Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Hey 01acls thought you might enjoy this website, guy goes deep with this topic.
TransCooler
The following users liked this post:
01acls (06-27-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
those post are from 2011, whats that got to do with our situation on replacements?
Were they all running dw1 or still using zr1 from back in the day?

Hey Yikes- blue bolt heads means warranty unit- the 2nd gear oil jet kit being internal- meaning there is a large bolt on top of trans with ATF stamped on it for refilling trans = post 05 case change
If there is a hose and thing in that hole - pre-2005 case
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
our mega moderator fsttyms1 went thru 5 count em 5 auto trans replacements, or rebuilds done himself
The 3 that failed the earliest had an aux oil cooler~
Old 06-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
those post are from 2011, whats that got to do with our situation on replacements?
Were they all running dw1 or still using zr1 from back in the day?

Hey Yikes- blue bolt heads means warranty unit- the 2nd gear oil jet kit being internal- meaning there is a large bolt on top of trans with ATF stamped on it for refilling trans = post 05 case change
If there is a hose and thing in that hole - pre-2005 case
LOL. "Those post are from 2011, whats that got to do with our situation on replacements?". Really???

1. 06/07 av6 are the trans you are telling people to use from the junk yard.

2. That post specifically talks about 06/07 av6 trans issues from the owners of 06/07 av6s, not from "Acurazine Experts". I believe 06/07 av6 owners trumps Acurazine Expersts in this case.

3. Issues was brought up in 2011. It will only get worse from there. The more years, the more miles will be accumulated. With a conservative estimate of 15,000 miles per year, the trans missions that av6 advocates are recommending may have anywhere from 100,000 miles to 150,000+ miles on them. That is a lot of miles on any transmission. Transmissions wear like any manical devise but, even more so.

4. If it survives the wear and tear how about the trans sitting in the junk yard with the fluilds drying up in all the nooks and crannies/solenoids/valves, passages.

5. Maintenance, or the lack of it. Not every owner does 3x3 fluid changes/filter changes. You'll be lucky if 50 percent of owners do preventive maintenance.

6. Chances are that the last thing that trans saw was a major accident while in gear causing the vehicle being totaled and the trans being junked.

7. No one can make a claim that the av6 transmission sitting in the junk yard is in good running condition until it's put in a vehicle and test driven. Period.

I think it's irresponsible for people to say just do a av6 swap and you'll go to transmission heaven. There is a lot to consider before hand and a lot of money on the line. People come here for sound professional advise. If not professional, then sound advise. That's just not good advise.

I have nothing against the av6 swap per-say. I just think you should tell the whole story and not just do this and i'ts golden.

01tl4tl, I LOVE YOU MAN! LOL

PS... DW1 came on line around 2011.

Last edited by 01acls; 06-26-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
^
Some points to be considered:

1.- AV6 doesn't have anywhere the failure rate of the B7WA

2.- AV6 has a re-designed interior which prevents ATF dry out in the 3rd clutch pack which is our main concern.

3.- AV6 being in a newer car has probably less mileage than the TL is now being put on and granted we don't know the previous maintenance of that transmission but given the failure rates? I rather take my chances with that than rebuilding the B7WA again.

4.- If you are buying of online expect at least to buy from a seller with good warranty otherwise buying a toasted trans is BUYER error.. Junkyards in general doesn't give a crap to test the trans so buying directly from them expect at least some knowledge from the buyer.

5.- And most important.. The AV6 failure rate is astronomically low compared to the B7WA.... I don't care if the trans is sitting toasted in the junkyard, I would just rebuild it and swap it because I know its not going to commit suicide with normal maintenance as my current trans will.

Only because of that the AV6 trans sells itself, If we applied normal logic:

What should a normal person say is: "Sell the car after the trans dies, Is not worth the money and probably your time to fix it! that car is less than 4-5K in blue book so rebuilding the trans for 3K is insane, You are now fucked by your horrible car buying decision".

Our Logic:
What Acurazine members say: "Dude we know it sucks, Trans failures are something we would expect from a Ford not a Honda.. We know your pockets are suffering but at least let us give you some comfort in telling you; there is a better transmission out there that will not die just from going to the groceries"...
The AV6 is the most economical way to fix the issue (And it is considering rebuild costs).

Last edited by Skirmich; 06-26-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skirmich
^
Some points to be considered:

1.- AV6 doesn't have anywhere the failure rate of the B7WA

2.- AV6 has a re-designed interior which prevents ATF dry out in the 3rd clutch pack which is our main concern.

3.- AV6 being in a newer car has probably less mileage than the TL is now being put on and granted we don't know the previous maintenance of that transmission but given the failure rates? I rather take my chances with that than rebuilding the B7WA again.

