Transmission Problems (electrical?) After Swap, 2003 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Problems (electrical?) After Swap, 2003 TL-S

Long time lurker, first time poster...

So, I recently had the dreaded transmission failure with the usual symptoms: hard shifting, loud noises, burning tranny fluid smell, D5 light blinking, codes for torque converter/pressure switches hitting...etc. We were able to find another transmission for cheap that had been rebuilt from a 2000 TL-S and swapped it out. It seems to be a step up except we're having issues that seem to be electrical, but I can't figure it out. I've tried to search this site and others but I haven't come across a similar problem.

What's Happening:
-D5 light blinking, triangle/exclamation point light on, VSA light on
-Check engine light on, but only O2 sensor comes up (pre-existing)
-Sport shift not working
-Shifting manually through the gears, it seems like all we have is 1st and 3rd
-Taking off in D3, D4 or D5 goes super slow (like it's in 3rd)
-Shifting from 1st to 3rd is sudden, but not very rough
-It seems to go to neutral when you let go of the gas while driving
-Driven about 100 miles with current condition, no issues other than that
-Reverse works fine

What We've Tried:
-Cleaning and replacing shift solenoids
-ECU reset (gas pedal depressed 30s with key in 2nd position method)
-Double checked all sensors to ensure proper installation and engagement
-Fluid level is fine, fluid is still clean

I'm not sure where to go from here, other than replacing the sensors one-by-one but I'd like to get some opinions if you don't mind. I figure there might be some issue with backwards compatibility with the ECU, or that my ECU might be fried. I also have seen the "transmission computer" mentioned somewhere but I have no idea where that is located. Bought the repair manual hoping it would shed some light but it hasn't really helped. I have a one-year warranty with full refund for return, but I really don't think it's mechanical at this point.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Go over all your existing wring and cable hook up again. Make sure the range switch is on correctly. The ECU is what controls the trans, there isnt a separate computer for that. Unless the ECU was fried before hand its not fried now. There is NO backward compatibility issues. Trans are all the same.

That isnt the way to reset the ECU, you need to pull the clock backup fuse to reset it, or use a scanner. If its not operating correctly with the D5 blinking and triangle light up there should be a code. Are you using a code reader to check for codes?
Old 01-31-2016, 02:51 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Go over all your existing wring and cable hook up again. Make sure the range switch is on correctly. The ECU is what controls the trans, there isnt a separate computer for that. Unless the ECU was fried before hand its not fried now. There is NO backward compatibility issues. Trans are all the same.

That isnt the way to reset the ECU, you need to pull the clock backup fuse to reset it, or use a scanner. If its not operating correctly with the D5 blinking and triangle light up there should be a code. Are you using a code reader to check for codes?
We are using a code reader but the only thing coming up is O2 sensor. I'll go down to autozone and use theirs, see if anything else shows.

I'll check the range switch and go over connections again. Is there a tranny diagram available somewhere online? I wanna make sure I get the right switch.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mexiwont
We are using a code reader but the only thing coming up is O2 sensor. I'll go down to autozone and use theirs, see if anything else shows.

I'll check the range switch and go over connections again. Is there a tranny diagram available somewhere online? I wanna make sure I get the right switch.
service manual has everything and beyond what you need transmission wise. all step by step too.

useful diagnostics section for figuring out what's wrong in a situation like this...
Old 01-31-2016, 06:37 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by thelastaspec
service manual has everything and beyond what you need transmission wise. all step by step too.

useful diagnostics section for figuring out what's wrong in a situation like this...
I should clarify that I got the Haynes manual, didn't seem very in depth. I'm trying to find the factory service manual but I keep getting dead links. Anyone got a PDF?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 PM
4th Gear

Problem Solved, Solenoid C

So, I checked the connections and noticed clutch solenoid C was on a little weird. Turns out the connector on the solenoid was cracked. Tried to ohm it out, it was no good. Replaced it and it solved all my problems. Woot!

Thanks for your help guys, hopefully this will be the last swap I have to do while I own it.