Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission Issue

My transmission has failed at 65k miles. I took it to the dealership and they are saying that my transmission is not covered by the recall (although, i got the notice a few years ago). I can't find the notice and the lady called me asking for my maintenance work completed proof.

1. Can someone show me a website that shows if my VIN is covered?
2. Why does someone need to see my maintenance schedule (since I did most of the work myself) when none of it requires maintenance of the tranny?
3. Who can I call to see if they will "Goodwill Replace" my tranny?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Grippin' Grain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call Acura client care services. I had mine replaced in Dec and it wasnt covered and thats one of the first things they asked for at the Stealership was all of my previous maint records. Unfortunately I never had any tranny issues until it went bad so I was at around 119k miles with no complaints on file. I was lucky enough for them to pay half of the replacement being that they didnt really have to pay anything due to the mileage and a '99 model.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
To answer #1:
http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

I think I read somewhere that they have to prove that you didn't maintain the transmission?

When mine went out, I let the service manager drive it around the block so he could feel what I was talking about with the slipping, and he deemed it as a failure covered under the warranty.

He never asked about any maintenance documentation.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

correction: "covered under the recall." I was at 72K miles.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by Hot Boi
Call Acura client care services. I had mine replaced in Dec and it wasnt covered and thats one of the first things they asked for at the Stealership was all of my previous maint records. Unfortunately I never had any tranny issues until it went bad so I was at around 119k miles with no complaints on file. I was lucky enough for them to pay half of the replacement being that they didnt really have to pay anything due to the mileage and a '99 model.
Which dealer did you take it to???

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
To answer #1:
http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

I think I read somewhere that they have to prove that you didn't maintain the transmission?

When mine went out, I let the service manager drive it around the block so he could feel what I was talking about with the slipping, and he deemed it as a failure covered under the warranty.

He never asked about any maintenance documentation.
The tranny doesn't require maintanance until 100k miles. So what proof do they want? It it their engineers who designed the freakin' thing and it doesn't work... Man, I am pissed... I don't want to pay out of pocket for their crap mistakes.. we'll see what this lady can do for me tomorrow...
Old 06-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Doesn't it require a fluid change @ 30K intervals?

Just to be clear...your car is newer than 2001 right? Otherwise you will have to look into #3 on your list???
Old 06-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
register here by VIN, make a free account and store radio nav codes there too
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
Look in Recall section for info
there is recall- which was to install an external spray bar on the trans to get oil to 2nd gear
That goes from 99 thru 04s

the EXTENDED warranty was a court ordered thing and acura needed a VIN to stop at- so they picked one in late 03, when the court case was trying to settle
The problem was not fixed and they know it

Start with your service manager- he/she makes the call to acura regional rep.
the person at 800 number is NOT an acura tech - they answer a phone line and read from a book- thats it
You have problem x? do you have receipts?
they write a note and a real acura manager calls you back

So DID the car get the recall oil jet kit install install done?- the acura site will say OPEN or FIXED on that section- guess which one means it was installed?

or look on top of trans for a Rube Goldberg mess of metal on top of the trans fill plug~
If you see a fill cap that has ATF on it- you have either a replacement trans done post 2004, or you still need the recall taken care of
There is not a time limit on getting the recall fixed

The dealer must first determine its failed trans- then if out of vin, makes a call on your behalf to acura regional rep
Being nice to these people- service writers and manager is helpful- why should they help someone who is a pain---
nice goes a long way. you love your acura etc

Check the owner book maitenance schedule- it may vary, but I thought there was a trans fluid change due at 60k miles, but the dealer doesnt hassle anyone about that.
I dont rremember it being part of the 105k mile service with water pump and timing belt
Where is soneone getting this 100k number from?

dont have the owner book- here it is for free
click year then model
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
register here by VIN, make a free account and store radio nav codes there too
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
Look in Recall section for info
there is recall- which was to install an external spray bar on the trans to get oil to 2nd gear
That goes from 99 thru 04s

the EXTENDED warranty was a court ordered thing and acura needed a VIN to stop at- so they picked one in late 03, when the court case was trying to settle
The problem was not fixed and they know it

