Tranny Failure - Good Dealer Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 07:49 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Failure - Good Dealer Report

Well, it finally happened ... tranny totally took a sh** at 13K. The "good" part about it (if anything about it culd be considered good) is that Acura Roadside Assistance and my dealer were both excellent in getting things resolved. I live in the western Chicago 'burbs, anf the towing company Acura used, Moro's Towing, was great. On time, new truck, experienced driver. My dealer, Continentla Acura, got my car in the next morning, confirmed the need for a new tranny, and had it installed and back to me in 3 days. When asked about the "new" tranny, he said that it was rebuilt, but with the updated 3rd gear package and torque converter. So far, so good...

Anyway, kudos to Continental Acura. So far, they have been a great dealership for service.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:14 PM
Pro

Re: Tranny Failure - Good Dealer Report

Originally posted by napertls
Well, it finally happened ... tranny totally took a sh** at 13K. The "good" part about it (if anything about it culd be considered good) is that Acura Roadside Assistance and my dealer were both excellent in getting things resolved. I live in the western Chicago 'burbs, anf the towing company Acura used, Moro's Towing, was great. On time, new truck, experienced driver. My dealer, Continentla Acura, got my car in the next morning, confirmed the need for a new tranny, and had it installed and back to me in 3 days. When asked about the "new" tranny, he said that it was rebuilt, but with the updated 3rd gear package and torque converter. So far, so good...

Anyway, kudos to Continental Acura. So far, they have been a great dealership for service.
Hey napertls, how's that new (rebuilt) tranny working out for you? Is it noticeably smoother? I, too, am expecting my tranny to go anyday. Started to feel weird jerks when shifting from third to fourth. So, if your dealer treated you really well, I might pay them a visit in the near future when my tranny takes a dump.

axleback
Old 11-23-2002, 03:10 AM
Racer

See, that is what my dealer said also about the "upated" tranny, though they took a week and a half, however other members had repeat failures, 3 to 4 times, how do we explain that?
Old 11-24-2002, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Tranny Failure - Good Dealer Report

Originally posted by axleback

Hey napertls, how's that new (rebuilt) tranny working out for you? Is it noticeably smoother? I, too, am expecting my tranny to go anyday. Started to feel weird jerks when shifting from third to fourth. So, if your dealer treated you really well, I might pay them a visit in the near future when my tranny takes a dump.

axleback
me too, I feel those weird jerks. I have 65000km though aka 39000mi.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:58 PM
Instructor

I just had my tranny replaced in my 7 month old 2003 TL-S. I obviously called Acura to b!tch and asked for an explanation of what was done to repair the problem.

I first asked if they were putting in the same crap that they are taking out and they told me that the transmission was changed.

I then questioned the fact that they are putting a "rebuilt" tranny in my car and that I was not happy about that. They continued to tell me that it is not a rebuilt tranny, but a "remanufactured" tranny. The only thing they use is the "shell" of the transmission and the rest of it is new.

I asked what failed in the tranny and I was told that it was a bad bearing --- that is all they knew. Any other detailed question I was asked was shot down because they did not know.

As far as it feeling smoother......It is tough to tell. I was driving a 4 cyl. rental around for a week so when I got back in my car, it felt great! I don't have any of the harsh lower gear shifts that I had before. I'm waiting to really test it though. I want to "break it in" first before I slam on it!!
Old 11-25-2002, 12:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Napertls ...

I live in Naperville, myself.. in fact i bought my car from Harvey Suga at Continental ... mine went at 14K, and it wasn't a pain in the arse at all to have continental look at it and replace it.. in fact, the first replacement they received, they installed, and it failed on them ON THE SPOT... ha! I just laughed, I'm sure they did too, they have a pretty good idea how back Acura fudged up on this one.

Those Continental boys are good, but the new McGrath Acura in westmont, IL, is even better. They warrant ALL Comptech mods (installed by them of course) for the length of your cars warranty. In fact, they have RSX-S's on the lot with mods installed, factory new... gotta love that. Continental USED to be like that a few years ago, but they changed their policies.

best of luck w/ the new tranny, i just receive my letter from Acura in the mail saying my car's tranny will be covered for 7 years, 100K. That's a big big big relief. First thing I did was call Mike over at Continental and verify that Continental would stand by that letter, and he confirmed it..

To the person who asked, ... my new tranny (now has over 6K on it, since my first failed at 14K) is just as smooth as when I first bought the car... it doesn't shift any faster or slower than the original. Sometimes my heart skips a beat when I think it might have shifted late ... but I realize that i'm just being paranoid. Don't really care how many trannies I go thru now that I got the 7/100K deal... I was only gunna keep this car for 5 years anyhow.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:10 AM
3rd Gear

The new tranny has been great. The most noticeable difference (other than the fact that this one actually allows the car to go forward) is the "tightness" of the shifter. This is starting to "break-in" though.

I also get a little paranoid with some of the shift lag, but it's normal and I'm getting used to it. Hopefully I won't have a repeat performance, but I do feel better that it'll be covered...