In traffic, throttle got stuck and went to 5 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In traffic, throttle got stuck and went to 5 rpm

Hi everyone, I had my kid in the car going to a b-day party in Queens, NY. For some reason, in traffic for a long time the car wants to move forward and I really have to hold the brakes down.

It did that for a while and then suddenly the RPMs rised 5k and wouldn't come back down. I turned the car of immediately and then turned it back on and the RPMs were still at 5k. I tapped the pedal a little and it did the same thing. Now there's traffic all around me and I got my kid in the car so I popped the hood and call the police.

The cops came with a tow truck that pushed me to a side road. After that the car drove fine and was idling fine. Anyone know what could be wrong? I think its the throttle body related. Is there a how to instruction on how to repair this. I want to get this fixed today, I'm starting a new job Monday and its kind of car. Thank you.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:05 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
your ac is on when the luges forward. happens to all of us. the ac kicks in or something and the engine revs up a bit more so the car doesnt stall.

check your tb cables. if they get stuck that can happens. seafoam the car or use the spay type can seafoam for the tb. it will clean the tb out better than the liquid type
Old 06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this happened to a friend of mines and it turned out it was just his tb cables getting stuck
Old 06-06-2009, 08:47 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
this happens to me all the time, sometimes without the a/c coming on. i just finished cleaning out the EGR ports today thinking that might help. still i got a high idle after letting my car idle for about 10 min, but after driving for about 3 miles it has seemed to go away now. i also cleaned out my idle control valve a little bit as well.

does this mean i might want to look into to getting a new idle control valve? because once my engine gets warm and sits a little bit in traffic i get a high idle around 1500 rpm. its enough were i have to push down pretty hard on the brake to keep the car from driving away. even after a little bit i can hit 45 mph with my foot off the gas from a dead stop. but after the car is moving for a while this whole problem goes away. i do a lot of highway and back road driving, very little city driving. but if i do city driving i am almost counting on getting a high idle 1500- 2200 rpm. is it over heating issues? my temp gauge reads fine. and this never happens when it is cold out.

but at least my engine is running so much soother now since cleaning out the EGR ports, they were 1/2 clogged. i was pulling out finger fulls of gunk out of the intake manifold. yuk
Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Clean you throttle plates and bore. I cleaned mine today on my first gen because it was idling very low. The spray cost me less than $4 at Autozone. All you need is something to cover your face, an old tooth brush, cotton balls, and gloves. Then just follow the directions on the can and then clean it away. See if that fixed it.

Like mentioned before. I would seafoam the car. You can pick up a can of seafoam for about $9 at Autozone as well. I would also check the cables. When the car is off, push the throttle down and see if it is getting stuck at all. Sometimes the cord needs to be cleaned so if you get the throttle body cleaner just spray it on there and wipe.

You can make this about a 1-2 hour project.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 AM
2003 TL-p

i am going to give a good seafoam and see what that does. i did it before in the vac port but i don't think it hit all the cylinders. hopfuly it can clean out everything and restore a normal idle. ill spray it in the TB in hopes to reach all the engine parts.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:01 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Your car may stall on you or not start up right away after you use the throttle cleaner. It took my car 3 starts to car and then after I got it started I had to give it a little gas to dry out the rest of the cleaner. I rev'd the engine for about 2 minutes between 2 and 3 RPMs to ensure that all of the cleaner dried and got out of the engine.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:42 PM
2003 TL-p

well i took off my intake and spayed seafoam in the TB with a spray bottle. did about a 1/2 of can in 3 sessions. seems to help keep my idle more constant. i drove around about 15 miles and after that my engine seemed smoother and idled much better. i pored seafoam in the idle control valve as well and that seemed to help a lot.

to the OP, do a good seafoam and check out our diy for EGR port cleaning. it has helped my idle problem for now. i will keep you guys posted if my idle problems come back.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
use the MAIN vac port- nipple- at the TB to manifold connection
Cant miss it- only hose with a squeeze clamp you can open with your fingers

That feeds direct to all 6 intake runners and cylinders
Going tru the TB is less vacuum- and less swirling action -which we want lots of
hold the spray straw or liquid carrying hose an inch away from the port- it will make tornadoes of seafoam going in~ very cool science at work

Lube the throttle/cruise cables- even take them loose and spray inside the cable housing

Long periods at idle with ac on and brakes pressed will drain all the vac the engine is making just to run systems- try putting it in Nuetral and 1200 rpm
Let off the brake a minute
See that big thing on the firewall with a giant sized hose going to it- thats a VAC hose no less! vac assisted braking- `brake booster`...you are draining that storage source

If the brake pedal goes down quickly when stopped you have a master cylinder issue
Have you flushed the brake fluid? ever? in the last year?