Start with your service manager- he/she makes the call to acura regional rep.
the person at 800 number is NOT an acura tech - they answer a phone line and read from a book- thats it
You have problem x? do you have receipts?
they write a note and a real acura manager calls you back

So DID the car get the recall oil jet kit install install done?- the acura site will say OPEN or FIXED on that section- guess which one means it was installed?

or look on top of trans for a Rube Goldberg mess of metal on top of the trans fill plug~
If you see a fill cap that has ATF on it- you have either a replacement trans done post 2004, or you still need the recall taken care of
There is not a time limit on getting the recall fixed

The dealer must first determine its failed trans- then if out of vin, makes a call on your behalf to acura regional rep
Being nice to these people- service writers and manager is helpful- why should they help someone who is a pain---
nice goes a long way. you love your acura etc

Check the owner book maitenance schedule- it may vary, but I thought there was a trans fluid change due at 60k miles, but the dealer doesnt hassle anyone about that.
I dont rremember it being part of the 105k mile service with water pump and timing belt
Where is soneone getting this 100k number from?

dont have the owner book- here it is for free click year then model
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
1. Already registered at that site.
2. Had the Oil Jet kit installed back in 2004, got the service recall notice. Says FIXED in that spot...
3. Don't see a transmission fluid change at 60k. I am looking at the Maintenance schedule on Myacura.com
4. I was nice to the service lady, she was telling me not to call Honda and that she would talk to the Manager and try to get my transmission replaced. But she told me that I might have to cover a percentage on the costs.
5. I will wait to see what she tells me tomorrow after "speaking" to the Manager.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Grippin' Grain

[QUOTE=indoMFP]Which dealer did you take it to???

I took it to John Eagle Acura b/c its closer to my house and that was about as far as I could have drove it without someone ramming me from behind b/c I couldnt take off. I bought it at Sterling McCall Acura though. I always wonder if it woulda went any different if I coulda got it back to McCall, whos knows they might have pushed for a freebie.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Team Owner

its normal for you to pay labor of 4 hours and they pick up the trans cost when out of vin or past warranty - SOMETMIES YOU GET IT --FREE SOMETIMES NOT
Let the ~lady~ play it out- first the service manager makes the call to acura regional rep and a decision is made
If they give you a bogus answer about you didnt buy there or service there or anything else- open your cell phone and start dialing 1-800-.....and ask to open a claim

They may be trying to look good by covering it without you calling corp-
was the writer a new employee?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 PM
What your problem is?

Originally Posted by Hot Boi
I took it to John Eagle Acura b/c its closer to my house and that was about as far as I could have drove it without someone ramming me from behind b/c I couldnt take off. I bought it at Sterling McCall Acura though. I always wonder if it woulda went any different if I coulda got it back to McCall, whos knows they might have pushed for a freebie.
I took it to Sterling McCall and I must say I never liked the people there, but the lady that is handling my case is awesome. She is really nice and pleasant to speak to. She tells me that I will have to pay for a new ECU (typical costs $150 to $250) and that she was able to 'convince' the manager and Honda of North America to do it for free. After they replace it, I have a 3 year, 36k miles warranty on the new trans. We will see how it all goes.

its normal for you to pay labor of 4 hours and they pick up the trans cost when out of vin or past warranty - SOMETMIES YOU GET IT --FREE SOMETIMES NOT
Let the ~lady~ play it out- first the service manager makes the call to acura regional rep and a decision is made
If they give you a bogus answer about you didnt buy there or service there or anything else- open your cell phone and start dialing 1-800-.....and ask to open a claim

They may be trying to look good by covering it without you calling corp-
was the writer a new employee?
1. She has worked for Sterling for a while (over 10 years)
2. I just stayed positive and was nice to her, and in turn she reciprocated.
3. See above for resolution.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Grippin' Grain

Man thats good. Really makes me think they would have gave me a freebie.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

the ol-- I convinced the manager and acura--- story~
While the service Writer can have some influence- and some long term employees may have actual authority on behalf of the manager...
Everyone likes to be the hero in a situation

Thats a deal with just buying the ECU and getting 3/36 warranty on it-
take ice cream bars-popsicles ~for the shop~ when you pick up the car
Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Grippin' Grain

While the service Writer can have some influence- and some long term employees may have actual authority on behalf of the manager...

