Trunk Rattle Finally Fixed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 06:10 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Trunk Rattle Finally Fixed!!!

Hats down to whoever suggested Trimbrite Door Edge Molding to fix the trunk rattle problem!!! You're a freaking genius, man.

As many others of you do, I also suffered from the notorious trunk rattle syndrome (TRS) as a result of the system in back. When I would turn up the volume even moderately, I would experience excessive rattle. It's not the license plate, I have no spoiler, and it wasnt a brake light. I figured it must have been the metal lip of the trunk vibrating against the metal surface on which it rests when closed.

I read an earlier post which suggested using the Trimbrite ($2.99 for a pack of 2 strips at Kragen) to "air-lock" the trunk, thereby theoretically eliminating bass rattle. Although that person did not have a system in their car, I figured it made sense, and might as well give it a shot.

It works. And beautifully at that. Not only does this serve a utilitarian function, but also aesthetic as well. I got the chrome surfaced strips and stuck it to the surface on which the trunk lip lays (not the actual trunk itself, but where it hits the metal of the rear bumper). As a result, it is visually apparent from the rear of the car, and the chrome accents the chome badges on the back, to make it look great. If I had a decent digicam, I would post evidence of this.

I'm quite proud of myself. No more rattle! I can finally turn up my system full blast without being embarrassed.

Man this is a long post... I couldnt help it. I was too excited.:o
Old 12-18-2001, 06:31 PM
10th Gear

I have the same rattle problem with my system and its driving me crazy. I know its hard to explain without a picture but did you put it along the whole outside of the trunk or just in the middle? Also, how noticeable are the chrome strips from a few feet away from a few feet away?
Old 12-18-2001, 06:40 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

...used one strip to cover just the middle portion. I had to cut about an inch off from one side of the molding to make it fit.

It's noticeable from a few feet away, but not overly so. It looks like an OEM chrome strip (like the various ones we have on our car). Man, it looks sweet though.

Price correction: $4.29 for chrome molding ($3.99 for black, clear, white).
Old 12-18-2001, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I'm gonna try some foam weatherstripping on the inside lip of the trunk lid. Won't be noticeable and should do the same thing.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:53 PM
Racer

My resolution

I also had an annoying rattle coming from the trunk area that was driving me crazy. After much investigation I found where the rattle was coming from. The brackets that hold the NAV unit in the trunk were rattling when the subwoofer was turned up and when driving over bumpy roads. I loosened up the bolts, put a small piece of cotton under each bracket, and then tightened the bolts. No more rattle...
BTW, it was at the dealer for the same rattle and after leaving it there for 2 days, they were still unable to fix it.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: My resolution

Originally posted by Tag66
...BTW, it was at the dealer for the same rattle and after leaving it there for 2 days, they were still unable to fix it.
And that surprises you why?
Old 12-19-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro

Where can you find this Trimbridge stuff?
Old 12-19-2001, 03:11 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

It's called Trimbrite (Stick-On) Door Edge Molding. The package comes with 2 pieces of 27" door molding that has a 3M professional-grade adhesive backing. You can get it in clear, black, white, or chrome coloring.

Cost will run about 3-4 dollars depending on what variety you purchase. I bought mine at Kragen, but it's also available at Pepboys, and Napa Auto Parts amongst others.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Alright explain to me exactly what you put this stuff on.

You said it's not on the trunk lid, so where is it?
Old 12-19-2001, 06:33 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

It's hard to explain without a visual aid.. it's hard to get a picture in your head, but if you look at your trunk, you'll notice that there's a strip of metal on which the lip/edge of the trunk lid rests over when it is closed.

In actuality, at rest, the trunk lid is only physically touching the rubber surround (which is supposed to make it air tight). However, some people with systems in their car have noticed that the metal lip beyond the rubber surround vibrates against the metal strip of the upper bumper as a resulf of the low bass frequencies.

The whole idea of this Trimbrite molding is to cover/cushion the strip of metal along the bumper. As a result, the metal lip of the trunk lid will vibrate against the said molding instead of the car body itself, effectively eliminating rattle from that area.

Hopefully, I can post pics soon. The chrome strip looks great and doesnt impair remote trunk opening like I feared it might.