turbo or nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 08:11 PM
UB6IB9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turbo or nitrous?

what would you guys recomend i do?turbo or nitrous? i'm thinking of 75-85 shot of nitrous.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:24 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldnt risk more than 50shot of nitrous (that's prolly what i'll be getting) even tho i heard the tranny can handle 100shots.

and a turbo setup will cost you like 7000$CAN.

i see you're looking for performance mods.. you're making my goal harder: being the fastest TL-P in Quebec :fingerfawk:

@cUr@-TL
Old 07-31-2004, 10:50 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Our tranny can barely handle normal every day driving, I find it hard to believe that it can handle a 100 shot of NOS....

Yeah, I agree with @cur@, get the nitrous.... the turbo and the work behind it wll be expensive... keep us updated on what you doa nd also post pics when you started getting kills against porsches and shit....
Old 07-31-2004, 10:53 PM
Peach Tea

ur prolly gonna end up goin with nitrous, but a turbo kit sure would be sweet. you'd be the first with a turbo TL!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:57 PM
Advanced

is there a turbo kit for our car?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Peach Tea

Originally Posted by Lacs21
is there a turbo kit for our car?
no he'd have to get it custom which would be a hellalotta money!
Old 08-01-2004, 12:07 AM
UB6IB9

i'm thinking of turbo cause a friend of mine has a shop and would do the set up for me,but i'll have to get the turbo elsewhere, they make intercoolers so 'ill get a good price on it
Old 08-01-2004, 12:08 AM
UB6IB9

what should i change if i put nitrous(injectors,increase fuel pressure...)?
Old 08-01-2004, 10:08 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by 1st timer
i'm thinking of turbo cause a friend of mine has a shop and would do the set up for me,but i'll have to get the turbo elsewhere, they make intercoolers so 'ill get a good price on it

a turbo would be nice.. but you'd most likely have to rebuild the tranny and that would cost you $$ again..

i think you're better off with a 50shot of NOS. all you'd need to replace i think would be the spark plugs. get some zex ones made for N20.

btw what's the name of your friend's shop?

@cUr@-TL
Old 08-01-2004, 10:23 AM
UB6IB9

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
a turbo would be nice.. but you'd most likely have to rebuild the tranny and that would cost you $$ again..

i think you're better off with a 50shot of NOS. all you'd need to replace i think would be the spark plugs. get some zex ones made for N20.

btw what's the name of your friend's shop?

@cUr@-TL
the shop is called Extreme Machines,in laval,if you've been to advanced EFI maybe you've seen his Yellow MR2!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:29 AM
UB6IB9

what plugs are best for nitrous applications?
Old 08-01-2004, 01:00 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

hey is he at the gp in trois-rivieres? cuz i saw a yellow MR2 parked there. it looked sweet.

@cUr@-TL
Old 08-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Racer

Let's us know when you detonate your car. Don't waste your money. Go grab an Sti.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:41 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by MoDzHuNgRy
Let's us know when you detonate your car. Don't waste your money. Go grab an Sti.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:04 PM
UB6IB9

hey is he at the gp in trois-rivieres? cuz i saw a yellow MR2 parked there. it looked sweet.

@cUr@-TL
it's like a canary yellow,it's for sale! has something like 450 HP!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:06 PM
UB6IB9

too expaensive for a Subaru!IMO! would much rather get a used Z06
Old 08-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Racer

Old 08-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I would hit 50-55 on the streets and 75 at the track. But don't be surprised if the transmission went.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I wouldn't recommend nitrous unless you plan to spend plenty of time on the track. Like others have said, our transmissions are suspect as it is, no need to add the stress of nitrous on it. Besides, using nitrous on the street is illegal and very dangerous. To me, it's like cheating anyway, doesn't seem like REAL horsepower, shouldn't have to come from a bottle that needs to be filled constantly.

