Tranny Swap Question!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny Swap Question!!

I was wondering since the 2nd gen TL's have so many problems with the transmission, would the 3rd gen TL tranny fit? I figured since they haven't had any problems....yet and engine is very similar, might be a direct swap. I don't want to be in that tranny replacement game everyone's been forced to play.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Bump
Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I'd rather be driving:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice idea. I'm wondering if it'll bolt up properly and if there might be an issue with the wiring/engine management computer? Just some things to consider.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:56 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

I believe the 04's had a problem but don't know what it was. Instead of paying 5000 for a new 04-06 transmission why not just throw one of those Dr. Evil transmissions on the car. I don't know if they cost 5k, just said that in general.

Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blk2001tlon19s
I believe the 04's had a problem but don't know what it was. Instead of paying 5000 for a new 04-06 transmission why not just throw one of those Dr. Evil transmissions on the car. I don't know if they cost 5k, just said that in general.

Just a thought.
I read about the Dr. Evil tranny in another forum, but I don't think it resolved the 3rd gear problem. I looked at the diagrams of the 2nd and 3rd gen transmissions and they look identical to me.

Acura OEM Parts
Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

I'm not getting one but where did it say it didn't solve the problem. It's my understanding that they won't provide what their "secret" is. I mean truelly not a bunch of 5 speed autos were done but to my knowledge none of the transmissions have "deceased" that they did rebuild(mainly referring to the 4 speed accord/cl transmissions)
Old 05-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blk2001tlon19s
I'm not getting one but where did it say it didn't solve the problem. It's my understanding that they won't provide what their "secret" is. I mean truelly not a bunch of 5 speed autos were done but to my knowledge none of the transmissions have "deceased" that they did rebuild(mainly referring to the 4 speed accord/cl transmissions)
In this thread it talks all about it:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=evil

The 4 speed tranny's never had a problem to begin with. The Dr. Evil version is basically for the tranny to handle more power. The TL tranny's problem is the clutchpacks. Unless the redisigned the tranny, its always going to have that problem., just later down the road.
If the 3rd gen tranny mounts to the 2nd gen and doesn't have that clutchpack problem, It'll be easier to find one from a junk yard and be cheaper.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:35 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Originally Posted by Type_S
In this thread it talks all about it:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=evil

The 4 speed tranny's never had a problem to begin with. The Dr. Evil version is basically for the tranny to handle more power. The TL tranny's problem is the clutchpacks. Unless the redisigned the tranny, its always going to have that problem., just later down the road.
If the 3rd gen tranny mounts to the 2nd gen and doesn't have that clutchpack problem, It'll be easier to find one from a junk yard and be cheaper.
really? I didn't know what the transmission problem was .....thanks for informing me of that...

Man ...I know about the problem with the clutchpacks. I'm not new to the website. Why does it matter if the transmission is built to hold power? If that's the case that means it can hold stock power also. Again, Dr.evil hasn't and probably won't disclose everything that he does to the transmissions so who knows if he changes the clutchpacks nor I care. I was making a suggestion. I won't waste money on an replacement from acura or dr.evil for that matter. Enjoy the automatic transmission and good luck in your quest for swapping these transmissions.

Again, Good luck.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:58 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

"Hi I'm the ECU from your 2nd GenTL... Where did this F*C%ing tranny come from? How am I supposed to talk to it?"

If you wanted to swap the 3rd gen tranny onto the 2nd gen you would be opening a can of worms you don't want to..

First comes the 3rd gen ECU to allow the 3rd gen tranny to talk to the car, then the ECU can't communicate with the engine, so the next logical thing is to see if the 3rd gen tranny and engine will fit into the 2nd gen TL... and while you are going through that much changes you might as well add the 6MT tranny and the 3rd gen engine aswell.. then you'll have many more issues, like the ECU communicating with the dash cluster, ABS, VSA, etc.

The best options are a CL 6mt tranny into a 2nd gen TL (ala Fsttyms1), or a Dr Evil tranny.. the reliability is there for other tranny models, I 'm sure they would back up anything they would send you.. ifit were to fail they most likely would step up and help you with teh replacement/fixing.... Hell they would want to know for furure design purposes..
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

I completely forgot about the ecu issue. Good point Residual Freedom.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
"Hi I'm the ECU from your 2nd GenTL... Where did this F*C%ing tranny come from? How am I supposed to talk to it?"

If you wanted to swap the 3rd gen tranny onto the 2nd gen you would be opening a can of worms you don't want to..

First comes the 3rd gen ECU to allow the 3rd gen tranny to talk to the car, then the ECU can't communicate with the engine, so the next logical thing is to see if the 3rd gen tranny and engine will fit into the 2nd gen TL... and while you are going through that much changes you might as well add the 6MT tranny and the 3rd gen engine aswell.. then you'll have many more issues, like the ECU communicating with the dash cluster, ABS, VSA, etc.

The best options are a CL 6mt tranny into a 2nd gen TL (ala Fsttyms1), or a Dr Evil tranny.. the reliability is there for other tranny models, I 'm sure they would back up anything they would send you.. ifit were to fail they most likely would step up and help you with teh replacement/fixing.... Hell they would want to know for furure design purposes..
The 6MT CL swap, is not going to be any easier. There's more parts involved and more modification's, and sure gonna run into ECU problems as well. I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen tranny bolts right up and getting the right ECU to work with it, would be a lot less headaches. The engine for both gens are not that much different either. In comparison with the TLS, the 3rd gen engine is practically the same. All that changed pretty much, was the body. The parts are still the same.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The problem for the 3rd gen tranny on our cars is the ECU controling. The ECU on the 3rd gen had drive by wire control and controls alot more of the engine tranny functions. The tranny should bolt right up. It uses the same block design. I think it would be a extreme pain to get the wiring to function properly trying to use it(but then again who knows till someone is willing to try)
Old 05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The problem for the 3rd gen tranny on our cars is the ECU controling. The ECU on the 3rd gen had drive by wire control and controls alot more of the engine tranny functions. The tranny should bolt right up. It uses the same block design. I think it would be a extreme pain to get the wiring to function properly trying to use it(but then again who knows till someone is willing to try)
I agree with you. Won't know till you try it. How many people said it wasn't possible for the project your working on now, and now is almost complete. I'm gonna look more into it. I'm sure theress a solution.