triptronic question + "racing" a g35 story

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
TL noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
triptronic question + "racing" a g35 story

so me and my buddy are going from one grad party to another. he's in his new g35 (latest gen, not sure exactly) and maybe 2 other people in the car, and i'm in my 01 TL with my friend in the front seat.

i pretty much initiate this by passing him on a major street a few hundred feet before the freeway ramp we're going to take. he then takes the lane to the right and flips me off. i know he wants to reassure my belief that he's a narcissistic rich douchebag by beating me to the freeway ramp which is maybe 100 feet away.

so i sit there at the red light thinking what i can do to beat him, knowing that i've got the slower car by about $30,000 or whatever (i got mine salvage title for 8k fyi). so i switch to triptronic (i think that's what it's called) not really knowing what i'm doing thinking that i might have a chance, especially since he's driving automatic. (keep in mind my noobiness when it comes to how cars work....so i'm pretty much trying to decide if its better to shift up sooner or later than my car normally would on AT)

and the light turns green, i decided that it's better to shift later than i think my car would, he's gotten half a car ahead, decides to MERGE into MY FRIKIN LANE, forcing me to brake abruptly so he doesnt ram into my car.

i actually passed him on the freeway going 100 (i know, i'm dangerous) and argue that he might have the faster car but it doesnt matter if he's a pussy driver. the highlight of the day was probably him telling me how he owned me while i was parked and chilling outside of my car while he was just pulling up.

this is probably why young inexperienced drivers should not own fast cars. but i'm shooting myself in the foot here....

SO THE QUESTION IS: how do i use triptronic effectively, and when/why do i use it, and bonus: how does it work exactly.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Racer

in the acura its actually called "sport shift" and basically its a clutchless manual. in our cars as you probably already know, the ecu still shifts from 1st to 2nd automatically and there is no way around this which is unfortunate because IMHO if you're worried about beating somebody off the line, the automatic shift from 1st to 2nd sucks because it shifts too late. if you've never driven a manual before, it is hard to learn how to use sportshift effectively because in a way, it doesnt matter when you shift since. however, the best way to learn is to just 'play around with it'. the later you shift the higher your engine revs which gives more torque but at the same time uses much more gas and obviously if you shift earlier you will accelerate slower but use less gas. i believe our cars were designed with sportshift to be used on those curvy back country roads we all love.. i hope that clears some things up
Old 05-26-2008, 01:50 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to be technical, but it is more of a manually controlled automatic than a clutchless manual. Big difference, but you are on the right track aside from that and I wish 1 to 2 shifted later, not earlier.

Automatic trannies work off of hydraulic pressure engaging the gears (which in our car you have a separate gate to control this) having first traveled through the torque converter. This is all somewhat inefficient as compared to a manual tranny.

Manual trannies are directly linked from input shaft back to the output shaft by gears, real deal gears. So as long as you have a good clutch, you are getting a lot more of your power translated to the ground.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 AM
I have dead hookers in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RE90
so me and my buddy are going from one grad party to another. he's in his new g35 (latest gen, not sure exactly) and maybe 2 other people in the car, and i'm in my 01 TL with my friend in the front seat.

i pretty much initiate this by passing him on a major street a few hundred feet before the freeway ramp we're going to take. he then takes the lane to the right and flips me off. i know he wants to reassure my belief that he's a narcissistic rich douchebag by beating me to the freeway ramp which is maybe 100 feet away.

so i sit there at the red light thinking what i can do to beat him, knowing that i've got the slower car by about $30,000 or whatever (i got mine salvage title for 8k fyi). so i switch to triptronic (i think that's what it's called) not really knowing what i'm doing thinking that i might have a chance, especially since he's driving automatic. (keep in mind my noobiness when it comes to how cars work....so i'm pretty much trying to decide if its better to shift up sooner or later than my car normally would on AT)

and the light turns green, i decided that it's better to shift later than i think my car would, he's gotten half a car ahead, decides to MERGE into MY FRIKIN LANE, forcing me to brake abruptly so he doesnt ram into my car.

i actually passed him on the freeway going 100 (i know, i'm dangerous) and argue that he might have the faster car but it doesnt matter if he's a pussy driver. the highlight of the day was probably him telling me how he owned me while i was parked and chilling outside of my car while he was just pulling up.

this is probably why young inexperienced drivers should not own fast cars. but i'm shooting myself in the foot here....