If you have the resources and funds, I'd LOVE to see a turbo put on a TL, it's been done previously on a CL as most of you already know. Just beware of the $$$$ involved and complications that are inevitable. This, too, will add stress and your transmission will need to be beefed up/upgraded.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:14 AM
Banned

The STI would easily keep up with a Z06 stock... Would beat it badly if modded correctly.. Stock Vs. Stock the Z06 would win after like 50mph, but the STI would win off the line with it's AWD.. The Z06 is still a badass car though which isn't to be underestimated.. 405hp has gotta be incredible.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:13 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bacardi151
The STI would easily keep up with a Z06 stock... Would beat it badly if modded correctly.. Stock Vs. Stock the Z06 would win after like 50mph, but the STI would win off the line with it's AWD.. The Z06 is still a badass car though which isn't to be underestimated.. 405hp has gotta be incredible.
i don't think the sti would stay neck and neck stock, the z06 is listed as having faster 0-60, 1/8 and 1/4 mile times. i don't think an sti would be far behind, but definitely not neck and neck.

the thing is though, the z06 is all motor. one simple mod like a nitrous shot or blower and the sti won't stand a chance. there is only so far you can turbo a 4 cylinder boxster engine.

besides, there is something about the sti spoiler and the sti hood scoop that i really dislike compared to the regular wrx.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:58 AM
2003 SSM TLS

The Z06 weighs much less than the STi. No comparison. Z06 would school the STi all the way. You're comparing a 2 seat purpous built sports car to a 4 door sedan wanna be.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jayhawk815
I wouldn't recommend nitrous unless you plan to spend plenty of time on the track. Like others have said, our transmissions are suspect as it is, no need to add the stress of nitrous on it. Besides, using nitrous on the street is illegal and very dangerous. To me, it's like cheating anyway, doesn't seem like REAL horsepower, shouldn't have to come from a bottle that needs to be filled constantly.

If you have the resources and funds, I'd LOVE to see a turbo put on a TL, it's been done previously on a CL as most of you already know. Just beware of the $$$$ involved and complications that are inevitable. This, too, will add stress and your transmission will need to be beefed up/upgraded.

OMG!! your kiddin me right?NOS is cheating.Why is that because its cheap?Remember you dont get horse power from NOS you get it from the FUEL.NOS just allows you to burn the extra FUEL and you mentioned dangerous how?and what do you mean not real horse power?Your REAL HP is from the FUEL.you said"doesn't seem like REAL horsepower, shouldn't have to come from a bottle that needs to be filled constantly."the horse power doesnt come from the bottle it allows you to burn the EXTRA FUEL!i can tell your inexperienced in the knowledge of aftermarket parts and how they truely function.Dont mean to come down on ya but dont talk like you know what your talking about.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOne305
OMG!! your kiddin me right?NOS is cheating.Why is that because its cheap?Remember you dont get horse power from NOS you get it from the FUEL.NOS just allows you to burn the extra FUEL and you mentioned dangerous how?and what do you mean not real horse power?Your REAL HP is from the FUEL.you said"doesn't seem like REAL horsepower, shouldn't have to come from a bottle that needs to be filled constantly."the horse power doesnt come from the bottle it allows you to burn the EXTRA FUEL!i can tell your inexperienced in the knowledge of aftermarket parts and how they truely function.Dont mean to come down on ya but dont talk like you know what your talking about.
Wow, man, you took what I said a little too literally and possibly personally. I KNOW how it works, I'm not stupid. Thanks for the lesson, chief. You honestly have no idea who I am or what I do. So stop with the personal attacks there, it doesn't doesn't take a big man to talk shit on a forum. It's unnecessary on this site. Anyway, it more or less DOES come from the bottle. I know it's not the nitrous, itself, as you stated.

