Transmission, PCM or something else

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts

But he seems to be in a financial pinch right now.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karanx7
I have never seen an ECU failure on this forum. Ever.
But is it a possibilty(like a few people have told me) that the fabricated part fried the computer? In that case it wouldn't really have failed on it's own - he just messed it up.

I don't have the money for the swap or that's what I would do.

The mechanic did rebuild the transmission correctly the first time. Did he do a great job that lasted a long time? No, but it worked fine (with no problems whatsoever) for 22,000 miles so I know he's capable of at least doing a crappy rebuild. He literally had no idea why it was still having problems. The shift problems before weren't intermittent. It was all the time which is what is making me think it's not the transmission itself. Well that and the code that says PCM Internal Circuit Malfunctrion.

When I texted the shop (cause they wont speak with me on the phone b/c they're on vacation) and said I had heard from multiple people that his fabricated part may have caused damage to the PCM - they brought up that the car had been over warranty but said nothing about how it wasn't a possibility that part could have caused it. I know that if I was worried people were going to bring me to court if it wasn't a possibility those would be the first words out of my mouth. That it couldn't be possible for that to have happened They were completely silent on that just kept saying the car was over warranty which has nothing to do with a fabricated part.

I don't even know where to start troubleshooting the damn thing. Open to suggestions.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
If you want to throw money at the trans then the first thing to do is change the fabricated part back to an original part and see what happens. A used original part is acceptable.

Last edited by 01acls; 07-21-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,752 Likes on 6,750 Posts
Why did you create a new thread? One is enough so people have the full picture.. merging.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Jesus.. come to look at it, ALL your threads are regarding the same issue...
Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Jesus.. come to look at it, ALL your threads are regarding the same issue...
Did you just notice? LOL.

Think we could get enough members to pitch in for an AV6?
Old 07-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by Jessie Trimborn
I know I saw a link to a service manual at some point on here and of course when I need it can't find the link.
Here is the link to the 2G TL Service Manual. It is an invaluable source of information. To say the least, in your articulate post writing, you appear to have the aptitude for 'attention to detail'; with that said, the manual will prove to be a further reinforcing trove of detailed information in your pursuit of a remedy.

Download 99-03 Acura TL Service Manual pdf

Cut and paste into your browser the above address. (Thanks to Karanx7)
Up in the right hand corner it may tell you to wait a few seconds.
Then keep pressing 'Skip Ad'.
X out of any garbage you get bombarded with until the download screen comes up with your PDF manual. It's about 797.1MB.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-776021/page2/

Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Well this is the first time we've really gotten our hands on the car and asked how to do things ourselves.

Someone I don't know if it was in this forum or another told me to start different threads because they were asking different questions as we learned more of what's was fixed and going on in the car. It's been over the last month so it's been ongoing as things have happened. All the threads address different things - the first was asking if it sounded like the shop did anything wrong, one about what would happen if you spill in the shifter, one about the price of a swap. Did stuff get repeated - yes but people generally asked questions so I went more into depth. If I'm not supposed to do that sorry - bad advice from someone. I've never worked on a transmission so I'm struggling to understand everything and more questions keep coming up. People told me if I put it in the same thread people probably wouldn't see it. Got it - keep in one thread. Noted from now on.

Thanks for service manual. We're in over our head but I guess everyone has got to start somewhere, right?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Hopefully someone see this but I don't want to start another thread and piss anyone off. We had another mechanic (bartered for a/c work) who's taken apart the transmission both he and the crappy rebuild mechanic can't find anything wrong with the transmission.

if it's not the transmission what could it be? The new mechanic is guessing a short or possibly the PCM. I know you guys are saying PCM failure is rare. Where would guys start if everyone is saying it's not the transmission?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Did you just notice? LOL.

Think we could get enough members to pitch in for an AV6?

Yeah.. silly me . They're all merged now!

Jessie... Just get an AV6 swap and call it a day.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Yeah.. silly me . They're all merged now!