SO THE QUESTION IS: how do i use triptronic effectively, and when/why do i use it, and bonus: how does it work exactly.

First of all if you do not understand how to use and control your car take it to a track to learn it man. To many people can get hurt because of your ignorance and lack of knowledge with your car. I am in NO way saying i agree with street racing nor giving an opinion on it. Iam simply saying that if you would have done something wrong since you obviously do not know your vehicle you could have hurt yourself your friends and anyone else remotely close to you.

On a side note: you can search on here on the 2gen and 3gen and there are multiple post about TLs and G35. stock for stock good luck beating one for real with someone that knows how to drive a g35.Simply they are faster cars stock for stock
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Personally off the line tiptronic on our cars wont give you a better 0-60 or 1/4 mile. Theres a significant pause between you tapping the stick and the gears switching, on alot of manually controlled automatics its faster just to let the car do it thing. I find that the tiptronic is only useful when down shifting from like 5 to 3 on a highway pass.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 AM
now with 7 gears

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RE90

I've run into douchebags like you all the time on the street. What makes you think you're so righteous anyways? Ever stop to think why he flipped you off when he was just driving along normally? People don't just flip you off for no reason, you were definitely driving like an ass and wanting to do the cheap cut in front of everyone so to speak. Little wonder he put you in your place. And next time when you're down half a car already within 100ft, you should know you damn well got served and give up already.

Driving 100 on the freeway to pass him up? Kid, you should have your license taken away for being stupid. Last thing I need sharing the road with me are 17 year old noobs thinking they're speed racers on the freeway. Honestly, hope you grow up soon or get the fuck off the road.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am going to suggest you not treat your sedan like a race car. The type of driving you just described is how people on their way to a good time get killed.

I'm all for spirited driving, but not when the driver is 17 and doesn't know their car.

Here comes the harsh bit... you're 17, you've been driving for up to 2 years. You don't have ANY experience when it comes to emergency situations. You're a risk to the people in your car and anyone within a few miles of you.

If you're ever coming through the East Bay, PM me. I'll tell my family to stay off the road ways. Seriously.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:40 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisnotdave
Personally off the line tiptronic on our cars wont give you a better 0-60 or 1/4 mile. Theres a significant pause between you tapping the stick and the gears switching, on alot of manually controlled automatics its faster just to let the car do it thing. I find that the tiptronic is only useful when down shifting from like 5 to 3 on a highway pass.
In regards to the pause between SS shifts, it's not that hard to get used to the delay and plan your shifts accordingly. If you know the pause is coming, just shift a little earlier than you need to so the delay makes the car shift right when you want to. This does seem a little confusing and kind of pointless but there is a way around your "dilemma". IMO, it's just easier to gate shift anyway.

As far as the times when to use SS, I think it is mostly for back country driving (like someone else already said earlier) when you want to keep it in a certain gear while heading through the curves. Instead of having to double tap it down from 5th to 3rd I can just rev match putting it straight to 3rd from 5th. Power at your fingertips is awesome.

Originally Posted by Viscous
What makes you think you're so righteous anyways? Ever stop to think why he flipped you off when he was just driving along normally? People don't just flip you off for no reason, you were definitely driving like an ass and wanting to do the cheap cut in front of everyone so to speak.
If you read his post (which I assumed you did) you would see that the G35 driver was a buddy of his and was just flipping him off because they were messin with each other on the road and knew they were about to race.