When I said it's dangerous, I'm referring to using in street racing. One of my friends totalled his 240SX because of the extra power on a turn. Granted, he was relatively inexperienced at the time. Basically, what I'm saying is NOS should be used with caution and by a relatively experienced driver, or at the track. Yes, I know it doesn't work like shown in most movies, i.e., F & F, 2F2F.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Racer

I have an Sti. There's no contest. The Z06 owns. You're comparing a 12 sec car to a 13 sec car. In an autocross...that's a whole another story.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Racer

Hey "JayHawk". I have a friend that's part of Alpha Phi Gamma(Asian Sorority) there. Know anyone from the group?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jayhawk815
Wow, man, you took what I said a little too literally and possibly personally. I KNOW how it works, I'm not stupid. Thanks for the lesson, chief. You honestly have no idea who I am or what I do. So stop with the personal attacks there, it doesn't doesn't take a big man to talk shit on a forum. It's unnecessary on this site. Anyway, it more or less DOES come from the bottle. I know it's not the nitrous, itself, as you stated.

When I said it's dangerous, I'm referring to using in street racing. One of my friends totalled his 240SX because of the extra power on a turn. Granted, he was relatively inexperienced at the time. Basically, what I'm saying is NOS should be used with caution and by a relatively experienced driver, or at the track. Yes, I know it doesn't work like shown in most movies, i.e., F & F, 2F2F.

Then whats the diffrence in getting a turbo?you stated "When I said it's dangerous, I'm referring to using in street racing. One of my friends totalled his 240SX because of the extra power on a turn"you dont think a turbo will do the same?you cant state that NOS is DANGEROUS and TURBO is SAFE.SO basicly your friend would of been ok if he had the turbo generating the same amount of HP?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Advanced

I have had experience with both Nitrous and Turbo.
Both are safe, if you have your car setup correctly.
With nitrous, you won't feel a difference if you go with anything less then a 55 shot nozzle.
I'm not sure what the capacity of our injectors are...but I'd check to see that our fuel system is up for it. After that, make sure you run colder spark plugs.
The main concern for our cars would be the transmission... I'd recommend a tranny cooler at the least.
but other then that, it's fun, especially if you have a purge valve...

Only reason, I wouldn't go with turbo for the TL is because there are no available kits, which means, you'd have to spend a lot of $$$$ getting one custom made. Other draw backs include, weak tranny, our cars are heavy...with the money you're gonna end up spending...I'd rather get a used BMW M3.
Personally, I don't think the tranny would last very long even with a 55 shot nitrous.

if you want a little extra boost in power, go with Nitrous... it's cheap, and since it's only once in awhile... our trannies won't take the abuse as much as the turbo.

I mean, There's a lot of people running the comptech superchargers...so, it shouldn't be over kill if you ran a 75 shot every once in awhile.

Just in case anyone is wondering... My TL is mainly looks and comfort. I have another car for spirited driving...
this is just my .02 cents
Old 08-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Instructor

I have an Sti. There's no contest. The Z06 owns. You're comparing a 12 sec car to a 13 sec car. In an autocross...that's a whole another story.
Not if the course is an open one...

I'm runnig a 120 shot and haven't had any problems with it. I run 13.8's.

I have a Turbo Miata. That car is totally built and I run 22 lb boost on it. I suspect if you were just going to slap on a turbo to the stock motor, your probably not going to see more than maybe 5 lb boost. Now if you intercool it and build the motor, well, the TL is probably the wrong platform for that kind of power anyway.

My Z06 is blown with a built motor and cranks out just under 600 hp. That car is just absurd.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:12 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by joecooool
Not if the course is an open one...

I'm runnig a 120 shot and haven't had any problems with it. I run 13.8's.

I have a Turbo Miata. That car is totally built and I run 22 lb boost on it. I suspect if you were just going to slap on a turbo to the stock motor, your probably not going to see more than maybe 5 lb boost. Now if you intercool it and build the motor, well, the TL is probably the wrong platform for that kind of power anyway.

My Z06 is blown with a built motor and cranks out just under 600 hp. That car is just absurd.

got pics???

@cUr@-TL
Old 08-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Instructor

got pics???

@cUr@-TL
Of which one?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:07 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joecooool
Of which one?
both please, but especially the Z06
Old 08-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOne305
Then whats the diffrence in getting a turbo?you stated "When I said it's dangerous, I'm referring to using in street racing. One of my friends totalled his 240SX because of the extra power on a turn"you dont think a turbo will do the same?you cant state that NOS is DANGEROUS and TURBO is SAFE.SO basicly your friend would of been ok if he had the turbo generating the same amount of HP?
I don't have any experiance with this, but heres how I see it. Turbos have to be safe because Volvos have turbos. Honestly.