Jessie... Just get an AV6 swap and call it a day.
I know the swap has to come down the line but what if everyone is saying it's not my transmission? I get the incompetent mechanic but another one? He thinks it's caused by the 1st mechanic (he thinks it's the PCM) neither can find anything wrong in the actual transmission. Both have ripped the entire thing apart and I saw the parts the first mechanic bought (with his own cash) but said there was jack wrong with it so he put it back together.

If I do a swap (which will take a few months to save for of which I will be car less) and the problem isn't in the transmission - it will still be broke. Can both of them really be wrong? The chances of that can't be that high. I mean the transmission can't be that damn complicated can it?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

From a quick search, the ECM/PCM part number(s) are (there may be more) :
'02 TL-S; 37820-PGE-A61; 37820-PXG-A52
'02 TL-P; 37820-P8E-A62; 37820-P8E-L62

Here is a suggestion to consider:

For the time being, if you opt to go the less expensive ECM/PGM route, use car-part.com (use term Engine Computer) and search your local area/zip code (South Florida?) to get an idea of how much one will cost you (as low as $50 from what I have seen); however, make sure you search for one compatible TO YOUR SPECIFIC CAR MODEL because they are different. The car-part.com website windows will ask you to delineate between a 3.2L (Base) or 3.2 (Type-S) for the search. In addition, if you find one that you are interested in and give that info. to the shop to purchase, you will be able to minimize the 'up-charging' to you, by them, by knowing the cost beforehand.

In addition, like 01acls stated in post #83, you should also repair the 'FABRICATED' part that the first mechanic 'rigged' with a functioning 'low cost' used part, also from a salvage yard. Once you find out just exactly what that part is, come back on here and tell everyone so that we can help you, if possible. For one, I'm very interested to see what part it is. The reason is, if that 'rigged' part had ANYTHING to do with causing a premature malfunction with the current ECM/PCM, you don't want to FRY your new one with that 'rigged' part STILL IN PLACE.

Maybe this quick fix will get you back on the road temporarily until you can either ditch the car or save for an AV6 trans swap. Unfortunately, that is the hard reality of it, sorry.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

^
BTW, try and get the ignition key that went to the salvage car where the 'new' ECM/PCM was harvested from because there may be an added cost of reprogramming your keys to activate the 'immobilizer'.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:32 AM
Intermediate

Thanks. I wish I would have known about the swap before I rebuilt it the first time - but live and learn. Thanks so much again for all the info about the PCM. I know the fabricated part is supposedly the shift linkage but now the shop is trying to say they never did that (and it was just a huge miscommunication). They're probably just trying to start covering their asses but I'm assuming that it shouldn't be too hard to determine once I see the part.

If anyone happens to have a pic of theirs from their repairs I would appreciate it. I have an idea from searching online and YouTube videos but an actual pic for this generation of Acura would be helpful.

I will for sure post when we figure out what it is. Hopefully it will help anyone who ever has a similar problem. I'll try to get pics and post the process of whatever we end up doing.

We've gotten the code of death for the transmission (it's not coming up now but was prior) so I know there's still a possibility I will have to do a swap sooner rather than later. I'm not sure why no one can find a problem with the transmission but then again I'm not an expert. Transmission failure should be fairly easy to spot when it's apart, right?
Old 07-24-2017, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jessie Trimborn
I know the fabricated part is supposedly the shift linkage but now the shop is trying to say they never did that (and it was just a huge miscommunication). They're probably just trying to start covering their asses but I'm assuming that it shouldn't be too hard to determine once I see the part.
The link below shows the anatomy of the 'Shift Lever' for an '02 TL-P.

Part #19, 54315-S0K-A82 'Control Wire' could be what THEY are refferring to OR any other part, for that matter, you see on the diagram as 'Shift Linkage'. That's why it's important to narrow it down. Put pressure on them, print out the parts diagram and have the wizards point which item(s) it really is.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...ect-lever-scat

Furthermore, the link below shows all of the OEM parts 'categories' for the '02 TL-P auto transmission for reference. LOL, don't pay attention to the prices for now. When time permits, go through them for familiarization. If you don't understand what they (the mechanics) are talking about with you at times, have a printed copy of each 'category' available and make them point out what it is they are talking about and take notes to remind yourself later.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...-automatic-cat
Old 12-02-2017, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys...:l