truth about squeaks...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truth about squeaks...

ok...
so i hit 50K a week ago and went to the dealer to get my oil change and tell him my car is squeaking more now...

i went...he tells me my warranty is up...tough...i tell him i bought extended warranty...he says it only covers powertrain, elec, blah blah...
i say ok...i understand, but my car was squeaking before the 50k mark...so can't you do anything...he tells me he'll take it for a drive and see what he can do [btw, i think my antenna is loose...cuz i hear a rattling noise back there] ...

so when i come back to pick up my car ... he tells me ... i hear what you're talking about, but i don't think it'll be worth fixing because if i fix it, it'll probably come back....i was like what the!!?!? it'll probably come back? yeah you mean just like my seats? He also tells me...because the car is so quiet inside, you'll hear all that stuf....i was about to say no SH*T it's quiet...why do you think i bought the car so i could kill the exterior noise and listen to the squeaks? you fricken ARGH! ... do they think that mercedes, lexi, etc make all that noise? dayam....if i bought a mercedes for $X and it made squeaks i'd be more than pissed...

i was fairly pissed...but i don't really care anymore...i realize that i got an ECONO-car....i mean 30k is decent for the amount of car i got...so my final decision is that acura doesn't want return customers... i've made up my mind that i won't be gettin another acura anytime soon or later in the future...

sigh.....
Old 01-09-2002, 02:40 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems the service in your dealership really sucks a$$. But I understand your problems. I have a lot of squeaks in my car too, but my dealer tries their best to fix them. In the meantime, I just pump up the volume and just ignore the squeaks and rattles.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

If your car was squeaking before 50K you should have taken in to the dealer then. True, the dealer could have been kinder and tried to help you but when the warranty is up it's up. You might try another dealer or pleading your case to the Acura regional rep.

Extended warranties aren't bumper-to-bumper and don't cover everything that the factory warranty does.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:57 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you guys noticed all the posts lately? i notice ALOT of people saying they will not buy another Acura/Honda product ever again... make a petition...
Old 01-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

guys...I got rid of all my noises

it's all about lubricants... some places dries up....during friction...it rubs...creats rubbing squeeking noises...just get some lubricant spray and spray the area that squeeks..

it's untrue that other cars don't squeek..

My dad's 560 SEL benz...squeeks like hell...the seats....it's loud too..

city
Old 01-09-2002, 04:18 PM

Hate to break it to you guys, but expensive cars squeak also, my wife's $50k 330 convertible had a few (granted, yes a convertible will more so) but I just stayed on top of my dealer to fix them to my full satisfaction, as that is what a warranty is there for. And my $60k GS430 had a minor glovebox squeak, which again the dealer resolved, but nonetheless was an issue. What I don't understand is why someone would just accept a dealership throwing the blame back on them after spending $30k on their car ?! My advice: find another dealership that will act more professional and courteous, instead of these clowns that don't care about tarnishing Acura's reputation.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down 30K Squeak mobile

No more Acuras for me either (I think). Mine squeaks and drives me crazy, plus the front seats are crap. I could have got a Chevy with less noise. The TL handles about as good as an Accord. My old Integra would run circles around this car. I should have popped for the Lexus.

Acura cuts corners now to offer "Value" Lux Autos. Lots of features and poor fit and finish.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

like what TedC said... if u see the problem...go see the dealer IMMEDIATELY..and keep up to date on this site..it helps solves some problems....

MY TL is perfect now..>NO NOISE what so ever..

My dad's Benz is so much louder than my TL

it was a 80K car as well...

city
Old 01-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had a previous problem with them prior to the warranty going out, then you have a case of a recurring problem, which makes them responsible for it....
Old 01-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

dude....i've had this problem since WAY back when....

i've gone to my dealer a million times bout squeaks...and they've always accomodated...i guess they were just sick of dealin with it this time...but as for my dealership's service dept...lemme say they are awesome with service... i can't say anything really bad bout them....but yeah....i guess it's like...after 50k miles...tough...

but yeah...i won't buy another acura, that's for sure. too bad too, i really like the mdx....but oh well...time to move over to lexus after this...i really like the gs

but i mean i understand that mercedes, lexus, bmw, etc squeak every once in a while but not over every bump.....sigh...oh well... i still have pride in the car since it's my first baby....so live and learn... moral: not another acura...
Old 01-10-2002, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
The truth about squeaks is that...

