Transmission GONE after 1 week of owning F$#$ TL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 11:18 PM
Ali
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission GONE after 1 week of owning F$#$ TL!!!

Well after owning my 2000 Acura TL for one week i'm convinced beyond a doubt that Acura is a POS company and doesnt know **** about making a 6 cylinder car with a transmission that can handle it. I was over 300 Miles away on a business trip (first trip I took it on, thought that it would be fun and worry free since the car is a 2000) and the transmission starts to act funny. It got so bad that the engine would downshift and the car would almost flip as the tires would lock and loose traction. well i paid over $400 to have it towed that many miles back to my house and now i'm just sitting here pissed off and not knowing what to do. I swear i've owned BMW's with over 140k miles that were on their first transmission that performed flawlessly. This is ridiculous, what should I do? The car doesnt have the extended warrantee and I live in Atlanta. The car is a 2000 with 70k miles on it (all highway, the previous owner who was the first was a travelling salesman) please help...
Old 07-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Ali
Advanced

oh yeah the check ligth is on (the yellow one) the TCS light is on and the 5th gear signal flashes. also 5th gear is non existant now...
Old 07-09-2002, 11:39 PM
Pro

Take it back to the dealer for a full warranty services on it and take thier loaner for your business trip....good luck..
Old 07-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Advanced

the warranty is out though wil they still cover it?

ps. I'm ali's bro
Old 07-10-2002, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man!!!! I wish you the best ans hope everything works out
Old 07-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Ali
Advanced

and I had just saved up my money for some nice 18's and tires, but now this ****. GODDAMIT....
Old 07-10-2002, 12:56 AM
BDI
Banned

Return that $hit to him...............that's sum focked up $hit.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:34 AM
STi
Racer

i know this must be a big disappintment, but don't go around the forum telling everyone that the car they have and love is a POS

cases like these happen, this happened to a SL500, a BMW 323i, and an Lexus ES300
i'm sure it's not pleasant, but please don't judge the car because of one single incident
cars don't always go out of factories being perfect, this applies to all cars, so i hope you understand, and good luck
Old 07-10-2002, 02:16 AM
Pro

How long is the warranty in the states? It's only 2002, isn't their at least one more year left on it?
Old 07-10-2002, 06:06 AM
Original Member #81

Did you buy it from a person or a dealership......

If it's a dealership they usually give you a 30 day warranty for free.....if it's from a person...call him up and talk to him, if he gives you any inclination that the car acted up before and he never told you tell him to buy it back.

Then come buy mine it only has 35k and it's still under warranty.......and has 19" HREs
Old 07-10-2002, 07:11 AM
Racer

Looks like you bought someone elses problem. I'm sure the previous owner must have known the tranny was going south. I'd have a talk with whoever you bought it from. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy

Sounds like you got it from a private party. I'm sure you read the postings here and knew what to look for, but it's just unfortunate that you didn't get it from a dealership since they will give you some sort of warranty if you bought it as an Acura Pre Owned. As far as having the previous owner responsible for the problems, sorry to tell you this but I don't think that will fly.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

(If you did buy it from another person)

Well like many others here said, you bought another person's problem. 95% that he knew what he was doing and he caught you. Now the chances of you talking to him and getting him to buy it back are slim. Unless the two of you signed some sort of a contract, you are the one stuck with the car and he is somewhere on the beach with your money.

People pull all kinds of scams, if I'd tell you somethings then your perspective on the world might change.

Best of luck with that.