The donuts dont work anymore. lol
Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
What your problem is?

Yeah, I don't know how much of that is fluff.... I really think my vehicle falls in the category for the repairs as I got the notice from Acura about the oil jet kit (which i think only those suspected of having the failing transmission failing would get). I think she wanted to paint the picture as I would not qualify and that she would work on it and save the day, thus making her and the dealership look good and entice me to come back to them for everything else. Do I believe her, pretty much no; but I am getting my vehicle repaired, so I don't care...

I just thought she was cool because every time I went into Sterling McCall Acura, all the folks there seemed to be a bunch of assholes. From the manager to the bloody sales guys. They try to make you feel stupid for asking certain questions and also for trying to deal on vehicles. They then go from bitchy little assholes to tails in between the legs dogs when you start asking them certain questions and start to prove your point with actual facts... so to deal with a nice person is a change from that dealership, so I am pleased...

I don't know about the ice creams, but maybe i will buy some touch-up paint from them at an inflated cost? Would that suffice?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

No= parts is not service dept,,, touch up paint is only 10 bucks-
5 bucks of popsicles in a box will take care of all the writers and manager- plus the tech who did the real work, and a few left for the girls in the office who do your paperwork

the recall is totally different from the extended warranty
the warranty was court ordered- you can look up the settlement details on acura.com or azine, but there is a last VIN that is named in the court case. it was mid to late 03 production
Past that VIN #, even the cars built with the exact same parts the very next day--are the cars that get ~goodwill~
The recall to install the external oil spraybar also has a vin range, and it goes from 99 thru 04s
A slipping clutch pack and a broken gearset are very different failures

Every car in the stated VIN range NEEDS the recall done-
only a percentage of the trans have the failure. Does it seem like everyone here has- of course! its a tech help forum!!!

Thats like gen3 now has a power steeing hose recall- potential for underhood fire when fluid sprays all over hot exhaust
Will it happen to every car???- hopefully not-
but they have to bring every single one of them in and replace the suspect parts- at no charge to the customer- just to be safe
If 1 person dies- thats 2 too many
and standing there next to your car- helplessly watching it burn to the frame is such a bummer in the middle of your day.
IMO- Everyone should carry an extinguisher- but that fire would need several of them.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 AM
What your problem is?

UPDATE:
I got my car back from the dealership yesterday after 11 days and the car shifts very well and feels better. One issue I have is that my car vibrates when I come to a stop after a drive. Gonna try take the car back to dealership.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

Take it back right away- it should be like butter now, vibration may be loose bolt or bad mount- they should have checked all the mounts while it was in the shop
11 days is a longer time than normal, but free always has some element of cost

Trans break in:
Be gentle-to normal driving first 500 miles
next 500 drive normal to aggressive
1000+ go have fun
Old 06-10-2008, 12:17 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indoMFP
I just thought she was cool because every time I went into Sterling McCall Acura, all the folks there seemed to be a bunch of assholes. From the manager to the bloody sales guys. They try to make you feel stupid for asking certain questions and also for trying to deal on vehicles. They then go from bitchy little assholes to tails in between the legs dogs when you start asking them certain questions and start to prove your point with actual facts... so to deal with a nice person is a change from that dealership, so I am pleased...
Sounds like Proctor Acura here in Tallahassee. The only people I have had good experiences with there are the girls that answer the phone and direct your call (I'm sure they're super-nice to everyone) and Bryan Freeland the parts manager. He always gets me whatever I need with no problems.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
What your problem is?

Take it back right away- it should be like butter now, vibration may be loose bolt or bad mount- they should have checked all the mounts while it was in the shop
11 days is a longer time than normal, but free always has some element of cost

Trans break in:
Be gentle-to normal driving first 500 miles
next 500 drive normal to aggressive
1000+ go have fun
Damn, I messed that up... I left the dealer and took it on the highway, but punched the engine to get on the on-ramp. I will follow the break-in instructions from here on out...
Old 06-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Team Owner

Its good to use SS mode a few times and make sure everything is working with a quick test run on freeway as you did.

Its just being extra careful-- to let all the metal parts that contact each other, get to know each other, before putting much strain on them IMO