4.- If you are buying of online expect at least to buy from a seller with good warranty otherwise buying a toasted trans is BUYER error.. Junkyards in general doesn't give a crap to test the trans so buying directly from them expect at least some knowledge from the buyer.

5.- And most important.. The AV6 failure rate is astronomically low compared to the B7WA.... I don't care if the trans is sitting toasted in the junkyard, I would just rebuild it and swap it because I know its not going to commit suicide with normal maintenance as my current trans will.

Only because of that the AV6 trans sells itself, If we applied normal logic:

What should a normal person say is: "Sell the car after the trans dies, Is not worth the money and probably your time to fix it! that car is less than 4-5K in blue book so rebuilding the trans for 3K is insane, You are now fucked by your horrible car buying decision".

Our Logic:
What Acurazine members say: "Dude we know it sucks, Trans failures are something we would expect from a Ford not a Honda.. We know your pockets are suffering but at least let us give you some comfort in telling you; there is a better transmission out there that will not die just from going to the groceries"...
The AV6 is the most economical way to fix the issue (And it is considering rebuild costs).
I'll make this crystal clear. Anwser the following Question.

After I install an av6 swap from a junk yard can you tell me now with a 100% certainty that my car drive will drive normally?

Your honest answer is no.

If not why am I spending my money and time? To do this?

Sure you might get a warrany but, what good is the warranty if I have to pull the trans back out to use it? And then install another one?

$4000 is a lot of money but not as much as buying new car.

Last edited by 01acls; 06-26-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
I'll make this crystal clear. Anwser the following Question.

After I install an av6 swap from a junk yard can you tell me now with a 100% certainty that my car drive will drive normally?

Your honest answer is no.

If not why am I spending my money and time? To do this?

Sure you might get a warrany but, what good is the warranty if I have to pull the trans back out to use it? And then install another one?

$4000 is a lot of money but not as much as buying new car.
Clearly you're against the swap, we see that. So pay the huge amount for a rebuild then. Then again in 50,000 miles. Then again 50,000 after that and enjoy your theory.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
Clearly you're against the swap, we see that. So pay the huge amount for a rebuild then. Then again in 50,000 miles. Then again 50,000 after that and enjoy your theory.
Lets say you are right I get 50,000 miles. That's still better that getting a bad trans for $1500 dollars. LOL
Old 06-26-2015, 06:47 PM

Am I confident enough to say if you buy a used cracked case trans with dark ATF on it will play flawlessly after the Swap? OBVIOUSLY NOT!
I am not there with you to assess the trans condition. The AV6 I bought had only 67K on the ODO and the car it was parted with was rear ended, The ATF smelled good and it was cherry red which says enough for me...

I'm confident in saying that if you know what your doing you can swap a working unit with a higher reliability history instead of spending more money in a money pit which is the B7WA... That I can Guarantee You.

I don't know if that is your concern OR IF the AV6 works as intended on the TL? Because your question is a little bit vague.
Does it matter where it comes from? your question is if the AV6 Swap is Legit and Works?

Because if that is your question then YES! Honda trans Swaps are nothing new and a Trans Swap from another car which shares the same platform makes it even easier and Plug & Play.

Last edited by Skirmich; 06-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Drifting

1st false statement.

"I'm confident in saying that if you know what your doing you can swap a working unit with a higher reliability history instead of spending more money in a money pit which is the B7WA... That I can Guarantee You."

Your above statement is total false. How would you know that is a working unit? Fluids will just tell you fluid condition. Not indication of a working unit. Not possible. You're assuming it's a working unit. Just because you say that all the time doesn't make it true.

2nd false statement.

"Because if that is your question then YES! Honda trans Swaps are nothing new and a Trans Swap from another car which shares the same platform makes it even easier and Plug & Play."

As for the swap they don't seem to work on all swaps. People have done swaps and their cars would throw a code for no reason or CEL. Just because you say that all the time doesn't make it true.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:28 PM

Well that paranoia will get you nowhere....
So the owner of said transmission got rear ended with its trans completely fucked up, Sounds WAY MORE LEGIT to you at least.

And second what about the people that didn't get CEL or OBDII Codes after the Swap? were they lying? Do you know HUMAN ERROR? Its a swap not a battery change.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Well that paranoia will get you nowhere....
So the owner of said transmission got rear ended with its trans completely fucked up, Sounds WAY MORE LEGIT to you at least.

And second what about the people that didn't get CEL or OBDII Codes after the Swap? were they lying? Do you know HUMAN ERROR?
That is fact so not paranoia. It's not unreasonable for someone to question what they are getting in return for their $1000+ investment.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:38 PM

Fact? how can you give for granted the trans is death? there are no reason for a car that got REAR ENDED for its trans to be damaged...
Its like having a bump to bump hit and saying the whole car is totaled because well? You never know...

