Tuned up BMW=F**ked up resale value. Engine Tune up European Car=Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 12:20 PM

Wink Tuned up BMW=F**ked up resale value. Engine Tune up European Car=Crazy

I know that this is TL site, but somebody put really dumb Bimmer note here, that is why I am writing this note.

I had 95 Mecr c280. At that time, I really liked my car, so I decided to spend large amount of money to it. I tuned up my car the next day I bought my car with fully Brabus Package. I invested about $15000 to my car. Do you know what happened to my Merc. It suffered from major problems like Engine Leak, Transmission Leak and so on. I spent $3000 to repair. Yesterday, I sold my car, I got $10000 for it. What a good deal, right?

Dear Bimmerman, I believe that your car would suffered from more problems. I am sure Bimmer is worse than Merc. As an engineer, there is one biggest problem that Bimmer people don't know-Major Coolant Leakage which leads up to Engine Overheat. Bimmer couldn't fix this problem for more than 10 years. Good luck to you.

Nowadays, I would buy better car and just change rims. What is the point of fixing engine on European cars? That is not very good idea.

If you want to tune up, go for Japanese Car, I know that it wouldn't break down like Merc or Bimmer. Even though I don't have TL, to all those tl enthusiasts, You guys cars are fine and it wouldn't suffer from major problems like European cars. Have a fun tuning up your TLs.

To bimmer guy, I hope that your car still run after 4 years after your supercharge crap. Race~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 06-10-2001, 01:26 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

The coolant leakage on BMWs have been lessen now, but there are still examples of this defects(design flaw, maybe?).

Japanese cars are very flexible in terms of tuning. You can tune the car bits by bits, 'til you are happy with it.

However, Mercedes(or BMW, for that matters)works better if you have the car tuned as a whole, and let no one else besides Big Names(Brabus, AMG, Lorinser, Carlsson, Renntech, to name a few)do the job. Local shops just can't do quality mods on MB nor BMW...

If you decided to mod European cars, be prepared to cough up some serious $$$. It dones't matter if you have genuine Brabus/AMG/Lorisner/What not parts, if you go for local performance shops, they will screw you over..

Just some personal experiences/opinions

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV
Old 06-10-2001, 10:41 PM

Thumbs down

Audi cars are very sensitive to tuning, I've heard horror stories of people blowing up their turbos by simply adding an ECU chip. Definately goto a reputable shop to get any kind of work done to it.

Old 06-11-2001, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As to the first post, what? Your post makes no sense and you don't even identify which engine you claim has coolant problems. All? Mine doesn't.

I should have figured that someone that modifies a C280 doesn't know too much.

------------------
91 M5
Dinan stuff
18" BBS RC's
340hp
Old 06-11-2001, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 91M5:
As to the first post, what? Your post makes no sense and you don't even identify which engine you claim has coolant problems. All? Mine doesn't.

I should have figured that someone that modifies a C280 doesn't know too much.

That's what I was thinking -- for an engineer you are lacking some major langauge and communication skills.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:57 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
BMW had had problems (as did VW and Audi) will the plastic radiator side tanks separating. Also heater cores.

The big snafu has been the cylinder head gasket failures on the 1.8l fours, which can cause sudden, explosive loss of coolant and failure of the upper end of the engine if not caught very fast.

BMW has been characteristically denying there is a problem, but there have been many angry letters in the Roundel about this (as well as the 4.0l V8 cylinder bore nightmare).

I like and have owned many Bimmers, but have always felt they took a rather Teutonic attitude toward these sorts of engineering mishaps - "vee are purfect und you are dummkopf Americans".

BTW, they changed the head gasket on the 1.8l but did it was part of a secret warranty.

One reason I changed camps.