BUT if you bought it from a dealer go to the dealership and tell them to fix (at no cost for you) the car and in the meantime for all the troubles have them give you a 2003 TL-S as a loaner
Old 07-10-2002, 09:10 AM
Ali
Advanced

actually I got this car from an auto auction, it was a lease car that Acura had brought to the auction line. No more warranty on it. and I drove it over 1k miles and this just suddenly happened, before that it was perfect. And for the person that said that this is one little flaw, then what the hell are all the other people on this forum complaining about? there are alot of TL owners with their transmissions going out, and the CL board even has a whole forum dedicated to it... seems like Acura has a problem they dont want to admit...
Old 07-10-2002, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Just an FYI. If anybody wants to avoid this type of situation in the future (buying a relatively new car w/out warranty) www.warrantybynet.com is the way to go. You can get a warranty for up to 100,000 miles. I have a 96 TL and I tell you it was well worth the $1200 I spent on
Old 07-10-2002, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy

Originally posted by jazo
Just an FYI. If anybody wants to avoid this type of situation in the future (buying a relatively new car w/out warranty) www.warrantybynet.com is the way to go. You can get a warranty for up to 100,000 miles. I have a 96 TL and I tell you it was well worth the $1200 I spent on

Too bad Californians can't get it, appreantly it's against some sort of insurance regulation or law here. WTF?

Old 07-10-2002, 10:43 AM
Advanced

How much does a refurbished and/or new tranny cost for a 2000 TL? My TL has 23k on it, I don't expect anything other than the tranmission to fail. Transmission failures are definately unacceptable but after reading all these posts, I guess it's part of owning a TL.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by rtype
How much does a refurbished and/or new tranny cost for a 2000 TL? My TL has 23k on it, I don't expect anything other than the tranmission to fail. Transmission failures are definately unacceptable but after reading all these posts, I guess it's part of owning a TL.
It will cost you less if you buy extended warranty then buying a used tranny with labor. I didn't buy the extended warranty at the time I bought my car, but the dealer told me that I can get it before the existing warranty is expired for less.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by rtype
Well its not part of owning a TL. Look at the number of people on this forum. About 7% of them have these problems. I wouldn't say that its a problem. Why not ask this question instead of saying that "it's part of owning a TL", How many people here with a 30K+ miles have transmission issues? And do a search, this topic has been beaten to death.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Ali
Advanced

Originally posted by Alexxx

Well its not part of owning a TL. Look at the number of people on this forum. About 7% of them have these problems. I wouldn't say that its a problem. Why not ask this question instead of saying that "it's part of owning a TL", How many people here with a 30K+ miles have transmission issues? And do a search, this topic has been beaten to death.
Transmissions should last at least 100k miles, especially if its all highway miles. transmissions failing when a car is only 1 or 2 years old is absurd... There is a design flaw, some people dont want to admit it. when the transmission gives on your car we'll see who is pissed.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well I was well aware of the transmission issue before buying my TL-S. From what I learned from this board, that the trannies that were made in Spring of 2001 were contaminated by the transmission fluid. We had an entire thread dealing with VIN# (which show you when your car was made).

I took up the extended warrenty and if my trans. goes then I will go to the dealer and have it replaced.

What you should worry about now is how to get yours fixed and not telling us that Acura doesn't want to admit it. How much did you pay for your car? What were the rules at that auction (as far as what you could have done to check the car at a shop or take it for a test drive)? Did you sign anything that would mention 30 days warranty or something of the sort?

I'm only trying to help you because its kinda boring at work and you are in some deep sh*t.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Ali

Transmissions should last at least 100k miles, especially if its all highway miles. transmissions failing when a car is only 1 or 2 years old is absurd... There is a design flaw, some people dont want to admit it. when the transmission gives on your car we'll see who is pissed.