The quality of Honda/Acura isn't as good as before in my opinion. Way back when I owned a 1990 Honda Accord EX, I never knew what a squeak is because everything was bolted on with nuts and bolts. I have to say that the old Accord was solid as a rock. Ever since plastics and clips came into place (which reduces production cost), that's when all hell broke loose. Plastic clips tend to work themselves loose over time..heck, over bumps and potholes. Us AV6 guys have long complained about squeaks everywhere, several even had screws rolling around behind the console. I mean, things like this should not be tolerated. Like an assembly worker forgetting to put in a foam padding and stuff...
Old 01-10-2002, 01:25 PM
Racer

Other than the seatbelt holder squeak and the sunroof squeak, I wonder how many people who have never take off any of their panels have squeaks. I remember someone telling me about squeaks and rattles everywhere but this person had pretty much taken the car apart and put it back together ten times over.

So, just out of curiosity, how many of you have squeaks and have never taken the car panels off?
Old 01-10-2002, 03:45 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally posted by t-rd
The truth about squeaks is that...

The quality of Honda/Acura isn't as good as before in my opinion. Way back when I owned a 1990 Honda Accord EX, I never knew what a squeak is because everything was bolted on with nuts and bolts. I have to say that the old Accord was solid as a rock. Ever since plastics and clips came into place (which reduces production cost), that's when all hell broke loose. Plastic clips tend to work themselves loose over time..heck, over bumps and potholes. Us AV6 guys have long complained about squeaks everywhere, several even had screws rolling around behind the console. I mean, things like this should not be tolerated. Like an assembly worker forgetting to put in a foam padding and stuff...
My family has owned three generations of Honda Accord's - '84, '89' and '91. The cars become more solid and less rattle for each newer generation. The reason is that the newer chassis is always made more rigid than before. That's why Honda/Acura always indicates that the chassis is xx % more rigid than before in every new model introductions or upgrades. A very good test is to drive the car over railway tracks. The '84 Accord sounded like it was falling apart with all the rattles generated from the inside and outside panels and trims, whereas the '91 Accord sounded more solid but still rattle a bit.

No car is immune to squeaks and ratttles no matter how solidly it is built, although expensive heavier cars tend to rattle less. The reason is that cars are subjected to enormous shocks and stresses from going over rough roads, bumps, potholes, etc. So unless a car is molded into one single solid piece, inside and out, squeaks and rattles are just the norm we have to live with.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:05 PM
Racer

Question about extended warranty

Are there different type of extended warranties? From this thread I have the impression that problems like squeaks will not be fixed under extended warranty? When I bought my extended warranty, I asked specifically "Is this the same as factory warranty?" and the answer I got was "Yes, this is exactly the same as factory warranty, and you will get loaner car and the whole package..., just that you have to spit out a one time visit fee everytime you bring the car back to fix ($25 I believe)"
If it is the same as the factory warranty like I was told, shouldn't squeaks and stuff be covered as well? Not just powertrain and other big items...
Old 01-12-2002, 07:52 AM
Racer

I must have had good luck with my old Maxima and Sentra because this is my first car with squeaks.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:04 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
TSB on squecks.....

Make: ACURA Model: 3.2TL Year: 1999
Service Bulletin Number: 00014 Bulletin Sequence Number: 124 Date of Bulletin: 04/00
NHTSA Item Number: SB612497 Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:SEATS Summary:
CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT ON SQUEAKS FROM THE DRIVER'S SEAT WHEN THE DRIVER MOVES IN IT, AND / OR THE SEAT CREAKS WHEN IT'S IN THE LOWEST POSITION. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 00015 Bulletin Sequence Number: 124 Date of Bulletin: 04/00
NHTSA Item Number: SB612492 Component: STRUCTURE:BODY ROOF Summary:
EXPERIENCING CREAKING NOISE FROM THE ACCESSORY MOONROOF VISOR. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 00032 Bulletin Sequence Number: 155 Date of Bulletin: 11/00
NHTSA Item Number: SB615579 Component: STRUCTURE:BODY ROOF Summary:
ON ALL 1999-01 3.2TL, 2001 3.2CL AND 2001 MDX MODEL VEHICLES, THE MOONROOF SEAL SQUEAKS AGAINST THE ROOF WHEN THE GLASS IS CLOSED AND THE SUNSHADE IS OPEN. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 01005 Bulletin Sequence Number: 176 Date of Bulletin: 01/01
NHTSA Item Number: SB617705 Component: STEERING:POWER ASSIST:PUMP Summary:
THIS BULLETIN ADDRESSES NOISE CONDITION FROM THE POWER STEERING PUMP. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 011000 Bulletin Sequence Number: 187 Date of Bulletin: 10/00
NHTSA Item Number: SB618764 Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT Summary:
CUSTOMER MAY COMMENT THAT THE VEHICLE CLUNKS WHEN TURNING OR GOING OVER BUMPS. *TT
Old 01-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

it seems the "Japan Built" cars are still the best -- legends are supposed tobe real solid... wish our TL's were still Japan built
Old 01-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes...Japan has the best quality assurance. Everywhere else just sux.

city