Seriously though, turbo is consistant, when you drive anywhere, the turbo spools up, it is always part of the driving experiance, when you go to the store, to get your girlfriend, your kid, whatever it is. Nitrous though isn't like that, you only have an idea of what to expect when you actually use it, you use it, and then it runs out. Seems a turbo is a bit more safer in that it is more predictable and consistant.

Nitrous would be amazingly cheaper too, which for most people is usually a better thing.

Old 08-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
both please, but especially the Z06
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=215035
Old 08-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Banned

4 440cc injectors
2. 550cc injectors

Warlboro fuel pump
Tranny oil cooler (upgrader .. will help reduce heat on tranny which will kill it if to hot)
Tial wastegate with 7 pound spring at first DO NOT GET DELTAGATE, they have problems with boost creep

Blow off valve, or diverter valve, i suggest the hks ss, or hks race valve
oil and water lines
sythetic oil
t3to4e would be a nice fit unless you wanna go balls out and go with a dual ball bearing turbo, ie. gt30r
intercooler, 26x3x12 would be a nice size
piping for intercooler
3" downpipe, straight pipe cat, titanium 3" exhaust
boost controller ... profec b
greddy emanage
apexi avc

I may have forgotten a few things, but for the most part thats what i would suggest for a killer setup.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hurleysurf24
4 440cc injectors
2. 550cc injectors

Warlboro fuel pump
Tranny oil cooler (upgrader .. will help reduce heat on tranny which will kill it if to hot)
Tial wastegate with 7 pound spring at first DO NOT GET DELTAGATE, they have problems with boost creep

Blow off valve, or diverter valve, i suggest the hks ss, or hks race valve
oil and water lines
sythetic oil
t3to4e would be a nice fit unless you wanna go balls out and go with a dual ball bearing turbo, ie. gt30r
intercooler, 26x3x12 would be a nice size
piping for intercooler
3" downpipe, straight pipe cat, titanium 3" exhaust
boost controller ... profec b
greddy emanage
apexi avc

I may have forgotten a few things, but for the most part thats what i would suggest for a killer setup.

why the different size injectors for the engine?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Who Dis Is?

joecooool I'm going to have to check my pants after checking out your cars. Man that Z06 is something else. I bet that car is incredible to drive. Also, you're getting an Elise!!! That's my dream car it's an anamoly at only 2000lbs. The "beast slayer", if there's a turbo out for it you could probably match it up against your Z06. I know the stock Z06 and the Elise have just about the same 1/4 mile and 0-60. When you get that in Please post some pics of it and maybe even a video of you testing out what its got. What are your times for the Z06?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

its what high end tuners yse ... basically it gives it that extra fuel without having to use that amount the whole time with all 550cc, plus 550 is way to big for the type of turbo setup i described

and the whole turbo on volvo thing ... wow most oblivious statement ever. hoenstly do you think putting a turbo on a car that is about 5 times the size of one on a volvo is going to be just as good as the turbo system mated to a volvo?

it all depends on how you build it, who builds it, quality of the materials, and what you have planned. not that its just ok because other cars use turbos in there assembly
Old 08-15-2004, 02:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wow nice cars Man do u own a car dealer or something? if you run a 13.8 1/4 time on ur TLS that means u must run 0-60mph like in 5.4-5.5? something like that?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Original Member #81

Blah blah Tranny will blow up, blah blah blah.......

If you do searches, there were a ton of people running over 125 shots, 4 years ago! I don't believe any of the trannies went. If it's going to go it'll go regardless of abuse. Turbo vs. Nitrous is always a debate, it just depends on what you want. Less $$ or not having to fill a bottle. Or you could be like Phil and get a larger bottle or do what I did and put 2 in the trunk.....

Quick Reply: turbo or nitrous?