Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2000, 03:33 PM

Post Transmission question

Okay I posted this question in the technical help section, but not too many people seem to go there, so I will post it here as well as I need feedback bad!

I got my car back from the body shop today. My car had been in an accident, where almost everything in front of the engine was damaged, and all parts were replaced with new. I have about 7800KM on my 99TL. I was checking the car today after getting it from the shop, everything looks good and works well except I noticed that when I am in automatic mode, it wont shift into the 1 gear, it will go into park, neutral, d4, D3, 2, but not 1. Am I correct in assuming that this is a problem? The transmission seems very jerky. Could something have damaged it in the accident? although I didn't get hit near the transmission. What could be the problem? By the way when I had the accident, apparently a master fuse blew on the car, because the alternator or something touched the engine. This caused the car to shut down in drive and I had a complete electrical failure. We popped the shift lock cap to try to release the gear shift so that we could shift it into park, but it wouldn't go. I think that was because the key was still turned all the way on, which we couldn't even budge.
Old 11-25-2000, 05:37 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
When they towed your vehicle away, was it still in park?

This is definitely a problem, the shifting linkage might be messed up. You should definitely have a dealer check it out.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 11-26-2000, 02:19 AM

Hi AcuraTL,

Thanks for your reply. I tried all night tonight to get it into 1 and couldn't. I think I might have bent the stick slightly too from the effort LOL!. Jeez, I hate playing with hard sticks that just don't want to go in . Anyway jokes aside (you gotta have a sense of humor, especially after dealing with all the problems I have had with this car in the last year), when they towed the car, the car was stuck in Drive. After I got hit in the accident and the car just shut down, I couldn't shift gears, turn off the car, or take my key out of the ignition. I tried using the shift lock thing to release the shifter, but that wouldn't work either. So they towed it with the car in drive. Could that have screwed things up? or the accident? If that part you said is screwed up, do I need a new transmission? I noticed tonight driving, that I was having problems accelerating on the highway in 3rd gear. Very slow acceleration, even when I tried to floor it. Generally speaking the car doesn't seem to be as fast, or as smooth when shifting either. When I downshift sometimes the compression from the engine slows the car right down, other times it doesn't do anything.

Old 11-26-2000, 02:39 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
You know what, I was incorrect. If you towed your vehicle with your vehicle facing the opposite direction, then it would damage the transmission. If they just towed it normally pointing straight, then it won't since the TL is a front wheel drive vehicle.

Well, if your car won't even shift out of drive after it got hit, then the transmission problemis definitely caused by the accident. I would take it to the dealer right away and notify your insurance company.