I think you should get everyone that has the tranny problem together and petition a recall to Acura.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:49 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
That's the risk of buying a used car. You never know if the seller had beat the $hit out of the car. Maybe that's the reason he/she was selling it. It could happen to any used cars.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by silver03TL

I think you should get everyone that has the tranny problem together and petition a recall to Acura.
that's a good idea! Auction checks car before it leaves..if u drive it more than 200 miles they won't take it back if it gets any major problems. BTW we are dealers our selves Anyhow this car ran fine in town where it would only run for maximum 1 hour at a time. It didn't show itself until we ran it through Alabama yesterday after about 2-3 hours. There was no way to find this problem without having driven it that long ad even now that I have let it cool down over night the tranny still is getting better and better. Yesterday at one point it wouldn't even go into the reverse gear..it would just sit there as you gassed up but now it's working again and even shifting when yesterday it wouldn't go past 1st gear..Obviously i got ripped there is no doubt the car runs fine for 1 hour or so before the thing heats up so no inspection place would have found out about it. Corporate which i just talked to basically told me to go suck a big fat **** and they don't give a crap if i ever even look at an acura again..By the way he claimed that he wasn't responsible because he didn't know how the car was serviced and when i proved to him that the car was lease and i got all the papers that prove acura serviced it for everything he just said too bad. So if u ask me with this kind of service i am going to go to every board and talk about this. What kind of car is it when after 2 years the tranny falls out??? I've seen american made cars that last better than this...
Old 07-10-2002, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would speak to Acura Client Services and let them know you are aware of the transmission issues with the TL. All manufacturers have "unwritten" warranties and cover vehicles at their discretion. Raise a big enough stink about it and see what happens. My dealer mentioned Acura was considering extending the warranty to 100K due to all the problems they have been having....
Old 07-10-2002, 12:55 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

I bought a Mitsubishi w/54,000 miles on it and the manual tranny ended up have tons of problems right away....+ my extended warranty refused to repair it because it wasn't "broken into two pieces". Not only did I get screwed on the car I also got screwed another $1000 by the warranty.

So....you can't single it out as an Acura/Honda problem. It happens to many manufacuters.

This is why I'll never buy a used car again, especially if it has more than 10k miles on it. NEVER - EVER - AGAIN
Old 07-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Racer

Try to buy extended warranty?..

Hey, if it works while its cold, buy extended warranty, let them inspect car after its been sitting overnight, and THEN get a new tranny. Would still cost you a few $$$, but I bet a lot less than if you pay for it out of your own pocket. AND you will have a warranty...

Just an idea...
Old 07-10-2002, 01:11 PM
7th Gear

it's true, i have and love my 2000 TL, however its quality is a POS

As restated billions of times before. Acura needs to stand up to its "luxury" and quality standards instead of making POS squeaking, rattling, transmission-failures, buggy cars
Old 07-10-2002, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Isn't the powertrain warranty longer than the bumper to bumper warranty on our cars?
Ed
Old 07-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Shoofin'TL
Isn't the powertrain warranty longer than the bumper to bumper warranty on our cars?
Ed
In Canada, the powertrain warranty is 100,000 kilometers or 60,000 miles. I expect its the same in the USA.

I do not want to be a jerk, but there is a reason why Acura sent that car to an auction. It would be sellable on an Acura lot. I would never buy a vehicle from an auto auction.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:32 PM
Advanced

how do u think dealers live if there was no auction??? It sends the cars there because it suddenly has 500 leased cars returned and it can't sell them on it's lot and plus they've already been almost paid for. Anything they get for them in the auction is pure profit. This is with every auction and almost all companies bring cars and 99% were lease cars. Including the one I got i've also found out that u can't accomplish anything over the phone with these guys...just tow the car to the dealership make a big scene in front of their customers and see how they cater to ur needs We'll find out tomorrow if they'll fix it or not
Old 07-10-2002, 05:33 PM
Advanced

PS. anyone want a 2000 acura 3.2tl w/ new tranny email me sellin for 19500
Old 07-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Instructor

as someone already said, your problem originated when you bought a car from auction. i would never do that...I would rather just pay a little more for peace of mind getting it from a dealer
Old 07-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Ali
Advanced

Originally posted by taestee
as someone already said, your problem originated when you bought a car from auction. i would never do that...I would rather just pay a little more for peace of mind getting it from a dealer
lol, its not because the car was bought from an auction, the car was inspected thoroughly (at the auction) to see if the car is good and if there is anything wrong with it. the car checked out fine then the tranny just gave up after a 1000 miles... Now i would think it was an isolated incident if alot of other TL owners werent having the same problem. The previous owner put all highway miles on the car, around 60k or so in one year so you know the tranny wasnt beat on (no stop and go traffic)
Old 07-10-2002, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BLEXV6

In Canada, the powertrain warranty is 100,000 kilometers or 60,000 miles. I expect its the same in the USA.

