium fuel

I use only regular unleaded fuel and I find some small hesitation during take off. Please share your experience and type of fuel use.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Banned

You should be using unleaded Premium (91+ octane rating) fuel in your TL for best performance. and you can not put lead fuel in your car because 1) its Illegal 2) it will kill your catalytic convert.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Drifting

yeah dont give your car a lower octane fuel...if you didnt have the intention of giving it premium...you should have bought an accord...here i think they sell 93 octane...thats what i use
Old 07-31-2003, 01:46 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

man shut the hell up with the ... "you should have bought an accord" SH|T!

I have put 87 in my TL for almost 6 months... Sure it doesn't squeal as much from a stop compared to 91 octane but if your on a budget- and I mean a budget it gets you from point A to B.

Now if you want to have some performance than put 91+ in the tank. If all you care about is econo transport on a budget 87 works just fine. I still get 25+ MPG on 87 octane so don't tell me any BS about "it reduces your gas mileage"...

SO THERE!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:17 AM
Pro

Switch back to 91 or higher and pick up a bottle of Redline fuel treatment. It will feal like a new car, plus your car will love you for it!
Old 07-31-2003, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AK_MOBBER

I have put 87 in my TL for almost 6 months... Sure it doesn't squeal as much from a stop compared to 91 octane but if your on a budget- and I mean a budget it gets you from point A to B.

Now if you want to have some performance than put 91+ in the tank. If all you care about is econo transport on a budget 87 works just fine. I still get 25+ MPG on 87 octane so don't tell me any BS about "it reduces your gas mileage"...

SO THERE!
Why did you get a TL if you can't afford the right gas to put into it?
The following users liked this post:
Charlie Gutierrez (02-23-2021)
Old 07-31-2003, 09:32 AM
Banned

Your car calls for 91+ octane. I use 93. Please take care of your engine and use what is specified.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:01 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by LIGHTBEING
Your car calls for 91+ octane. I use 93. Please take care of your engine and use what is specified.

I only use Exxon 93, or Mobil 93 if I can't find an Exxon.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Man, someone's really on edge. I agree with pretty much everyone else here. Putting 87 or 89 octane in your car just isn't worth it; unless you're not planning on owning it for very long. My car was a rental/company car that I bought out of Houston for an unbelievable deal. I contemplated continuing to use 87 since I figured everyone else that drove it put that in it, but it's just not a good idea. Also, I noticed that someone mentioned using Redline fuel additives. What about STP (I think that's the brand name. It comes in a red bottle) additive? Are they all pretty much the same? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:38 PM
Advanced

The reason for Premium unleaded in our TL is the high compression rate of the engine. Lower octane fuel has less tolerance for high compression and will ignite before the sprak goes of in the chamber. This is evident if you hear engine knock, which is very bad for your engine. Our TLs are equipped with knock sensors that will retard or advance the timing as to reduce this effect but the system can only do so much to compensate for the level of octane in your gas. There are many reasons why they recommend premium gas and performance is not the main reason. Immature ignition int he chambers will reduce engine life greatly.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Once more, you don't save any money by putting regular gas in your damned tl. The knock sensor retards the timing and you get fewer mpg on the regular. Being an engineering/scientific geek, I checked this out on my own car and the 93 octane turned out to be cheaper!!!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

The old fuel debate again I thought I just posted on this topic again yesterday But anyway I will chime in again today. The 2000 TL says PREMIUM 91 octane or higher only its in the owners manul & also has a sticker inside the fuel door.
What I posted the other day again was old news & somebody else posted it also. When they did that study & test a few years ago about cars using all types of octane fuels. They said that in many cases cars that needed the PREMIUM octane should use it. One of the reason is you may be messing with your cars fuel economy by using lower octane than required. So by putting lower octane fuel in the car that needs PREMIUM to save a few cents. The car may be getting less miles to the gallon (MPG) then you would get by using the PREMIUM fuel that it was design to use. What that says is you could be paying more at the pump in the long run by using lower octane fuel. So if your getting lower gas mileage by using lower octane fuels than using the PREMIUM your car was design to run on. This to me might not be saving money at all.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by FTM-1
The old fuel debate again I thought I just posted on this topic again yesterday But anyway I will chime in again today. The 2000 TL says PREMIUM 91 octane or higher only its in the owners manul & also has a sticker inside the fuel door.
What I posted the other day again was old news & somebody else posted it also. When they did that study & test a few years ago about cars using all types of octane fuels. They said that in many cases cars that needed the PREMIUM octane should use it. One of the reason is you may be messing with your cars fuel economy by using lower octane than required. So by putting lower octane fuel in the car that needs PREMIUM to save a few cents. The car may be getting less miles to the gallon (MPG) then you would get by using the PREMIUM fuel that it was design to use. What that says is you could be paying more at the pump in the long run by using lower octane fuel. So if your getting lower gas mileage by using lower octane fuels than using the PREMIUM your car was design to run on. This to me might not be saving money at all.
i agree. use what it recomends! i accidently put 87 in and i could tell the difference. the car wasnt as snappy. as soon as i could i filled er up with 93. thats the nly thing that has ever been in my tank (premium)
Old 07-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not to be a smart azz, but aren't we talking about maybe an extra $2 dollars per fill up if you are on empty? Use premium as Acura recommends. Who knows, if you have a fuel or engine related problem down the road and they prove you have low octane fuel, don't be surprised if they tell ya "Sorry, thanks for playin", we won't honor the warranty. I've seen crazier things.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:27 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