I for one had lots of business with Junkyards, From Engines to Miscellaneous parts and never got a defective one... Got 2x LS out of Junkyards and they are currently in my family sand rails no hiccups. I cant be the only person in the WORLD which had good luck on junkyards buddy.

Perhaps you live in a world were you can only act if you got guarantees... Damn I hope you never have to trust a doctor for operation, Because they cant give you a single guarantee even with a Master´s Degree.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Drifting

"And second what about the people that didn't get CEL or OBDII Codes after the Swap? were they lying? Do you know HUMAN ERROR? Its a swap not a battery change."

I take the above as true but you have a responsibility to tell both sides in a form setting. Something like the last sentence above and include the cons. However, if they get a bad trans, human error is irrelevant. Tell them everything don't just tell them the pros and not the cons.

People come here looking for guidance. They could be noobs, don't know anything about cars. They see your experience and take your word as gold. Just saying.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Drifting

"Fact? how can you give for granted the trans is death? there are no reason for a car that got REAR ENDED for its trans to be damaged...
Its like having a bump to bump hit and saying the whole car is totaled because well? You never know..."

I'm not assuming the use trans are death. My point is no one knows until it's put in car and test driven, as stated before. That's a lot of work, a lot of money, and a lot of down time.

Trans swaps are not like buying a use starter. You don't just remove and replace willy-nilly.

Don't know anything about LS but we all know that Honda V6 trans are hit or miss.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:58 PM

If said people are noobs they wont be doing any swaps themselves, they will let other people do the swaps from them that have the knowledge to pick a working trans out of a junkyard.

The thing is to recommend the AV6 INSTEAD of a Rebuild which is the whole point of this conversation.
Guys doing the AV6 already did rebuilds, they don't work...
The B7WA is fundamentally design flawed and will die again regardless of maintenance.
The AV6 is the only viable option for people who want to keep their car moving, Besides being the cheaper option anyway..

So in summary if you don't have the confidence of picking a trans out of a junkyard? You are not prepared to do a trans swap by yourself.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
I remember mentioning "Rebuild and Update" not just rebuild of course its going to die.
The valves fix the problem with 3rd clutch pack burn up and also fixes the lack of lubrication on 2nd gear by blocking off the Lube exhaust port. < Thats all in the articles.
Honda does not sell the valve alone but its already in the 06-07 AV6

The torque converter issue is still present on the AV6 but wont show up as fast as it did in the B7WA since theres not as much material falling off the clutch packs plugging up the filter.
The following users liked this post:
01acls (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 01:28 AM
Drifting

1. False statement

"If said people are noobs they wont be doing any swaps themselves, they will let other people do the swaps from them that have the knowledge to pick a working trans out of a junkyard."

Fact, people are bringing transmissions to the trans shop to do the swaps. Shop are not going to junk yards for trans.

The truth is the real experts want nothing to do with junk yard trans. In this case the real experts are the trans builder themselves. Everyone should listen to them if no one else. They truly are the experts on this subject.

2nd False statement

"The thing is to recommend the AV6 INSTEAD of a Rebuild which is the whole point of this conversation. "

I don't care if you recommend the av6 swap or not. I only care if someone gives false statements, misinformation, or bias information.

3rd False statement

"Guys doing the AV6 already did rebuilds, they don't work... "

Fact, 90 percent of all 2g acura tl/cl on the road are running on rebuilt transmissions. The av6 is the exception not the norm. If your statement were true the 2g acura cl/tl would be extinct.

4th False statement

"The B7WA is fundamentally design flawed and will die again regardless of maintenance."

The av6 have design flaws too. Fact, the av6 testimonials noted starting with post #39 & #57 above.

Fact, 90 percent of all 2g acura tl/cl on the road are running on rebuilt transmissions. The av6 is the exception not the norm. If your statement were true the 2g acura cl/tl would be extinct.

5th False statement

"The AV6 is the only viable option for people who want to keep their car moving, Besides being the cheaper option anyway.."

Cheaper? That's debatable. Not if you happen to get a faulty trans, then you would need to do it twice. Faulty as in defective in a gear or two.

6th False statement

"So in summary if you don't have the confidence of picking a trans out of a junkyard? You are not prepared to do a trans swap by yourself."

Fact, no one can tell if a transmission is go or not by just looking at it. Period.