I do not want to be a jerk, but there is a reason why Acura sent that car to an auction. It would be sellable on an Acura lot. I would never buy a vehicle from an auto auction.
It's 100,000 KM or 5 years (or is it 4 years? I forget), whichever comes first. You can bet if you can keep your TL under 100,000 KM, but if it's over X number of years, you're still screwed if you decided to take it in for warranty.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:18 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally posted by Ali

lol, its not because the car was bought from an auction, the car was inspected thoroughly (at the auction) to see if the car is good and if there is anything wrong with it. the car checked out fine then the tranny just gave up after a 1000 miles... Now i would think it was an isolated incident if alot of other TL owners werent having the same problem. The previous owner put all highway miles on the car, around 60k or so in one year so you know the tranny wasnt beat on (no stop and go traffic)
Do you know the previous owner ? How did you know if he/she didn't do anything wierd to the car, such as go racing in the middle of the highway shifting in and out of neutral, or failure to service the transmission during the high mileage ? If you bought the car from a dealer, at least you can give $hit to the manager, who may fix it for free as a good will or under hidden warranty. But now you have lost this edge buying in an auction.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:18 PM
Pro

Sorry to hear of your ill fortunes.

Looks like you bought an abused car. New car dealers like to unload their dogs they get from trade-ins at auctions to avoid future problems. They keep the good ones to re-sell themselves. Was the auction price substantially below book value??
Old 07-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Racer

Re: Transmission GONE after 1 week of owning F$#$ TL!!!

Originally posted by Ali
Well after owning my 2000 Acura TL for one week i'm convinced beyond a doubt that Acura is a POS company and doesnt know **** about making a 6 cylinder car with a transmission that can handle it. I was over 300 Miles away on a business trip (first trip I took it on, thought that it would be fun and worry free since the car is a 2000) and the transmission starts to act funny. It got so bad that the engine would downshift and the car would almost flip as the tires would lock and loose traction. well i paid over $400 to have it towed that many miles back to my house and now i'm just sitting here pissed off and not knowing what to do. I swear i've owned BMW's with over 140k miles that were on their first transmission that performed flawlessly. This is ridiculous, what should I do? The car doesnt have the extended warrantee and I live in Atlanta. The car is a 2000 with 70k miles on it (all highway, the previous owner who was the first was a travelling salesman) please help...
\

Haahaa... Its called buyer beware.. the guy before you probably beat the crap out of it and you bought it. Did you even drive it or look at it or just buy it??? I sure dont blame Acura for your poor decision.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Ali
Advanced

Re: Re: Transmission GONE after 1 week of owning F$#$ TL!!!

Originally posted by y2ks2k

\

Haahaa... Its called buyer beware.. the guy before you probably beat the crap out of it and you bought it. Did you even drive it or look at it or just buy it??? I sure dont blame Acura for your poor decision.
the car's transmission ran fine and smoothly when I bought it and if you had read my post I stated that It had been professionally inspected. I drove it for over 1k miles after that too and it ran fine. then all of a sudden this happens. Now I've bought alot of other cars (BMW's mercedes, etc) from auctions and none of them had these problems. IMO a 2 year old car like this shouldnt have a problem like this. Oh yeah I have all the service records, and all the records, the previous owner was a 40+ year old guy who took it to the dealership for everything, including oil changes, and maintenance.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Pro

Not sure of this, but I don't think they allow you to test drive the cars at an auction.

Quick Reply: Transmission GONE after 1 week of owning F$#$ TL!!!