Type of Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type of Exhaust

Hey, I got a 2002 TLS, I want to get a new exhaust on it, but I just don't know what I should do? Does anyone have any suggestions on a low sounding exhaust? I don't want the lawn mower/ weed wacker sound. Is there a difference if I just change the mufflers instead of changing the entire exhaust system? Guys give me all the suggestions you have, I need them.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:39 PM
Peach Tea

Re: Type of Exhaust

Originally posted by GaddAMIT
Hey, I got a 2002 TLS, I want to get a new exhaust on it, but I just don't know what I should do? Does anyone have any suggestions on a low sounding exhaust? I don't want the lawn mower/ weed wacker sound. Is there a difference if I just change the mufflers instead of changing the entire exhaust system? Guys give me all the suggestions you have, I need them.
I have HKS dragers with removed large exhaust resonator and it is soooo damn deep. I say go with HKS, they look better than comptechs, but I haven't heard comptechs
Old 06-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Bada Bing

I have the Comptechs and love them. They rumble but only at low RPM so when you're on the highway you won't get a headache from the constant hum. There is a pic of them in this link if you are interested in seeing them.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by SlyTLS
I have the Comptechs and love them. They rumble but only at low RPM so when you're on the highway you won't get a headache from the constant hum. There is a pic of them in this link if you are interested in seeing them.
I have the same exhaust as Sly... and I LOVE them. I can't explain it enough. The sound is just perfect... it really completes the car in both looks and sound. The car now sounds like it has 260hp under the hood. They are a bit pricey... but worth every penny IMO. Plus, they bolt right on... takes about 1/2 hour to install..... some pics are on my website, linked in my sig...
Old 06-17-2002, 12:08 PM
Racer

mufflers or exhaust systems?

Are the comptechs just new mufflers or are they new exhaust systems? Also if you guys don't mind me asking, about how much you pay for them. Thanks
Old 06-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

GaddAMIT - the Comptech's are axle-back... so just mufflers basically. That's pretty much all you'll find for this car. The stock exhaust is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" stock... which is pretty much optimum. Basically, opening that up more could cause you to lose power if you were just modifying the exhaust. I bought my Competch's from this site. I think they're around $600 now....
Old 06-17-2002, 03:46 PM
Racer

OBX

I was looking at some OBX Racing steel mufflers, they are DTM angled. I was wondering if anyone really knew anything about these? If they would sound good or not. Also what did you mean by opening it up would lower my power, wouldn't a new muffler be better?

The Muffler is 25" long, with a 2.5" inlet, and a Dual Outlet tip. The guy claims it will add anywhere from 8-15 hp to my car, but I'm not so sure after your last comment. Let me know.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I have Mangnaflows (14851) with some custom bent tubing. They stick out a little more than the Comptech's but it was $340 out the door. They sound is great under acceleration but quiet at cruise and idle.

Magnaflow Race Series
Old 06-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Racer

OBX

How about OBX muffler's? Anyone know how they sound? good? ****ty? I want a deep sound, not TOO loud, but when I hit the gas I want it to sound good.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:22 AM
Cruisin'

Have not heard much about the OBX mufflers, but as with any muffler purchase, I would hear how it sounds first before I buy it, cause you will have to live with that sound...

I have owned a HKS exhaust before and really Loved it, it was on my 1995 M3, the difference from Stock to HKS was incredible, I could not believe just the Exhaust would produce this much power. and it sounded great too. But keep in mind, M3 sounds a lot different than a Type S TL.

Never heard it on a Type S.... also NO MUFFLER I know of can give you 8-15 HP, HECk , no CAT-back Exhaust system that I know of can claim that on a NA engine. I think who ever is trying to sell you the muffler, is smoking crack, or he is just doing his job "trying to get you to buy the muffler"...