You have no way of knowing what I'm capable of or not. I chose to keep my private information private. I could tell you but, then I'll have to kill you. LOL

Last edited by 01acls; 06-27-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:21 AM

^ Just to clear something out.. There are no such thing as "FALSE STATEMENTS" all of them are based on my opinions and OPINIONS cant be true or false.
FACTS on the other way can be false but I haven't pointed facts have I?

Funny thing.. You haven't given a Single FACT and that is a Fact.
Experience > Your Opinion

Keep rebuilding for all I care, I'm done with this.

Last edited by Skirmich; 06-27-2015 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:53 AM
Drifting

^ Just to clear something out.. There are no such thing as "FALSE STATEMENTS" all of them are based on my opinions and OPINIONS cant be true or false.
FACTS on the other way can be false but I haven't pointed facts have I?

Funny thing.. You haven't given a Single FACT and that is a Fact.
Experience > Your Opinion

Keep rebuilding for all I care, I'm done with this.
It's clear alright. It clearly does not state in your post #56 that those statements are "IMO".
Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Fact: many people have done this swap with much success, including myself over 1000 miles ago.

Fact: I only paid 750 for the trans.

Fact: many people have gone the rebuild route and had the trans fail multiple times in warranty period then again after warranty is up as well.

Fact: you can do what you want with your car but if/when you have to do another rebuild you're gonna start leaning in the direction of AV6 swap.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Fact: many people have done this swap with much success, including myself over 1000 miles ago.

Fact: I only paid 750 for the trans.

Fact: many people have gone the rebuild route and had the trans fail multiple times in warranty period then again after warranty is up as well.

Fact: you can do what you want with your car but if/when you have to do another rebuild you're gonna start leaning in the direction of AV6 swap.
Correct except for the last one. I'm not convince of the av6. Not a gambling man. When I can get a sure thing... rather pay more for a sure thing.

One question. I want to know what are your thoughs on the failed av6 swaps?

Anyone please?

Last edited by 01acls; 06-30-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Another question. At what mileage is it no longer feasable for the av6 swap?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Rebuilding a flawed unit is a much of a gamble to me. If you search you can find all kinds of AV6 trans out there. I used carfax and picked one that died in a rear end collision
Old 06-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Rebuilding a flawed unit is a much of a gamble to me. If you search you can find all kinds of AV6 trans out there. I used carfax and picked one that died in a rear end collision
There is no gamble thats for the shop to worry about.

Not sure if you know but I ask you a question?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you want to give the shop your money so bad why not rebuild the AV6?? Mine had 87,000 on it pretty much same as the car. I'm not sure if there's a mileage it wouldn't be feasible at but I would get lowest miles possible. Personally 100k would be too much for me.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Drifting

That would be counter productive and cost a extra $750 more than just rebuilding my current trans.

One would have to find an av6 and then bring it to the shop. If you can find one that will do it. Then hope the av6 is comparable. I know you guys say it is but some people have issues with it throwing codes, some shudders, who knows what else. I for one are not going to go through all that and pay an extra $750.

The other thing too is the shop probably will not warranty something like that. That trans dons't belong in the acura. Also if something were to happen to the trans which car would you diagnose it as, a honda or acura?

I have three hondas.

03 v6 accord original trans went 240K. On second trans now. It did get the recall 2nd gear jet kit at under 5k I think, can't remember exactly it's been so long. The car drives excellent.

cl little over 100k, dealer replaced trans at 65k. car drives perfect, just broken in I think. lol

tl at 199k, on second trans. Got it used, the trans was replaced at 80k by previous owner (not by dealer). Car drives near perfect now. Trans was shudding from 3-4 gear. Replaced the 4th gear solenoid and C shift solenoid. Currently there's slight shudder shifting 2-3 once in a blue moon. Will change 3rd gear solenoid at next oil change as preventive maintenance. I don't see this trans going out any time soon.

BTW there is a big difference in build quality from the honda vs the acura. The acura stays tight wheres the honda was never really tight to begin with.

Last edited by 01acls; 07-01-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Why wouldn't they warranty their own rebuild??? You'd diagnose it as a transmission issue. It would go the same no matter what. Just say you don't want to do it and be done. Like I said, I'm over 1000 miles in on mine and 750 dollars is a lot less than 3400 so yea.

Last edited by MilwaukeeDave; 07-02-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Drifting

They will warranty the av6 itself but not if you put it in another car.

Ie I put a av6 in a chevy. Why won't they warranty that?

To them its an unknown. Why would they warranty something they don't want nothing to do with?

And not even if you name drop... Acurazine.

Nothing against av6 there is a better way. Rebuilt. People been rebuilting for the life of these cars. 2g tl/cl did not survive for 15 years and counting because rebuilts don't work. That's not possible. That is the truth, that is fact.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Drifting

The last statement is not from me that is history.