To the OP's question: you do have to learn your car to see how it reacts to your physical input and I suggest you do so at the track. If you're too broke (like I am) just do this on back roads where there is no one else around not on a busy highway with other cars around. This is the kind of story that leads to us reading about you on the news.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

Damn way to go showing him up

NOTE: this forum will flame the shit outta you

after 2d gear your car halls ass anyway u cutt it but when u wanna really get some speed sport shift is what u should b in

i go from 45 to about 110 so quick in SS then reg auto....

drop it high rev then shift is what i do

Ever on the east coast welcome to race me

People need to just listenn and answer the question

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS
Old 05-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Seriously ... a stock current gen G35 will spank a stock 2nd gen TL 9999 times out of 10,000. More HP and torque ... only a newbie with a manual transmission will lose that race (all things being equal).

On a forum like this ... don't try to claim a 'win' for street racing. If you want advice on how to pull faster 0-60 or 1/4 mile times ... different story.

Some have already given you advice on how to do that (ie learn the lag time between gear shifting, gate-shifting, etc). You just need to find a safe place to practice all that.

Other questions:
2) When / why use tiptronic -- marketing tool to get the 'best of both worlds' experience ... but nothing can duplicate the feeling of using a clutch and actually rowing through real gears. New systems (like DSG, etc) the computer shifts faster than any human on earth but the lack of driver input has some 'purists' to cry foul.

3) How does it work? Already described by others.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
street racing is illegal..
Old 05-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Race Director

bad
Old 05-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Unregistered user

Originally Posted by pffpffpass
street racing is illegal..
aftermarket parts w/o carb is illegal too =D
Old 05-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

Honestly.....who follows all the rules.....
Old 05-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Honda Nation

Originally Posted by IlovemyAcura
Honestly.....who follows all the rules.....
No one does... even all those people who where hatin on the guy who started the threat. We have all done our fair share of stupidity ... let the kid learn the hard way... seems to be the only way people learn these days.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:21 PM
I have dead hookers in

I wasnt hatin on the guy. i have street raced before the only difference was i knew my car. Did it make it any safer kinda but not really. I was just suggesting to learn your car before you do something, make a mistake and lose your car and even your life and possibly someone elses. thats all.

If you know your ride and you wanna race then more power to ya. Just always think.Safety First.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viscous
I've run into douchebags like you all the time on the street. What makes you think you're so righteous anyways? Ever stop to think why he flipped you off when he was just driving along normally? People don't just flip you off for no reason, you were definitely driving like an ass and wanting to do the cheap cut in front of everyone so to speak. Little wonder he put you in your place. And next time when you're down half a car already within 100ft, you should know you damn well got served and give up already.

Driving 100 on the freeway to pass him up? Kid, you should have your license taken away for being stupid. Last thing I need sharing the road with me are 17 year old noobs thinking they're speed racers on the freeway. Honestly, hope you grow up soon or get the fuck off the road.

Very true
....But DAM lol
Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

LOL, that only applies in Cali.

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
aftermarket parts w/o carb is illegal too =D
EDIT: whoops, the 17 year old is from san jose california. :P
If you see a lowered debadged 2nd gen ABP TL with Type-S rims, don't try to race it. I'll rip you a new one.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:50 PM
TL noob

i guess i'd rather be flamed for my admitted stupidity than get a ticket for it haha.

psh i'm invulnerable anyways.

but in my defense, i was the one who prevented the accident. then again...there's really no excuse.

oh and thanks for all the feedback on sport shift
Old 05-26-2008, 06:53 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
if u shift from 1st to 2nd manually and u let off the gas at about 6700rpm or so and u shift and slam the gas again u could actually chirp. u have to do it very quickly though. ive done it many many times. letting the car shift by its self wont chirp from 1st to2nd.

i also beat a 05 (i think its an 05) g35 manual 4 times in a row when i had a properly working trans. all i have was k&n filter, g35 had an aem cai.