It says In the Manual AND Fuel door 91+ octane for a reason!!
I hope you do not plan on keeping the car long.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:29 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

I see you are from Canada though....Elevation could play a factor
If you are in higher elevations you could get away w/ 89 octane MAYBE??
BUT definately not 87
Old 08-01-2003, 04:26 AM
Instructor

87? Why bother risking the long term durability of your engine to save a measily $2 per tank. Premium all the way.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Gas is gas... We gotta have it... Our cars ask for a certain octane... "Just DO IT" and put 91+ in ya cheap bastard... Ya wanted the "nice" car... So be "nice" and put what should be in it...

And I agree with what has been said before about it won't save you money in the long run to use reg. unleaded... So don't try to short cut... You'll just lose in the end...

My .02
Old 08-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by AK_MOBBER

SO THERE!
if you are on a budget then you SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE ACCORD!!!

and about the gas milage ****....i dont think it makes a diff either....i get 17 mpg on 93 octane driving locally...peice of crap fuel economy
Old 08-02-2003, 03:19 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

dudes, if you have a TL-P you can safely put in regular without risk of knock or engine failure. Dumb women do it all the time...

If you have a TL-S WHICH has higher compression, 11.5 you are an idiot not to use premium. Also if you have a supercharger or turbo you are even more dumb not to use the best octane fuel.

As for the saving money at the pump or in fuel economy I actually noticed an increase in my MPG when I switched to regular... I don't know if it was the fuel or me conciously knowing that it was lower grade fuel and not driving it as hard. I can't honestly tell you.

CJITTY, how are the dealers going to know if it's 87 or 91+??? are they going to taste it?? or smell it and know the difference. I could give a crap, my car was not under warrany when I purchased it.

NJTLS, I used to own a hooked up 95 accord with the V6 engine, unfortunatly it was destroyed by a drunk driver WHILE PARKED! Insurance company d|cked me on the money so I decided to get a nicer automobile so they can't D|CK me agian.

I put 87 in my accord and will contine to put 87 in my TL until I supercharge the b|tch.

Oh and every extra penny you spend on premium fuel goes to terrorists, you know they own all the gas stations...
Old 08-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Advanced

octane

rhizopod, your on a budget. with a tl. gimme a break. put 93 in your car dude and shut up.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Racer

Re: octane

Originally posted by steve29
rhizopod, your on a budget. with a tl. gimme a break. put 93 in your car dude and shut up.
What the hell a$$hole?? I ONLY put in 93 octane Chevron Supreme. You need to learn how to read (and spell for that matter), frickin' n00bz0r.....
Old 08-06-2003, 11:00 PM
TL-S driver

What's the point of owning a performance car with out using premium fuel? It's like owning a $500 golf driver but using a .10 golf ball. You have the equipment to hit the ball 300yrds but can't because the ball (fuel) is crap.
There's a reason why they recommend 91+. In the long run those few cents you saved on regular gas will cost you 10x more. But then again it's your car, your cash...it's up to you!
I just hope I don't read somewhere that some 4-cyl civic or neon beat you off the line and you can't understand why.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Banned

Re: octane

Originally posted by steve29
AK_MOBBER is the one putting 87 in the TL. you should really learn to read. Rhizopod, calm down bro, forgive the n00b.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Racer

Re: Re: octane

Originally posted by hzm82
AK_MOBBER is the one putting 87 in the TL. you should really learn to read. Rhizopod, calm down bro, forgive the n00b.
Sorry.

steve29, kindly reference the prior messages in the thread. In the future, I, as well as other forum members, would appreciate attention to factual accuracy in both statements and advice to other members. I wholeheartedly welcome your assistance in this matter. Thank you for your time,

rhizopod.